Notices

not good in key west

Old 11-07-2022, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts
Default not good in key west

bicyclist run over and killed by a raceboat being towed...and they never stopped. Then again did they even realize they ran over somebody?

https://www.flkeysnews.com/news/loca...Eq7Ywl7Rk7m4Vc

A bicyclist was killed in a hit-and-run crash with a truck towing a professional racing speedboat Saturday night in the Florida Keys. The 47-year-old man was the second cyclist killed that day in the Keys. Another person, Albert Joseph Mello, Jr., 69, died after being hit by a car while riding a bike on North Roosevelt Boulevard in Key West. The Monroe County Medical Examiner identified the person who died Saturday night as Manrique Cordoba. He was struck by what the Florida Highway Patrol describes as “a large truck pulling a power boat on a trailer,” which was heading south down Third Street on Stock Island around 9 p.m.

The large speedboats are in the Keys this week for the annual Race World Offshore Key West Offshore World Championship races. Representatives with the racing league did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the crash. Lt. Kathleen McKinney, FHP subdistrict commander for the Florida Keys, said a traffic homicide investigator is trying to obtain video footage from the scene and speak to additional witnesses. The FHP said in a news release Monday that the truck continued traveling south on Third Street after hitting the person on the bike. Witnesses did not get a license plate number. Cordoba died after being taken to Lower Keys Medical Center shortly after 10 p.m., according to the FHP. Police have so far been unable to notify his family “due to not having any information on file and no known family members,” troopers said.
Old 11-08-2022, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

It won't be hard for the cops to figure out which team it was once they get the area camera footage. Driver likely never felt it in the cab, especially if they were fatigued after a long haul, it was 9 pm so it was dark and if the roads are narrow/rough the truck was bouncing around anyway.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jupiter Sunsation:
cheech (11-08-2022), Marginmn (11-08-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
It won't be hard for the cops to figure out which team it was once they get the area camera footage. Driver likely never felt it in the cab, especially if they were fatigued after a long haul, it was 9 pm so it was dark and if the roads are narrow/rough the truck was bouncing around anyway.
It is rather "potentially" incendiary to report it as a hit and run, when it could very well played out as you suggest, a hit and never realized. Hope so anyways.
The following 2 users liked this post by Marginmn:
cheech (11-08-2022), tommymonza (11-08-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
It is rather "potentially" incendiary to report it as a hit and run, when it could very well played out as you suggest, a hit and never realized. Hope so anyways.
Title is great also.
Police say a truck towing a pro racing speedboat killed a man in the Keys, then took off
"Then took off"
WTF, did he deliberately?
How does the reporter know?

Stupid ass media.
The following 7 users liked this post by cheech:
Cms51 (11-08-2022), DrFeelgood (11-08-2022), endeavor1 (11-08-2022), Marginmn (11-08-2022), PQ290Enticer (11-08-2022), RSCHAP1 (11-08-2022), sonicss42 (11-08-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by cheech
Title is great also.
"Then took off"

Stupid ass media.
^^^^agree 100%

You might also consider the victim (appeared to be homeless from the report) and the condition he was in. Was he riding a bike drunk and watched the truck pass and not realize their was a big boat behind it? There was a case recently that a drunk guy on a bike was riding on the sidewalk and his handle bar made contact with a pole and it steered the bike into traffic, truck missed the guy but the trailer didn't. It was caught on a traffic camera, truck driver didn't do anything wrong but just bad timing.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jupiter Sunsation:
RSCHAP1 (11-08-2022), tommymonza (11-08-2022), Tractionless (02-10-2023)
Old 11-08-2022, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by cheech
Title is great also.

"Then took off"

Stupid ass media.

As much as I hate the media the way I read that was the police said the truck took off.

Either way I get the feeling they will find out the driver didn't even know, hopefully there was some camera that caught it. I mean its not like you are running away and hiding when you are there the whole week for the races!. Geez.

Last edited by Wildman_grafix; 11-08-2022 at 12:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Brad Christy (11-08-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 496 Likes on 271 Posts

When I first got my drivers license, (a long time ago!) I was diving down a narrow gravel back road pulling my stock car on an open trailer, I came upon a father and two little kids on bicycles, I slowed down to a crawl in first gear, when the truck went by one of the kids, she was startled by the trailer and turned into it and wiped out. Thankfully I saw it happening and stopped before running her over. The father was understanding and apologized to me.
Bicycles can change direction in the blink of an eye!
The following users liked this post:
tommymonza (11-08-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

How do they know it was a race boat? Possible poker run boat? pleasure boat?
The following 2 users liked this post by TYPHOON:
hogie roll (11-09-2022), Wildman_grafix (11-08-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 11:41 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
As much as I hate the media the way I read that was the police said the truck took off.

Either way I get the feeling they will find out the driver didn't even know, hopefully there are some camera that caught it. I mean its not like you are running away and hiding when you are there the whole week for the races!. Geez.
The reporter was working from information supplied by law enforcement. That's how the story read and how it was written and properly sourced.

As for what kind of boat it was, yeah, understanding how the general public sees go-fast boats everyone from law enforcement to reporters to the average guy in the street should take a pause on that. The word, "Cigar Boat" comes to mind.

Submitted as a member of the stupid-ass media.
The following 4 users liked this post by Matt Trulio:
madflavors26 (11-08-2022), Padraig (11-08-2022), sonicss42 (11-08-2022), Wildman_grafix (11-08-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix

Either way I get the feeling they will find out the driver didn't even know, hopefully there are some camera that caught it. I mean its not like you are running away and hiding when you are there the whole week for the races!. Geez.
In black and white the article said "continued traveling south".
The FHP said in a news release Monday that the truck continued traveling south on Third Street after hitting the person on the bike.
I don't see that as taking off, especially if the driver was unware he hit anyone.
"Taking Off" in my eyes means he knew he hit someone then got the hell out of there. YMMV

At this point it seems the "then took off" is a purposely dramatic headline (which is a stupid ass media tactic) presuming the truck operator willfully fled the scene. Which is clear speculation on behalf of the reporter given he presented no facts proving the operator fled willfully or even knew he hit someone.

Way to vague to determine anything yet.
Did he hit the guy head on?
Did the bicyclist run into the trailer and get knocked?
Hell the bicyclist could of very well hit the trailer, rode into it.
As said already, driver was probably unaware, hopefully at least!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.