Notices

Purchasing Dilemma

Old 07-01-2022, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Purchasing Dilemma

Okay, I have cash together to buy another boat. What are some good sites to find listings? I have had people tell me FaceBook marketplace but I don't do FB. Looking for good old websites that I can look at from my computer.

So here is my dilemma: Smaller (25' ish) with single or Larger 30+' with twins?

I live in northern NV near Lake Tahoe but there are also several smaller lakes in the area. Tahoe is pretty expensive to run on (mandatory inspections, ramp fee, parking, etc) but insanely beautiful. I will definitely be doing some runs on it but will probably do more on the smaller lakes. Also, the water in Tahoe is cold all year round while the smaller lakes are better suited to swim in.

I would also like to do an occasional tow to SoCal to run to Catalina and also Havasu. Probably do The Delta too and would love to do a LOTO trip. Would even consider hauling to FL too. I'm retired so have plenty of time.

Small boat pros:
Cheaper to purchase
Cheaper to run
Easier to tow
Can store in smaller garage (I will be building a custom dedicated garage for it)

Bigger boat Pros:
Redundancy of twins
Docking with twins is a breeze
Bigger is better in rough water
More cabin space
Coolness factor is higher

I've had 3 boats with twins and 2 with singles and I definitely prefer twins. I had a 29 Outlaw for several years and really loved that boat. Having run it for so long I got to know it and its capabilities very well. I would buy another if I could find one reasonably priced.

Speaking of pricing, I know prices now are crazy and I haven't seen a decrease yet. I was hoping current gas prices would shake things loose a bit but I haven't seen it. I would like to buy soon but can and may have to wait until fall or longer.

So, my heart wants the bigger boat but practicality wise, the smaller boat probably makes more sense. What say you all?
Old 07-01-2022, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

How about twin outboards, kind of a middle ground cause their easier to work on and your not maintaining 16 cylinders or feeding them gas. You have to sign up for facebook to find boats out there before they are put on the market these days, not many people using craigslist anymore. Your missing out on probably more than half the market, just suck it up. Other then that you've got this website, powerboatlistings.com, boattrader.com.
The following 2 users liked this post by TexomaPowerboater:
larslindroth (07-03-2022), rak rua (07-01-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 04:35 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

I feel the same about facebook so I have a fake account just for buying/selling stuff. I stay out of all the drama, and I have no personal information available for anyone.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:15 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

As to your actual question, I have battled with a similar dilemma, the pendulum of my boat ownership has swung back and forth a bit over the years. Few years ago I had a 35 Cigarette and in many ways it was really a bit much. Bigger and heavier than I needed, I overpaid for engine builds with questionable attention to detail, and was causing me anxiety every time I ran it.

I was strongly considering a big single I/O (26-28') after my last twin outboard boat bored me to tears. However, I was honest with myself and knew that I wanted the cool factor of twin I/Os, and since this is a toy, not a commuter vehicle or something needed for work, I decided that I wanted the toy I wanted (as long as I could afford it). I ended up with a 32' Sunsation with twin EFI I/Os, and at least so far, it seems to have hit the sweet spot for me.

As with many things, until you have it in your hands it's hard to know just how much you're going to like it.
The following 3 users liked this post by DrFeelgood:
350scarab (07-03-2022), larslindroth (07-03-2022), TomZ (07-02-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 06:24 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 628 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood
As to your actual question, I have battled with a similar dilemma, the pendulum of my boat ownership has swung back and forth a bit over the years. Few years ago I had a 35 Cigarette and in many ways it was really a bit much. Bigger and heavier than I needed, I overpaid for engine builds with questionable attention to detail, and was causing me anxiety every time I ran it.

I was strongly considering a big single I/O (26-28') after my last twin outboard boat bored me to tears. However, I was honest with myself and knew that I wanted the cool factor of twin I/Os, and since this is a toy, not a commuter vehicle or something needed for work, I decided that I wanted the toy I wanted (as long as I could afford it). I ended up with a 32' Sunsation with twin EFI I/Os, and at least so far, it seems to have hit the sweet spot for me.

As with many things, until you have it in your hands it's hard to know just how much you're going to like it.
Quoted for Truth...

Many important points made here, but especially the overarching one is that a boat is a luxury plaything so be honest with yourself, what you really want, and go get it. A key thing I saw in your post was 'the cool factor'. So inversely, would you have buyer's regret if you bought a boat (in this case, the smaller size) that wasn't as "cool" as another one?
Old 07-02-2022, 08:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood

Thanks for the insight. I agree, while I'd love to have a Cafe Racer, I think it is more boat than I need. My old 29 Outlaw was kind of a good "Goldilocks" boat. Not too big or too small. I'd love to find another one.
Old 07-02-2022, 08:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bajaman
Quoted for Truth...

Many important points made here, but especially the overarching one is that a boat is a luxury plaything so be honest with yourself, what you really want, and go get it. A key thing I saw in your post was 'the cool factor'. So inversely, would you have buyer's regret if you bought a boat (in this case, the smaller size) that wasn't as "cool" as another one?
I think you are correct here. If I had a smaller single it would probably be just fine but I would always be saying, "Sure wish I had twins and a little bigger boat". Especially after having owned such boats.

It's funny, when people ask me advice on car purchases I always tell them, "Don't buy a "but" car". They ask what is a "but" car and I tell them, a "but" car is a car you settled for because it was cheaper or close by or readily available or whatever and then after you buy it you keep thinking, "I like this car BUT I wish I had gotten the one with more power, or different color, or the convertible or whatever.

So, I should follow my own advice and not buy a BUT boat!
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (07-03-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 1,324 Likes on 739 Posts

Boat prices seem high but I also see a lot of twin I/O performance boats that seem to be listed forever.

I wonder how many are selling. As for twin OB’s in a performance V that is hard to find.
The following users liked this post:
Liquid Fix (07-05-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 09:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

I go back and forth on this. There are times I really want simple, reliable boating. But I’m not sure I could give up the Twin BBC and true go-fast experience. Don’t get me wrong though - There are moments!!!!,
Old 07-02-2022, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

There's a nice 30 outlaw with twin HO's just popped up at grand sport center

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.