Outboard cats vs inboard cats in the rough >

Outboard cats vs inboard cats in the rough

Notices

Outboard cats vs inboard cats in the rough

Old 11-12-2022, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Outboard cats vs inboard cats in the rough

RWO race results with lap times from Friday's Key West races show the huge difference in speed between outboard cats and inboard cats in rough water conditions. For simplicity of comparison, I averaged the lap times (2-7) of each class, Super Cat, Super Stock and Stock 450 (I didn't include Class 1, as they're much bigger, higher HP inboards). The true comparison is between Super Cat (winning boat a 38' Skater) and Stock 450 (winning boat a 39' MTI), which makes them relatively equal size boats. The average lap time per lap for Super Cat was 3:22, and for Stock 450 it was 3:54. That's over 30 seconds a lap difference between the two similar sized cats in the rough, which means that the winning inboard cat puts the outboard cat a lap down before the checkers fly in a 7 lap race. What I found really interesting was that the winning Super Stock boat (32' DW) averaged 3:58 lap times, which is just 4 seconds per lap slower than the winning Stock 450 boat. It's pretty amazing that a 7' shorter cat with 2/3 the HP would only finish 28 seconds behind in a 7 lap race, which also puts it as the runner-up in Stock 450! No doubt that in a smooth water race, the outboard cat classes would be much closer in lap times to the Super Cat boats, as their top speeds on flat water are only 10 mph or so slower. So if the discussion ever comes up about how the new big outboard cats compare to similar size inboard cats in the rough, it's a pretty simple answer - they don't.

Last edited by Skater30; 11-13-2022 at 08:18 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Skater30:
87MirageIntruder (11-14-2022), KNOT-RIGHT (11-19-2022), OPS VZLA (11-13-2022), thisistank (11-14-2022)

Top Answer

11-14-2022, 12:10 PM
TeamSaris
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,074 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by CLA
Hard to happen when Skater30 is in the delta with the salvage 36 from Texas and was already involved in two bad skater accidents. PD has been a skater groupie for years and obviously is never going to buy a catamaran. TeamSaris should be TeamDreaming. These are all facts.

But hey I’m at the marina in key west and ready for these TALKERS.
I have 6 OPA World Championships and 3 OPA National Championships. We were one of the first Skater dealers. We've built and rigged and power many Skaters and Spectres for that matter that have set endurance records, kilo records, and won championships. I don't need to dream. I'm cool with facts and physics
See you at the races.
Old 11-12-2022, 06:56 PM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The cost of ownership is something to also be considered, and the fact that skater was no where to be found in either group.

Go MTI and DW.
Old 11-12-2022, 07:11 PM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Real world poker run it was mostly outboard DW’s and MTI’s at Woman key today as far as the cats. But the huge majority where CC’s.

I did see some inboard cats. But it’s the minority. The OL full enclosed canopys looked great.

Old 11-12-2022, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Skater 30,. Are you surmising the inherent setup and balance of the I/o cats equates to better performance in the rough?

Great compilation of comparative data...as I was reading your post, my mind jumped to the beating the o/b's take in the rough (mids/mounts and gearcases) Vs a #6 boat that can charge through - being KW, you have to finish at the top of the pack to claim the title so sparing the equipment has to come into play to a certain extent imho
...or was your comments geared to the design difference (narrow Sponson Modern o/b Vs I/o cat) in the rough?

Lots of variables at play...

Last edited by speicher lane; 11-12-2022 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-12-2022, 10:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by speicher lane
Skater 30,. Are you surmising the inherent setup and balance of the I/o cats equates to better performance in the rough?

Great compilation of comparative data...as I was reading your post, my mind jumped to the beating the o/b's take in the rough (mids/mounts and gearcases) Vs a #6 boat that can charge through - being KW, you have to finish at the top of the pack to claim the title so sparing the equipment has to come into play to a certain extent imho
...or was your comments geared to the design difference (narrow Sponson Modern o/b Vs I/o cat) in the rough?

Lots of variables at play...
No doubt that saving the equipment played a factor in all classes, as you can see from the lap charts that the lap times increased in the final laps for almost every competitor in each class. My comments were meant to point out that just because the outboard cats have grown to the same size as the inboard cats doesn't mean that they will perform the same in the rough. I feel that regardless of the modern outboard cats going to wider tunnels with narrower/flatter sponsons and shallower tunnels, they still wouldn't come close to the inboard cats in the rough. I never expected the ride of my 30 Skater to change so drastically in the rough after I converted it to outboards. We made zero bottom changes, yet there was no comparison with how capable the boat was in the rough as an inboard vs outboard, and the lap times at Key West proved to me what I experienced firsthand. The lap times also confirm my experience running poker runs in my inboard 36 Skater vs the outboard cats of similar size - they just can't carry the speed of the inboard boats in real-world water conditions. My 700 powered 36 isn't much faster than the new 450 cats in smooth water with ideal conditions, yet on poker runs I'm rolling by all of them while running in the 120s through the slop and turns. There's no doubt that the outboard cats are a more maintenance free, fuel efficient way to go high-performance boating, but they still won't get you from point A to point B as fast (or as comfortable) as an inboard cat.
The following 13 users liked this post by Skater30:
87MirageIntruder (11-14-2022), abones (11-13-2022), dykstra (11-15-2022), Gimme Fuel (11-14-2022), ICDEDPPL (11-13-2022), IGetWet (11-13-2022), kjm5125 (11-13-2022), OLDRAT (11-13-2022), precisiondetails (11-12-2022), Smarty (11-13-2022), speicher lane (11-13-2022), TeamSaris (11-14-2022), thisistank (11-14-2022)
Old 11-12-2022, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Dale- those results from Friday have three 388s at the top!
and a 40 in 4th
Old 11-12-2022, 11:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CLA
The cost of ownership is something to also be considered, and the fact that skater was no where to be found in either group.

Go MTI and DW.
what are you even talking about? No skater in either group, what groups?

cost of ownership, poker run? Lol

skater 30 was talking about performance and speed, not what would be best to take 8 people on a drinking cruise to KW.
The following 3 users liked this post by precisiondetails:
315duramax (11-14-2022), IGetWet (11-13-2022), Plowtownmissile (11-14-2022)
Old 11-12-2022, 11:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Skater30
No doubt that saving the equipment played a factor in all classes, as you can see from the lap charts that the lap times increased in the final laps for almost every competitor in each class. My comments were meant to point out that just because the outboard cats have grown to the same size as the inboard cats doesn't mean that they will perform the same in the rough. I feel that regardless of the modern outboard cats going to wider tunnels with narrower/flatter sponsons and shallower tunnels, they still wouldn't come close to the inboard cats in the rough. I never expected the ride of my 30 Skater to change so drastically in the rough after I converted it to outboards. We made zero bottom changes, yet there was no comparison with how capable the boat was in the rough as an inboard vs outboard, and the lap times at Key West proved to me what I experienced firsthand. The lap times also confirm my experience running poker runs in my inboard 36 Skater vs the outboard cats of similar size - they just can't carry the speed of the inboard boats in real-world water conditions. My 700 powered 36 isn't much faster than the new 450 cats in smooth water with ideal conditions, yet on poker runs I'm rolling by all of them while running in the 120s through the slop and turns. There's no doubt that the outboard cats are a more maintenance free, fuel efficient way to go high-performance boating, but they still won't get you from point A to point B as fast (or as comfortable) as an inboard cat.
I saw the video on your IG passing that 36 DW under Antioch bridge like he was standing still.
Old 11-13-2022, 08:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by precisiondetails
Dale- those results from Friday have three 388s at the top!
and a 40 in 4th
You're right Chad, I forgot that Chris and Billy switched over to a 388 from their MTI. This post isn't about what manufacturer is best/fastest, just the difference in speed and capability between the immensely popular new outboard large cats and the legacy inboard cats. The lap times from KW show the huge disparity between the two.
The following users liked this post:
precisiondetails (11-13-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Fun data and discussion! Thanks!

It seems that inboard cats kept getting more extreme, custom, faster, crazier, to the point that it's not "cool" to own one unless it's the fastest and best. If you build let's say a 700#6 cat its sorta boring. So might as well just own something less expensive, less maintenance, like an outboard. But that turned into now it's "ok" or "cool" to own the identical twin outboard cat as everyone else with only minor differences in colors!!??? But not cool to own a more reliable build in an inboard? Too funny!

They all break and require maintenance, especially when going larger and faster. When the outboard cats used to be priced reasonably, they made sense. Today they don't as much. Still badass boats, I would personally love to own one as my 3rd boat (2nd performance boat). But I'll never give up my inboard custom one off work of art, the look, sound, feel, ride, and handling.

Would be nice to see some custom inboard builds again. Custom power, unique top decks, bussles, measurements. There are plenty of ways to build a new inboard boat pretty reliable especially for the kind of money the twin outboards cost now.
The following 11 users liked this post by offshorexcursion:
1983ScarabIII (11-13-2022), 315duramax (11-14-2022), abones (11-13-2022), check300 (11-13-2022), dykstra (11-15-2022), Gimme Fuel (11-14-2022), IGetWet (11-14-2022), KNOT-RIGHT (11-19-2022), precisiondetails (11-13-2022), Skater30 (11-13-2022), thisistank (11-14-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.