Notices

Info On Jax Area Please!

Old 11-30-2022, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts
Default Info On Jax Area Please!

I'm contemplating a move to the Jax area in a couple years. I like that there is freshwater boating on the St. Johns River and also the ocean of course. Thinking about south of the city and I'm not rich so also thinking $400,000 ish. Inland a ways and in a rural area would be ideal as long as we are not too far from water! We will need a pole barn and half acre minimum land. I know nothing of the Jax area and of course want to avoid bad areas. Any suggestions of where to look or real estate agent recommendations would be appreciated. I love the Great Lakes but getting so tired of the north winters. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 11-30-2022 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

*St. Johns
The following users liked this post:
RedBoatFl (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately $400K would have gotten you a killer home two years ago but now it gets you almost nothing here, but two more years could change things who knows. Everyone wants to move here, including a lot of the people from South FL who think its too populated down there. The million dollar question is do you have school age kids? You want to make sure you stay out of Duval if you do, Clay and St Johns both have good schools. If you can swings something on Fleming Island that is a great boating area as Doctors lake and the river (essentially the same thing) are right there, but you are far from Ocean/Intracoastal. Anything closer to the Ocean which is st johns or st Augustine is going to get pricier. Stay away from West side of Jax north of the Navy Base.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood
*St. Johns
oops, fixed it!
Old 11-30-2022, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

Buddy of ours lives on Julington Creek off the St John's South of Jax. Its spectacular boating. Gotta have your head on a swivel for crab pots and getting used to the color of the ice tea water. They couldn't be happier living there & they have 3 kids in mid/high school
The following users liked this post:
thirdchildhood (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 12:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gotime34
Unfortunately $400K would have gotten you a killer home two years ago but now it gets you almost nothing here, but two more years could change things who knows. Everyone wants to move here, including a lot of the people from South FL who think its too populated down there. The million dollar question is do you have school age kids? You want to make sure you stay out of Duval if you do, Clay and St Johns both have good schools. If you can swings something on Fleming Island that is a great boating area as Doctors lake and the river (essentially the same thing) are right there, but you are far from Ocean/Intracoastal. Anything closer to the Ocean which is st johns or st Augustine is going to get pricier. Stay away from West side of Jax north of the Navy Base.
Thanks, areas to avoid is what i really need to know. No children. I'm retired. We don't need to be that close to the ocean but just want to be near a large metro area so there will be concerts and sporting events and malls, etc. You know, stuff to do besides boating. Now I am in metro Detroit (north) but 35 miles to downtown and Canada and Lake St. Clair.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:26 PM
Registered

Thanks, I was told to look south of Jax but we wouldn't mind being inland a little bit too if it's more affordable.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:27 PM
Registered

(duplicate)
Old 11-30-2022, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 1,323 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Thanks, I was told to look south of Jax but we wouldn't mind being inland a little bit too if it's more affordable.
Father from cost the cheaper it gets, particular with home insurance. Its a mess right now. But be aware of elevation, inland can flood to, the last two storms really hit a lot of areas with flooding inland.

Last edited by Wildman_grafix; 12-01-2022 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I live in Fleming Island, few minutes away from public ramp. Pretty ok ramp. Good size properties, I have the boat in the back yard under a shed. Fleming is probably the best spot to be to avoid the riff raffs. The only problem, low areas, can flood.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.