Notices

Velocity 430 w 450Rs

Old 10-01-2021, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by cp5899
I like the look of the boat and don't think the outboards look out of place. Who is involved with velocity now? When I owned my velocity years ago Steve and Kenny were still around, but then heard Velocity was bought out. I saw a velocity 26' bay boat a few years back that had a mass price reduction. When I asked the dealer why the huge price drop I was told that velocity had closed down. Glad to hear they are still around making fast boats. My 280 was fun boat.
Scott Mccormick who used to work there and also raced Velocities is one of the primary's. I know others but they are not public in their part. The plant is not far from the old building they used to be in. Wlater Braithwaite is VP of sales and Marketing. Very active on Facebook.

All composite construction now of course.
Old 10-04-2021, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Fellas,

Been a long time since I have posted but saw this thread come through my email. I sold my 99 Velocity 280 that I had for 20 years this spring and have been looking at a new Velocity 290SC with twin OB's. So I've been following Velocity for a while now on social media and trading emails with Scott and Walt. Here are a few answers to your questions and some general things to know..

I will say that I am planning on ordering one next year. My quandary is that I love the 300R engines compared to the 400R but do I go with the 100MPH embroidered seats that look super cool when the boat only does 93-94 with the 300R's? I could probably put a pair of cleavers on it and eek out 100 if I needed the legitimacy. Or maybe I just get the 400R's and deal with the potential shorter lifespan, not quite as easy maintenance, and not as great sound. I keep hoping in a year from now Merc will announce a 320R to replace the 300. They came out with a 360APX which is a radical race version of the 300R so I would think they could push the 300R to a 320 in the future and keep it reliable for the consumer. Time will tell..

Anyhow here are my notes and observations on Velocity Powerboats. The management there by the way has been nothing but very gracious and responsive to any emails I send their way!

1.) They are and have been very busy building new boats the past year and a half. Most of these are the new twin OB design 290SC model.

2.) They've been expanding and hiring because of the order back log which is great news!

3.) The 290SC model does go over 100MPH with twin Mercury Racing 400R and Max5 ST props. I've heard 104+ and if you pause some of their Facebook video's in the right spot you can see 101-102. Keep in mind they have only sold a few of these and have not had a lot of seat time getting the performance perfectly dialed in.

4.) They also show a video of a 290SC with twin 450R's but I have not seen word yet of top speed. Probably around 110-112 if I had to take a guesstimate which is insane in that size and hull boat.

5.) I have not yet seen a 320SC with twin OB's. I'd love to purchase a 320SC instead of the 290SC for the added cockpit room but honestly the pricing is already up on all the models by 25% because of supply chain, COVID increases, and supply/demand for this boat style and I have to draw the line at around 250-300k which is what a well decked out 290SC is averaging.

6.) Build quality from my old 1999 seems significantly better and I like the new paint scheme options.

7.) They appear to be from my research one of the only few performance boat manufacturer's doing a nice clean twin OB performance boat and actively promoting and posting info on social media.

8.) My only gripe of the new Velocity is that they need a larger dashboard that can accommodate twin screens larger than 5" simrads.

The video of the black, red, and white 290SC with Twin 400R's that they have listed on Facebook and Youtube is outstanding. I'm going a bit crazy without a boat now and love this thing.. I watch that video once a week as I think it looks awesome! They definitely have a bit of a niche carved out in this segment of the performance boating world.

- Mitch
The following 5 users liked this post by mkr3686:
hogie roll (10-04-2021), Ing (10-30-2021), modvp (10-04-2021), Padraig (10-04-2021), ThisIsLivin (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
never.
You can do two Merc 300R's which will be much better for that size and style and both 300's weight about 200lbs less than one 600.
WHY double everything else? Even the headaches, and I'm sure the single 600 is more efficient.
Old 10-04-2021, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

+1, I'm a velocity fan, but the twin outboard 290SC misses the mark. The water access is pretty much non-existent the way the outboards are mounted. The cockpit is also not extended. So what's the point of the outboards then? It's pretty obvious what the point is with the 430 as you get a nice walk thru transom with generous swim platform incorporated into the outboard bracket. You get a huge lounger off the back that can be used while underway, and you get an extra row of bolster seats and the weight saved allows for decent performance numbers.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jusabum
WHY double everything else? Even the headaches, and I'm sure the single 600 is more efficient.
For me at least the extra safety with having a second motor is paramount. I boat on Lake Erie and the upper niagara river which has a very high current and can be very dangerous for a boater who has lost power or had a mechanical problem. Additionally, twin engines can be slightly better maneuvering around docks. Maintenance on outboards is easier than my old I/O was and the 300R's are supposed to be one of the easiest from a maintenance and access standpoint. If I let a little extra maintenance scare me, I would never be a boat owner lol!
Old 10-04-2021, 02:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
+1, I'm a velocity fan, but the twin outboard 290SC misses the mark. The water access is pretty much non-existent the way the outboards are mounted. The cockpit is also not extended. So what's the point of the outboards then? It's pretty obvious what the point is with the 430 as you get a nice walk thru transom with generous swim platform incorporated into the outboard bracket. You get a huge lounger off the back that can be used while underway, and you get an extra row of bolster seats and the weight saved allows for decent performance numbers.
Actually, your cockpit comments are not true. You would understand if you took some time to review their Facebook pages thoroughly or speak with them. Firstly, the standard cockpit that is shown in most of the pictures for the 290SC has about an extra 10-12" between the driver/passenger seats and the rear bench seat compared to my old Velocity 280 w/Mercruiser. Secondly, they have an optional interior that shrinks down the sunning pad significantly and puts wrap around seating in the back. It opens up the cockpit a bit more and adds more seating space. I personally however like to lay on the sun pad with my wife in the summer. Sure it's a little tighter to climb in and out of the water but I'm not doing that constantly. Certain things in a boat that size can be a trade off. The Velocity 320SC (once I see pictures of the OB model) should have a nice amount of space in the cockpit comparatively.

The following users liked this post:
Wildman_grafix (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 04:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mkr3686
For me at least the extra safety with having a second motor is paramount. I boat on Lake Erie and the upper niagara river which has a very high current and can be very dangerous for a boater who has lost power or had a mechanical problem.!
Honestly, that "rationalization" isn't worth anything in the 21st century... engines just don't quit or break like that, I'm thinking bad fuel is about as bad as it gets now-a-days.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mkr3686
For me at least the extra safety with having a second motor is paramount. I boat on Lake Erie and the upper niagara river which has a very high current and can be very dangerous for a boater who has lost power or had a mechanical problem.!
Honestly, that "rationalization" isn't worth anything in the 21st century... engines just don't quit or break like that, I'm thinking bad fuel is about as bad as it gets now-a-days.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

12 cylinders

Cost more than two 300R's

Heavier than twin 300R's

And HUGE, not even sure the dimensions/set up to get it sitting right.

So where again is the benefit other than saying "I have a merc 600"?
TeamSaris (01-12-2022)
Old 10-04-2021, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

You are incorrect, sorry. .

It is very clear engine failure is still a very common thing across all brands and usually electronic/senor issues causing them.
TeamSaris (01-12-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.