Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Telemarketers - a strategy to defeat them... >

Telemarketers - a strategy to defeat them...

Notices

Telemarketers - a strategy to defeat them...

Old 11-26-2002, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Telemarketers - a strategy to defeat them...

Found this bit of interesting information today... not sure if it will work, but I think we're going to give it a try and see what happens. There is a lot of other interesting information on that site as well, including information on your legal options, etc.

Worth a read, in any case...
Old 11-26-2002, 07:22 AM
Registered

P.S. Click the words "interesting information" for the link - I wish the forum highlighted links in a different color that is easier to see. Underlining them would be nice as well.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:14 AM
Brad Perry

I'll give it a try.....

Old 11-26-2002, 08:25 PM
Registered

very funny confusion: everybody hates telemarketers,they know this but keep on calling...

Old 11-26-2002, 08:29 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Indiana has a Telemarketer No Call list. I signed up 1st chance available. Haven't recieved a single call in over a yr!
Used to be a couple a day.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:50 PM
Gold Member

Sound like the principal behind it is sound.... I have the best solution yet....

I dont have a home phone!... yes it is true...There are some of us out there that do not have a home phone, All I use is a cell phone!... Hey why not, I get free long distance and pay a cell bill anyway so why not?... It has worked out GREAT for me... I just give out my "old" home number to ppl I dont want to call me...
Old 11-27-2002, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That sounds great if it works. I may have to try it...

But it's sure fun to fukk with 'em!

1. If they want to loan you money, tell them you just filed for bankruptcy and you could sure use some money.

2. If they start out with, "How are you today?" say, "I'm so glad you asked, because no one these days seems to care, and I have all these problems; my arthritis is acting up, my eyelashes are sore, my dog just died..."

3. If they say they're John Doe from XYZ Company, ask them to spell their name. Then ask them to spell the company name. Then ask them where it is located, how long it has been in business, how many people work there, how they got into this line of work, are they married?, kids?, etc. Continue asking them personal questions or questions about their company for as long as necessary.

4. This works great if you are male: Telemarketer: "Hi, my name is Judy and I'm with XYZ Company..." You: Wait for a second and with a real husky voice ask, "What are you wearing?"

5. Cry out in surprise,"Judy! Is that you? Oh my God! Judy, how have you been?" Hopefully, this will give Judy a few brief moments of terror as she tries to figure out where the hell she could know you from.

6. Say "No", over and over. Be sure to vary the sound of each one, and keep a rhythmic tempo, even as they are trying to speak. This is most fun if you can do it until they hang up.

7. If MCI calls trying to get you to sign up for the Family and Friends Plan, reply, in as SINISTER a voice as you can, "I don't have any friends... would you be my friend?"

8. If the company cleans rugs, respond: "Can you get out blood? Can you get out GOAT blood? How about HUMAN blood?

9. After the Telemarketer gives their spiel, ask him/her to marry you. When they get all flustered, tell them that you could not just give your credit card number to a complete stranger.

10. Tell the Telemarketer that you work for the same company, they often can't sell to employees.

11. Answer the phone. As soon as you realize it is a Telemarketer, set the receiver down, shout or scream, "Oh my God!!!" and then hang up.

12. Tell the Telemarketer you are busy at the moment and ask him/her if he/she will give you his/her HOME phone number so you can call him/her back. When the Telemarketer explains that telemarketers cannot give out their HOME numbers you say "I guess you don't want anyone bothering you at home, right?" The Telemarketer will agree and you say, "Me, either!" Hang up.

13.Ask them to repeat everything they say, several times.

14.Tell them it is dinner time, BUT ask if they would please hold. Put them on your speaker phone while you continue to eat at your leisure. Smack your food loudly and continue with your dinner conversation.

15. Tell the Telemarketer you are on "home incarceration" and ask if they could bring you some beer.

16. Ask them to fax the information to you, and make up a number.

17. Tell the Telemarketer, "Okay, I will listen to you. But I should probably tell you, I'm not wearing any clothes."

18. Insist that the caller is really your buddy Leon, playing a joke. "Come on Leon, cut it out! Seriously, Leon, how's your mom?"

19. Tell them you are hard of hearing and that they need to speak up... louder... louder...louder...

20. Tell them to talk VERY SLOWLY, because you want to write EVERY WORD down.
Old 11-27-2002, 01:36 PM
Registered

I have been using #13 the past couple of weeks and actually get the telemarketers to hang up on me...A couple of times I've let my dog bark at them until they hang up...
Old 11-27-2002, 04:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

I keep a small air horn near the phone... I talk real soft to the are listening intently then I BLAST them... Works great...sometimes startles my pets though...!!!