Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Tom Cruise to star in Donzi - the movie >

Tom Cruise to star in Donzi - the movie

Notices

Tom Cruise to star in Donzi - the movie

Old 11-26-2002, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 3,022 Likes on 989 Posts

Why the hell is the movie going to be called Donzi?? Corect me if I'm worng but Arronows greatest boat is Cigarette! Let me re-phrase that, the greatest boat IS Cigarette....But he is known for Cig mostly. Not to discredit Donzi...But to focus on only one boat co. that he was responsible for is not a good choice I think.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:23 PM
rick32

TOM CRUISE is just TOOO SMALL for this role !!!! ... He'll have to Stand on Phone Books to throttle & steer !!!! ...

Laughs,
Rick32

Old 11-26-2002, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With cruise as Don alot of people that aren't firmiliar with the real Don will not depict him properly orgive him the due respect he should have.
Old 11-27-2002, 01:23 PM
Registered

I agree that Cruise, physically, is a big mistake. Perhaps with some major camera finesse, they can pull it off. However, Don was an athletic 6' 4" x 225-ish lbs and although Tom certainly is a great actor, this is like casting Joe Pesci.

And, focusing only on Donzi only exasperates the lack of character and story focus. The Donzi era ran a scant '64 to '66, before he was off to start Magnum which ran from ’66 to '68 (and for a few months in ’76).

As the previous poster mentioned, without a question, the crown jewel of Don's achievements was the Cigarette era, running from '68 thru '82. That's where the sum of his previous experience, expertise, and perseverance was predominantly manifested with a mystique that’s still strong today. If you do a story on Michael Jordon, you don't base it on his North Carolina days. That’s absolutely retarded.

When you see ill advised production like this, it only goes to show why there's always been severe lack of quality in trying to bring the offshore/thunderboat row story to light. These guys just don't get it and are simply not capable to translate this to a compelling storyline without missing the point or taking considerable liberties.

Without a question, there's an enchanting story to be told, but unfortunately, it's always the wrong angle, perspective, and people involved. My concern is, failure is only going to make the subject matter appear less financially appealing to who might be the right people and we may never get anything over a B- flick.

To do it right, they need to do the full story, from before Formula thru USA, somewhat beyond Michael's sugar coated 'King of Thunderboat Row' that at least touches on the mystique and scandal beneath the surface. Although you really don't have to turn the focus overly towards the various allegations, but to omit that, not only is historically incorrect, but misses the entire intrigue factor. It has to be a balanced component of the story as it definitely was woven into the fabric to one degree or another. The guy was as much cunning, intense and mysterious as he was charismatic, charming and accommodating. That as a character study is the underlying complex texture that needs to be extracted to provide insight on what drove the guy.

A lot of the players back then are starting to get on, so it would be imperative to collaborate the memories of those who actually played a part in the story before it’s too late. Now being 15 years since his death, perhaps some might be willing to speak freer without the varieties of earlier potential influences or biases.

They then need to get a lead actor, who at least somewhat resembles the man. I hate to say it, but even Cage ain’t gonna pull it off. Although I haven’t thought this through, off the top of my head a bulked up Billy Zane has the essence of the look and at 6’ 2” and in his late 30’s, is physically pretty close. Beyond, he has a diverse history of playing complex characters with considerable charisma and ‘aire’.

Although this guy alone doesn’t have the box office strength, you could always toss in a couple of big names in supporting or cameo roles to round the cast.

I just hope that these guys will come to their senses and reevaluate the entire production before they make a film that accomplishes little. I’ve gone on enough...
Old 11-27-2002, 01:35 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah and Rip Taylor could play John Crouse.

T2x
Old 11-27-2002, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think "Donzi" came from the nickname his wife had for him...thus the title...

not necessarily the company..
Old 11-27-2002, 01:59 PM
Banned

Too bad the Duke still isn't around, size, presence, and star appeal.
Old 11-27-2002, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope they get someone else, other than Tom Cruise!
Old 11-27-2002, 02:05 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

They made Stallone look like a big guy

And, I agree that they chose the name Donzi because it was his nickname.
Old 11-27-2002, 02:24 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Yeah and Rip Taylor could play John Crouse.

T2x

Now that would be funny....or too real! Or Crouse could play Crouse!

Quick Reply: Tom Cruise to star in Donzi - the movie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.