Like Tree0Likes

Manatee Madness Rally

Old 12-05-2002, 11:39 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My Boats: 2006 Hustler 388, 2004 Hustler Talon 25, 1999 30 Spectre cat and 2007 21' hydrostream voyager w/ Merc. 225 EFI

Still,
Brevard had a similiar problem is that the 2 different Manatee Protection Plans that were submitted, were REJECTED by the FFWCC and USFWS! IT kind of the same old story, go and submit it and then we'll, (USFWS) just do what the LAWSUIT settlement tells us to! I afraid it's still the USFWS going thru the motions, and one of the motions is public input meetings!
MD
Old 12-05-2002, 12:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer

Well, I went to the meeting in Tampa...It was a lousy turnout. I think there were only like 300 people there. Nonetheless, the general consensus was positive. There was only a handful of people in favor of the new proposed legislation but an overwhelming majority was against it. I was glad to see a good number of officials present in support of the public.

Here's an excerpt from the St. Pete Times:

"Federal wildlife officials announced last month that they intend to clamp down on permits for new docks, marinas and boat ramps from Pasco County south to the state's southern tip. They expect that to limit the number of boats in areas where manatees congregate. Their goal is to cut the number of manatee deaths caused by speeding boats, which as of the end of November had hit a record high of 91 deaths.

Another imaginative suggestion came from avid scuba diver Norman Linton of St. Petersburg, who said he had heard manatees are "an excellent source of protein and delicious to boot." So, he asked, why not legalize manatee farms and require part of each "crop" be released to the wild?

Among those who spoke against the regulations at the Fort Myers hearing were state Rep. Lindsay Harrington, R-Punta Gorda, recently chosen House speaker pro tempore, as well as a number of local officials, including Lee County Commissioner Andy Coy. Coy said blocking boat docks in Lee County is "like outlawing cabins in North Carolina, basketball in Indiana and Mickey Mouse in Orlando."
Old 12-05-2002, 01:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My Boats: 2006 Hustler 388, 2004 Hustler Talon 25, 1999 30 Spectre cat and 2007 21' hydrostream voyager w/ Merc. 225 EFI

DB,
Here's what the Tampa paper had to say!

http://tampatrib.com/floridametronews/MGAGFD4VA9D.html

MD
Old 12-05-2002, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks Dean!
That's exactly why I don't read that lousy, liberal, POS, poor excuse for journalistic scribbling on toilet paper. The Tribune Sucks!

St. Pete Times, is much more professional, less slanted on most issues and is an award winning paper.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:51 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

My Boats: 1993 Cig

Dean
I hear what your saying..apithy is our worst enemy

Stillcrazy
I didnt say I was giving up...just getting discouraged. I been thru this crap sooooo many times.

Hey Daze!!!
Happy holidays

Dan
Old 12-06-2002, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks Dan,
Same to You, buddy. Happy Holidays!!

This chit gets old, especially when no one listens. I've seen this too many times. Public comment periods basically mean nothing!...I've seen it before when the overwhelming majority of comments are one way, but leglislation will not reflect it. Some one always thinks they know better.
Old 12-06-2002, 09:20 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Here is a letter in our Local RAG newspaper from the LOCAL $MC Employees. who was one of the speakers @ the meeting the other night.
The $MC Propaganda machine never SLEEPS!!

It's funny how the $MC research funding is for everything EXCEPT Manatee boat related Mortalites!!! The $MC will never FUND that kind of research, because they don't want the TRUTH to come out!
That being, RECREATIONAL BOATERS ARE NOT THE VESSELS KILLING 90% of the Manatees!!
Man, I really dislike this *****!!

Manatee Club is doing its work
By Sandra Clinger, Save the Manatee Club, Titusville

Citizens for Florida's Waterways secretary Kelly Haugh's recent letter to the editor challenged Save the Manatee Club to "put up or shut up."

Haugh accused SMC of donating no money for research. But SMC has donated $250,000 for numerous research projects including studies investigating human-manatee interactions, manatee distribution and physiology.

Further, SMC donates to the rescue effort, including the purchase of several agency vessels. The organization has also lobbied for and obtained $2 million for increased federal law enforcement and has spent more than $1 million for education programs and public awareness signs.

SMC fought to get the manatee license-plate bill adopted. The millions of dollars in revenue generated through the voluntary purchase of the plate are dedicated to the state's manatee conservation efforts including research and management programs. This saves tax dollars.

SMC relies on the best available scientific data to support adoption of necessary manatee protection measures. This is why we have been successful in our legal defense of boat speed zones in Florida, including the zone challenge in Brevard County, brought in part by five members of CFW.

Under oath, CFW's own hired expert on manatee hearing conceded slow speed zones are necessary to protect manatees from being killed by boats. The new manatee zones in Brevard still leave approximately 70 percent of Brevard County's waters unregulated.

By protecting manatees, we make the waters safer for humans and manatees and those protections benefit the whole aquatic ecosystem.

When CFW loses its obsession with attacking SMC and refocuses on the real issues, we will be ready to work with them.

MD
Old 12-06-2002, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

UnFukkinbelievable....They are fine spin doctors, but no more.
Old 12-06-2002, 09:26 AM
Stillcrazy

Default Manatee Madness Rally

You are right that the public comments are not going to change anything but the fact that they have stepped on some toes that don't belong to boaters, they will carry the fight that the boaters don't have the guts to do. We now have some people that have $$ and jobs to lose. Not just inconvieniance to a boater. Will it make you mad when they restrict the number of registrations for a given area? I'm hoping that now they will help do what we didn't want to do. Dig into our pockets and geet involved.
SORRY for the venting