Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boost Octane...local marinas have 87 >

Boost Octane...local marinas have 87

Notices

Boost Octane...local marinas have 87

Old 10-22-2021, 03:38 PM
  #1  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 733
Likes: 0
Received 131 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Boost Octane...local marinas have 87

I am looking for first hand experience in octane boosters. My engine builder says 91-92 octane. As the subject line says, my local marinas only seem to carry mostly 87. After some research, I have decided to keep some BOOSTane (Marine) octane booster in the boat. According to the mix charts, I should be able to use 1/3 ounce per gallon (one ounce per 3 gallons) to boost 4-5 boost numbers (from 87 to 91/92).
Has anyone successfully (or more importantly un-successfully) utilized this product as described?
Thanks!
F14A water jet is offline  
Old 10-22-2021, 03:47 PM
  #2  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

seen it work for some people only needing a. little bit but I like the real thing I'm surprised your marina is not using recreation no ethanol fuel it is all 90 octane in Ohio on my lakes and is called rec fuel so no ethanol
smallblockford is offline  
Old 10-22-2021, 04:16 PM
  #3  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 733
Likes: 0
Received 131 Likes on 81 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by smallblockford View Post
seen it work for some people only needing a. little bit but I like the real thing I'm surprised your marina is not using recreation no ethanol fuel it is all 90 octane in Ohio on my lakes and is called rec fuel so no ethanol
Must be state by state (or region by region). I know there is 90+ at some marinas but the ones "local" to me Perdido Key, Fl./Orange Beach, Al. have mostly 87 (non-ethanol).
F14A water jet is offline  
Old 10-22-2021, 06:38 PM
  #4  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
boatfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Indy
Posts: 2,728
Received 94 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

I have been using Boostane for several yrs and while I will say I would rather just have 93 it has worked for me just fine. I'm running 750 hp with carbs and really need the 93 if I'm planning on running very hard.
boatfreak is offline  
Old 10-23-2021, 09:12 AM
  #5  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 733
Likes: 0
Received 131 Likes on 81 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by boatfreak View Post
I have been using Boostane for several yrs and while I will say I would rather just have 93 it has worked for me just fine. I'm running 750 hp with carbs and really need the 93 if I'm planning on running very hard.
Thanks...and I guess you mix according to there mix chart? Do you throw in a little extra for good meeasure?
F14A water jet is offline  
Old 10-23-2021, 10:17 AM
  #6  
SB
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: On A Dirt Floor
Posts: 11,625
Received 1,242 Likes on 531 Posts
Default

Remember, when sn ictane boostet says ‘points’ it’s a tenth.

Example: raises 5-7 points means .5-.7. 87 will become 87.5 - 87.7 .
SB is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by SB:
IGetWet (11-10-2021), KCHOTBOAT (10-27-2021), Mr. Demeanor (10-27-2021)
Old 10-23-2021, 10:52 AM
  #7  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,412
Received 2,060 Likes on 546 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SB View Post
Remember, when sn ictane boostet says ‘points’ it’s a tenth.

Example: raises 5-7 points means .5-.7. 87 will become 87.5 - 87.7 .
Boostane doesn`t work like that .

ICDEDPPL is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by ICDEDPPL:
12meter joe (10-25-2021), outlw36 (10-26-2021)
Old 10-23-2021, 11:03 AM
  #8  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 733
Likes: 0
Received 131 Likes on 81 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SB View Post
Remember, when sn ictane boostet says ‘points’ it’s a tenth.

Example: raises 5-7 points means .5-.7. 87 will become 87.5 - 87.7 .
I agree and learned this in my research...BOOSTane says Octane #s (not points).


F14A water jet is offline  
Old 10-23-2021, 12:04 PM
  #9  
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OKlahoma City, Lake Tenkiller, OK
Posts: 684
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

SB is correct...tenth of points, not full numbers. This has been thrashed on almost every High performance site in existence.

Don't believe the hype from the snake oil.

Just go to your local FOB airport and buy 100LL and mix accordingly.

There are websites with octane mix ratio calculators.

Toluene also works. S&F has some good discussions of mix ratios.
Taboma is offline  
Old 10-23-2021, 01:20 PM
  #10  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,412
Received 2,060 Likes on 546 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Taboma View Post
SB is correct...tenth of points, not full numbers. This has been thrashed on almost every High performance site in existence.

Don't believe the hype from the snake oil.

Just go to your local FOB airport and buy 100LL and mix accordingly.

There are websites with octane mix ratio calculators.

Toluene also works. S&F has some good discussions of mix ratios.
So you`re saying that the boostane chart is false and the company is practising false advertising? How did you come up with this? Do you have an octane tester?
ICDEDPPL is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.