Notices

Baja 342 weight

Old 12-07-2021, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 241 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Baja 342 weight

Everything is saying 8200lbs dry, My question is how is that 8200lb boat equipped? A/C, generator? Anyone out there have a real answer on the weight of a 342 w/twin 500efi's(headers) no genny, no A/C? Also any idea of what the trailer/tow weight is ? Thanks for any help.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Shotgunn
Everything is saying 8200lbs dry, My question is how is that 8200lb boat equipped? A/C, generator? Anyone out there have a real answer on the weight of a 342 w/twin 500efi's(headers) no genny, no A/C? Also any idea of what the trailer/tow weight is ? Thanks for any help.
I have a 342 with 500EFI’s, no gen, no AC on an aluminum trailer. My understanding is that the 8,200lb weight in the manual and brochure is dry weight without the gen and AC. While I have yet to actually put it on a scale, I estimate that it’s about 10,500 on the trailer. I keep minimal equipment onboard and the water/holding tanks are always empty. The fuel tank, when built without a gen, is 185 gallons so factor that in to your total weight too. With the 500EFI’s, it’s a great running and very comfortable boat. I may be able to arrange for it to be weighed if you need an absolute answer.
The following users liked this post:
Shotgunn (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 05:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja_260
I have a 342 with 500EFI’s, no gen, no AC on an aluminum trailer. My understanding is that the 8,200lb weight in the manual and brochure is dry weight without the gen and AC. While I have yet to actually put it on a scale, I estimate that it’s about 10,500 on the trailer. I keep minimal equipment onboard and the water/holding tanks are always empty. The fuel tank, when built without a gen, is 185 gallons so factor that in to your total weight too. With the 500EFI’s, it’s a great running and very comfortable boat. I may be able to arrange for it to be weighed if you need an absolute answer.
Thank you ! I am in the process of getting one. I have an F350srw, I think it will be up to the task, but was wondering about the hitch, any special stabilizer bars needed? Do the gen equipped models have a larger fuel tank? What is your top speed with those engines?
Old 12-08-2021, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Thank you ! I am in the process of getting one. I have an F350srw, I think it will be up to the task, but was wondering about the hitch, any special stabilizer bars needed? Do the gen equipped models have a larger fuel tank? What is your top speed with those engines?
You’ll love it. Your F350 will have no problem. Most recent Ford factory receivers indicate that a weight distributing hitch is required to achieve the max towing capacity. I only use mine when I’m on highway runs though, not to my local ramp. I also have EOH disc brakes and it tows very nicely. Gen equipped models have a smaller 145 gallon fuel tank. I run stock 30 pitch Bravo 1’s and get about 80 MPH at WOT. Cruise speed is 50 MPH at 3,000 RPM burning approx 23 GPH.
Shotgunn (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 08:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

I have a 2004, about 8 years ago when repowered I was trying to move the CG back and lighten the boat for speed and ride. I took the generator out, removed all old wires, removed shore power wiring and stripped the cabin of seats, under the bed I used a 4inch and 6 inch hole saw to remove excess brace supports like a race car) and took the plywood out of the bed and replaced with composite panels. Replaced a lot of the kitchen panels with 1/8 and 1/4 carbon fiber panels. I have 2 batteries that I moved to the back at the transom. With no fuel I still weighed in at 8200, I would suggest a boat with accessories, stuff in the cabin and fuel would weigh 9200 minimum -10,000 depending on if you have a genset, and a bunch of tools, toys and bullchit. That is actually kind of conservative....

I can tell you from experience, its hard to remove weight, and the stuff you have under the front 2 cuddy seats, under the bed and under the sink probably weighs 200lbs+. I bought a scale and weighed all my stuff. Literally just putting your tools under the back seat and anything other than a float noodle in the cabin is good for faster planing, higher speed and better ride.
Shotgunn (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 05:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja_260
You’ll love it. Your F350 will have no problem. Most recent Ford factory receivers indicate that a weight distributing hitch is required to achieve the max towing capacity. I only use mine when I’m on highway runs though, not to my local ramp. I also have EOH disc brakes and it tows very nicely. Gen equipped models have a smaller 145 gallon fuel tank. I run stock 30 pitch Bravo 1’s and get about 80 MPH at WOT. Cruise speed is 50 MPH at 3,000 RPM burning approx 23 GPH.
Excellent! This one has factory extension boxes, and previous owner claimed" 80 on a good day", so that sounds like he wasnt embellishing. Trailer is EOH discs, but not aluminum. I will have to pick up some bars for the hitch, so if I do go to another lake I will have them. Due to our hobby gaining in popularity, my lake was PACKED every weekend last year with lots of big boats and a few mini yachts lol. It was really choppy, I am looking forward to the upgraded ride.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,047 Likes on 1,357 Posts

dont know what year your truck is, mine had a class 3 hitch from the factory and I put a class 5 on
Shotgunn (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 05:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
I have a 2004, about 8 years ago when repowered I was trying to move the CG back and lighten the boat for speed and ride. I took the generator out, removed all old wires, removed shore power wiring and stripped the cabin of seats, under the bed I used a 4inch and 6 inch hole saw to remove excess brace supports like a race car) and took the plywood out of the bed and replaced with composite panels. Replaced a lot of the kitchen panels with 1/8 and 1/4 carbon fiber panels. I have 2 batteries that I moved to the back at the transom. With no fuel I still weighed in at 8200, I would suggest a boat with accessories, stuff in the cabin and fuel would weigh 9200 minimum -10,000 depending on if you have a genset, and a bunch of tools, toys and bullchit. That is actually kind of conservative....

I can tell you from experience, its hard to remove weight, and the stuff you have under the front 2 cuddy seats, under the bed and under the sink probably weighs 200lbs+. I bought a scale and weighed all my stuff. Literally just putting your tools under the back seat and anything other than a float noodle in the cabin is good for faster planing, higher speed and better ride.
I have always been a minimalist when it comes to gear. I doubt I will even use the water stuff much, and was gonna delete the microwave. The engines have hours on them, so next winter they may get stroked with aluminum heads.
I wanted a 302, but just could not find one. 10000lbs is a bit porky, but it should be pretty comfy.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
dont know what year your truck is, mine had a class 3 hitch from the factory and I put a class 5 on
Good call, mine is a class3.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

I have always been a minimalist when it comes to gear. I doubt I will even use the water stuff much, and was gonna delete the microwave. The engines have hours on them, so next winter they may get stroked with aluminum heads.
I wanted a 302, but just could not find one. 10000lbs is a bit porky, but it should be pretty comfy.
Yes, depending on ext box height, 80 should be doable pretty easily with lite load, lite fuel and labbed props. With boxes it changed mine dramatically in ride and speed it probably picked up 2-3 over no boxes (ride is really really nice with boxes!) . With Raylar 600's I am upper 88ish MPH in perfect conditions lite chop. Tried like hell to break 90 but never could. If you have boxes, get your props labbed by BBlades, made a huge difference for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.