Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What prop to get on plane on one engine? >

What prop to get on plane on one engine?

Notices

What prop to get on plane on one engine?

Old 01-08-2022, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexdenn05
Never thought of doing that. Any other experiences with doing this? Probably would work on a heavy boat, right?
A couple years ago I blew the upper gear set on my port drive causing to lock it up along with the engine. This was on the second day of a two week boating vacation - bummer... For the rest of the trip we just putted around on the starboard engine keeping it below 16-1,700 RPMs to minimize the stress on that drive. Last day came and it was time to put her back on the trailer. I said screw it, let’s see if she’ll plane on one engine. So with just me on board, half tank of fuel, k-planes buried, port drive up as far as it would go (due to the tie bar), I eased into the starboard throttle. At first it was just a whole lot of spinning and cavitation, but then it started to bite. I got her up to 35 MPH on just the starboard drive before backing it down. I probably took years off that drives life... This was in my Baja 342 with 500 EFIs on a 28P lab finished prop.
The following users liked this post:
Smarty (01-08-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

Yeah, nothing I did would push mine over 6-7 MPH on a single engine, so to minimize issues I just go home at 6 MPH. Still faster/easier than a tow.
The following users liked this post:
Gimme Fuel (01-10-2022)