Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Help Deciding - Velocity vs Checkmate (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/375360-help-deciding-velocity-vs-checkmate.html)

Tjmrider 04-09-2022 08:39 AM

Help Deciding - Velocity vs Checkmate

So I'm very indecisive right now and wanted to make a post and see what other people think... I currently have a 2006 Velocity VR-1 with a 496 Mag HO, and I'm thinking about selling it and getting a 1996 Checkmate Convincor 283 with a 502 mag MPI. I am from New England, more specifically I go out of the mouth of the Merrimack river, which the waters out there can get rough, and was the whole reasoning behind this. Both boats are solid, and in great shape, so that's not really the issue. On the price end of things, the guy wants $33k for the Checkmate, and I could get like $38-40k for my Velocity.

Some comparisons:
The Checkmate has a deep V hull, more cabin space, full cabin enclosure (custom made snap-in, like you can walk in it, things actually really cool), has a fiberglass windscreen that comes with it in addition to the regular windshield, more cabinet space under the deck. The stereo system is stock and needs to be completely redone, and the cabin interior is really really outdated, and it has regular trim tabs
The Velocity has a pad style hull, cabins kind of cramped but more updated and has a TV (needs work to make it useful), it has K-planes, has a imco -2" lower unit and also have the original bravo 1x lower unit (needs a rebuild), overall a better looking boat and more updated, and it's powered by a 496 mag HO. The stereo system needs a new head unit and a new amplifier, and with the imco -2 drive it cavitates when trying to go on plane

Both boats are solid like I said, both boats have full Garmin systems, just having a really hard time making this decision because I see pros and cons to both. Someone help me!!!

SB 04-09-2022 08:49 AM

2006 vr1 to a ‘96 something else ? I don’t get it, but i don’t get much. We all have opinions. It’s yours thst matters (in this instance :) )

rak rua 04-09-2022 08:51 AM

Going from a 2006 boat you know very well, that is “……overall a better looking boat and more updated….” to a 1996 model sounds brave. Even if you’re a few thousand better off, you know how quickly that gets eaten up by repairs and upgrades.

I think I’d be trying to find something newer. No hating on the Checkmate but it sounds like you may be going backwards, without much $$ compensation.

RR

bajaman 04-09-2022 09:06 AM

Is there any guarantee the Checkmate will truly handle the rougher water better? Have you tested it, etc? Hours on each boat's engine? You are essentially the same length of hull?
I just searched for '2006 Velocity VR-1' and man...that is one helluva boat you have! Rave review after rave review. Of course it is up to you as others have noted but...yeah, my opinion is it would be a backwards move.

Tjmrider 04-09-2022 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by bajaman (Post 4828339)
Is there any guarantee the Checkmate will truly handle the rougher water better? Have you tested it, etc? Hours on each boat's engine? You are essentially the same length of hull?
I just searched for '2006 Velocity VR-1' and man...that is one helluva boat you have! Rave review after rave review. Of course it is up to you as others have noted but...yeah, my opinion is it would be a backwards move.

Have not tested the Checkmate but a ton of people say that those hulls are amazing in rough water. Checkmate has 350 hours, Velocity has like 390

outlaw511 04-09-2022 09:15 AM

I agree with all the above posts. Why would you buy a boat that’s significantly older than the one you already have ? I’m sure the Checkmate will need some work down the road that you won’t even anticipate. Sometimes it’s better to go with the devil you know than the one you don’t know. If you want another boat, move forward not backwards. Good luck !

Padraig 04-09-2022 09:34 AM

I own a Velocity VR 1, 2005. I have been in smaller Checkmates but not a 28. However can't believe it would ride significantly, if at all, better then the VR 1. The Checkmate will be slower. If the Checkmate does not have K planes that will be an additional expense. What about external hydraulic steering. Last but definitely not least...The Velocity VR 1 is constructed without wood anywhere. IMO, A BIG plus.

How long have you had the Velocity? There is a learning curve to running a Velocity or any performance boat..

Padraig

Tjmrider 04-09-2022 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Padraig (Post 4828347)
I own a Velocity VR 1, 2005. I have been in smaller Checkmates but not a 28. However can't believe it would ride significantly, if at all, better then the VR 1. The Checkmate will be slower. If the Checkmate does not have K planes that will be an additional expense. What about external hydraulic steering. Last but definitely not least...The Velocity VR 1 is constructed without wood anywhere. IMO, A BIG plus.

How long have you had the Velocity? There is a learning curve to running a Velocity or any performance boat..

Padraig

I know, that's kind of a thing right now is I feel I didn't give the Velocity a chance, I have only had the thing for 1 season and put like 7 hours on it. Everyone here is convincing me to keep the Velocity lol, I mean the boat is really nice, I gotta give it that

Indy 04-09-2022 09:52 AM

A good buddy of mine came from the NY Finger Lakes region and brought his `28 Checkmate to the CT coast (Long Island Sound). The Sound can kick up no problem and felt it was just not the proper hull for it, he sold it and got a PowerPlay. I never rode in it but he didn't keep it very long.

CharlieWhiskey85 04-09-2022 10:23 AM

Checkmates are great boats but I've never heard them be like a tank in rough water. Their typically a lighter weight hull so you'll get more speed on less power but I don't see that translating well in rough waters.

Honestly the biggest aspect of this Is going from a boat you know inside and out and the maintenance history in, to someone else's boat your just guessing on.

If your going to do it I would say it would need to be a significant difference to justify the headache of the switch and this just doesn't seem like enough of a change in a positive direction to merit the hassle.

SecondWind 04-09-2022 10:38 AM

I had a Checkmate 259 Convincor. I loved the boat and it would hold it's own in the rough for it's size once full hydraulic steering and HP trim tabs were installed. I would set the drive to neutral and slightly drag the HP tabs in ****ty conditions and would fly level and steady.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...97b4616c1b.jpg

Tjmrider 04-09-2022 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by SecondWind (Post 4828356)
I had a Checkmate 259 Convincor. I loved the boat and it would hold it's own in the rough for it's size once full hydraulic steering and HP trim tabs were installed. I would set the drive to neutral and slightly drag the HP tabs in ****ty conditions and would fly level and steady.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...97b4616c1b.jpg

Yeah this is the 283 convincor, looks very similar, but a few feet longer, the one im looking at is actually the original owner, really well maintained, but does not have hydraulic steering or anything

TexomaPowerboater 04-09-2022 10:47 AM

Checkmate or velocity or apache doesn't mater how good the boat is built if you go out in rough water at speed you will tear the boat up, period. Recommend you find some better water and keep the velocity.

1MOSES1 04-09-2022 11:02 AM

Skip the checkmate…

Indy 04-09-2022 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater (Post 4828359)
Checkmate or velocity or apache doesn't mater how good the boat is built if you go out in rough water at speed you will tear the boat up, period. Recommend you find some better water and keep the velocity.

Yeah well some are true rough water boats and some aren't. I've had both and it's a huge difference...huge.

CharlieWhiskey85 04-09-2022 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 4828367)
Yeah well some are true rough water boats and some aren't. I've had both and it's a huge difference...huge.

I'd have to agree, while their all great builds and manufacturers, and Apache is a very different boat than a checkmate.

Tjmrider 04-09-2022 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by CharlieWhiskey85 (Post 4828368)
I'd have to agree, while their all great builds and manufacturers, and Apache is a very different boat than a checkmate.

I thought that Checkmates we're good in the rough water? They have deep-V hulls

Indy 04-09-2022 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tjmrider (Post 4828370)

I haven't been in a Check but one of our friends that we'd run around with had a Pantera, my buddy said it was no comparison between his old Check and the Pantera. Again no personal experience with the Check but friends with both did.

SB 04-09-2022 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tjmrider (Post 4828348)
I know, that's kind of a thing right now is I feel I didn't give the Velocity a chance, I have only had the thing for 1 season and put like 7 hours on it. Everyone here is convincing me to keep the Velocity lol, I mean the boat is really nice, I gotta give it that

We are just playing with you. The VR1 sucks. No one likes’m. I’ll give you 12k if on a trailer. :) :wink lol

CharlieWhiskey85 04-09-2022 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tjmrider (Post 4828370)

It depends a lot on the model. If you look at a 253 vs a 251 it's super different.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...6c1c551625.jpg

Tjmrider 04-09-2022 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieWhiskey85 (Post 4828386)
It depends a lot on the model. If you look at a 253 vs a 251 it's super different.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...6c1c551625.jpg

Yeah, I know the difference, the one im looking at is the 283. I'm guessing that would be better in rough water, right?

badmonkey 04-09-2022 03:24 PM

I’ve never owned a checkmate or a velocity…but from your initial description….I say keep what you have , install some kplanes if you don’t have them and spend more time running and learning the boat.

good luck !!!

OFFSHOREJOJO 04-09-2022 03:46 PM

Both good boats keep Velocity!

scarabman 04-09-2022 04:00 PM

$33k for a single engine 96 checkmate seems like a pile of money, no?

Anyway, my .02 cents, which is worth less than that..... I have never particularly been a fan of checkmate, for no real reason. In 30 yrs of boating, never drove one, or wanted to, for that matter, until last fall. My new neighbor bought a 30 ft single with a worked engine, and had never driven a performance boat before, so he asked me to take him out. I have to say, all things considered the boat (hull, not his engine) exceeded my preconceptions. It was a windy day with steady bay chop, and I was actually pretty impressed with ride quality. That said, we were alone on the water, so no cross wakes, cruiser wakes etc.. but just the same, I thought the boat did pretty well. It ran out of guts at about 65, which I held it there for awhile (not my boat, so I drove it like a rental:whistle:) but at speed, it held its line pretty well, did not lean into the wind much at all, and didnt seem to bow hunt, like quite a few boats do when high on plane in stiff winds (my buddies formula 330 SS is terrible in this regard)

Ryan00TJ 04-09-2022 05:53 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...bde6001dc9.jpg

Nuff Said.................:champs:

Craney 04-09-2022 06:31 PM

Does the 28 Checkmate have a built in swim platform?

Padraig 04-09-2022 06:38 PM

Another thing to consider besides being a 10 year difference in age and no where equal in things such as hydraulic steering and tabs. TheVR 1 is still being made. The factory is doing well and Velocity is easy to talk with and supportive to their customers. Frankly I think it would be a big mistake to go from a Velocity to a Checkmate. It is somewhat like trading a Covette for a Camero.

Padraig

hogie roll 04-09-2022 07:29 PM

I’d rather have the velocity. But for rough water I’d rather have neither. Get a 35+ twin.

Ryan00TJ 04-10-2022 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Tjmrider (Post 4828348)

7hrs???? That's one weekend of running! Seat time is your friend in this case. Look into a performance driving course. My VR1 is smoother the faster your running.

As mentioned earlier, the VR1 has no wood, vinylester resin construction. Its a far better build setup vs the CM. Velocity's customer service is also second to none.

TeamSaris 04-10-2022 12:32 PM

Checkmate makes a very nice riding performance boat boat depending on the model. Velocity built race boats. Id take the Velocity.

Twin O/B Sonic 04-10-2022 06:11 PM

I've owned both in the pic.
Both killer boats.

Still have the little one.
And love it.
Sold them at a dealer, been to the factory many times.

Ive owned several.

Maybe the most under appreciated performance boat ever.

Their build quality is as good as it gets.

Typically, the Velocity will be faster w/the same power.

The Checkmate will have better amenities.

Dont let anyone fool you on performance either.

A dealer, a 1/2 hr from me, had a similar version of the skinny red one in the pic running 123.

30 yrs ago!

Originally Posted by Tjmrider (Post 4828388)
Yeah, I know the difference, the one im looking at is the 283. I'm guessing that would be better in rough water, right?

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...54587214e.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...14ddf78cf.jpeg

Mariah212Z 04-11-2022 07:02 AM

For faster hull, Velocity has the faster hull with it's notched transom. I personally like the style of the Checkmate however.

Twin O/B Sonic 04-11-2022 07:33 AM

The Velocity has true/flat pad on the bottom too where the Checks still have a slight, 3 - 5* vee so that would also make them faster.

A friend that lives their factory and on a recent tour saw a 29’ being rigged w/twin 450R’s.

They are expecting mid 120’s.

W/a cabin!

Revelocity 04-11-2022 09:19 AM

Tjmrider if you're indecisive about moving to the Checkmate - it's probably wise not to pull the trigger then. I'd suggest hanging in there with the VR1 until you find a boat that you don't have as many reservations about.

It's fair to say that the proportions of the VR1 aren't for everyone. The VR1 was initially designed for speed/APBA F1 racing competition so it had low freeboard, cut-down bolster seats, low cabin and was very weight conscience. Consequently it wasn't targeted for the main stream buyer for the reasons you point out. So Velocity developed the very popular 290 model which married the VR1 hull to a new deck with deep freeboard, full size bolsters and a very generous cabin. The added freeboard, weight and stand up driving make a difference running offshore gaining comfort/space (but losing speed compared to the VR1). That said a 290 would be a good candidate for you to consider gauging performance against ride and cockpit/cabin space.

Dave M 04-11-2022 10:53 AM

No way would I go from a VR1 to a 10yr. older checkmate. If the VR1 doesn't cut it in your waters, you probably need a bigger boat.

ThisIsLivin 04-11-2022 11:00 AM

I have a Velocity 280 and I've run 65 in 3's. I took some friends of my daughters on a ride to Mackinaw City about 30+ miles from our place in 3's and he was so impressed with the ride he sold his Checkmate and bought a Velocity. Driving a Velocity is different than other boats and they like speed in rough water. My first trip out in mine with my wife and we were in 30+mph winds and I tried going slow and it was horrible, she wanted to sell the boat. I went out later by myself and hammered it, it was amazing the difference. The secret is don't go slower than 50 in rough water and keep the trim neutral. Props also make a big difference in ride. In rough water, my Bravo 1 4 blade is the best, in flat water my Hydro has more speed but she likes to fly to much with that prop, it has more bow lift.

Twin O/B Sonic 04-11-2022 02:04 PM

Yee ask and yee shall receive!

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2005...ontent=4112022

dru 04-11-2022 05:17 PM

I’ve owned a checkmate and it twisted like a pretzel in the rough stuff. Wasn’t built for that. Also broke a motor mount off the stringer. Have not heard the same of velocity. Also you have seen velocity in the offshore races. Cannot remember seeing a Checkmate. Just my two cents.

underpsi68 04-11-2022 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic (Post 4828548)
The Velocity has true/flat pad on the bottom too where the Checks still have a slight, 3 - 5* vee so that would also make them faster.

A friend that lives their factory and on a recent tour saw a 29’ being rigged w/twin 450R’s.

They are expecting mid 120’s.

W/a cabin!

The Velocity does not have a flat pad. It has a slight angle to it. Guessing 3-5*. The v on the pad is offset to one side to counter engine torque.

No way would I sell a vr1 and buy a 290sc. To close off a boat to trade for.

I would keep the Velocity over the Checkmate.

I sold my 280 last year after 9 years of ownership. After you learn how to drive it, you will like it more.

Where are you locate? Maybe someone is close to show you how to run it.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...b3d42cbf86.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...6da4f74bd2.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...161a096203.jpg

Indy 04-11-2022 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by underpsi68 (Post 4828640)
The v on the pad is offset to one side to counter engine torque.

Learned something new today!!!