Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
"Stand up" Guy  (Wisconsin Hit & Run Boat Accident) >

"Stand up" Guy (Wisconsin Hit & Run Boat Accident)

Notices

"Stand up" Guy (Wisconsin Hit & Run Boat Accident)

Old 07-14-2022, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

The conversation back at the dock amongst the owner and his friends or passengers after turning off the boats lighting and leaving the scene of an collision must have been interesting.

Last edited by Interceptor; 07-14-2022 at 10:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Interceptor:
masi242 (07-14-2022), Sydwayz (07-15-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
You are correct that’s probably the best plan I’ve heard. A lot of quick decision making in a tense situation.
Or how about you take responsibility for your actions? Not run away or try go find a way to get out of it... Glad your not in this area. I boat on that river personally and for my job and this gives any powerboat a worse name than they already have.
Old 07-14-2022, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

Should’ve put fishing boat in the stories instead of powerboat because that’s what a CC really is right?
The following 4 users liked this post by IGetWet:
1983ScarabIII (07-14-2022), 253 (07-15-2022), beckmwi (07-14-2022), jeff32 (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

I think it depends on the state, here a Lawyer will tell you stop, don't blow, don't give blood, don't do stupid human tricks. Let them do their job, all of those others are building a case against you, shut up and go to jail for a night or few.

Sydwayz maybe has a better plan but still not right. I mean this dude has money and the means for a good defense would have been way better to stay or at least report when you got to shore.

As for the size difference, how do we know? We have a Paddle wheel here on the ICW and I bet it isn't 50 foot long, wider and taller sure but you ever seen the damage a motorcycle that is much smaller will do to a car?

BTW, just playing devils advocate,

Originally Posted by 302Sport
Couple things and I don't drink while operating my boat and do not boat at night, so I'm not standing up for the guy who caused this accident and then left the scene, but:

The way the way the legal system works in most states, if you are drunk and get into a fender bender (which I would consider this situation after looking at the damage and the sheer size difference of the boats) and assess that there are no major injuries to either party, you are better off to leave and turn yourself in when sober for a multitude of reasons. The first being they cannot prove that you were drunk, and when you turn yourself in the next day you simply get evading/leaving the scene of an accident which is a slap on the wrist compared to a DUI in Connecticut although it sounds like in the state this accident occurred this is a much more serious crime.

Again, I'm just pointing out that sometimes the correct moral or ethical decision in a situation like this is not the one with the least legal consequences.
Old 07-14-2022, 12:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
"11 counts of failure to render aid"
That's 11 people who were injured on the paddle boat, due to an accident that was the NorTech driver's fault. And he failed to stop and render aid.
The entire side of NT CC collided with the paddle boat, and it was likely far enough up on it's side the the INNER port outboard made contact with the paddle wheel/boat and knocked that lower unit off.
That is NOT a "fender bender".

A smarter/****tier person would have stopped, called for assistance to report the incident, stated he felt like his boat was sinking, left his lights on, and drove to his destination to render aide to his passengers, and to not create a navigational hazard and reduced the number of victims out on open water. And then would have had his buddy film him downing a 1/2 a bottle of Jack Daniels while on the shore "because he was a nervous wreck after the accident."
Just one look at the news report lady from the larger vessel and I would have taken off too. A bunch of Karens with Fibromyalgia vs a successful dude. Not a battle I would choose.

The guy is an affluent business owner, they are going to go full monty on him regardless if he stopped or not. Besides, we dont know if he was drunk or if marijuana, cocaine, strippers or Hunter Biden were involved, at which point he saved himself a few charges and an even worse story in the news... He was able to go home, remove what he needed, collaborate on a story, retain council and go down on his own terms with council ready. One thing is for sure, he saved himself a 3AM drunk mugshot. Now he probably has a mugshot worthy of a politician.

Poll:
Does anybody really think he would have had less charges if he would have stayed?

My answer, No fkn way.

​​​​​​​
The following 5 users liked this post by Keith Atlanta:
IGetWet (07-14-2022), thirdchildhood (08-01-2022), TrippM (07-15-2022), TVMNick (07-23-2022), Twin O/B Sonic (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 12:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Just one look at the news report lady from the larger vessel and I would have taken off too. A bunch of Karens with Fibromyalgia vs a successful dude. Not a battle I would choose.

The guy is an affluent business owner, they are going to go full monty on him regardless if he stopped or not. Besides, we dont know if he was drunk or if marijuana, cocaine, strippers or Hunter Biden were involved, at which point he saved himself a few charges and an even worse story in the news... He was able to go home, remove what he needed, collaborate on a story, retain council and go down on his own terms with council ready. One thing is for sure, he saved himself a 3AM drunk mugshot. Now he probably has a mugshot worthy of a politician.

Poll:
Does anybody really think he would have had less charges if he would have stayed?

My answer, No fkn way.

​​​​​​​
I was thinking the same thing.........lol....she's going to be on the courthouse steps when the doors open, I'm sure she's the one pushing for the higher bail amount, she's going to be a PITA for this guy

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 07-14-2022 at 12:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Twin O/B Sonic (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
I was thinking the same thing.........lol....she's going to be on the courthouse steps when the doors open, I'm sure she's the one pushing for the higher bail amount, she's going to be a PITA for this guy
Yeah, made me chuckle, set it to $10,000.
That set him back I'm sure.
The following users liked this post:
hogie roll (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

The boat that was hit.

Old 07-14-2022, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Just a sad deal overall. Thankful no body was killed. Of course alcohol was the reason he ran but he knew he hit a boat with 43 people on it! Do you think he cared about what happened to them? If he would have stayed and owned it and cared for other human life he would not be going to jail. I know of Jason and always thought of him as a good guy but he made a really bad decision and sure alcohol did not help but he also did not turn himself back in after sobering up. I do not have respect for that. Just makes all of us other power boaters in the area look bad.
The following 2 users liked this post by rvtransport:
IGetWet (07-14-2022), Tropical Buzz (07-25-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 02:39 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

How the frick do you run into something like that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.