First Dyno Complete Take 3

Notices

First Dyno Complete Take 3

Old 01-19-2023, 10:45 PM
Banned

Received 152 Likes on 88 Posts
Default First Dyno Complete Take 3

Hey everyone,
I will try and end this the best I can. I am making NO changes to my engines. It's not a "finger" at anybody. That was never my intent....ever. I know there is a wealth of knowledge here and I have learned a lot and even made some purchases based on my time here. (Yes, I realize the irony in acknowledging the "wealth of info" and then not taking it.) I've given advice (not on this site) to people before and never did it occur to me to be "offended" if they didn't follow it. We all have our reasons for the direction we take. You shouldn't have taken it personally and definitely shouldn't have gotten so pissed off. In the end you guys are not responsible for what happens or the expense should something happen. I'm as surprised as some of you are at how "personal" this got. I did have the 2 hour talk with my builder and I'm going with his word that I'm good. I know this will go as "fish food" too but I also called AFR and spoke in depth with a guy and he also said I was good. I just wanted to show my dyno results and talk about them. I also didn't know on this site 1,000 hp is the new 500. I thought I was doing pretty good. Live and learn. It was pointed out that 500hp is no big deal and I believe that that may be the reason my engines will be fine. Maybe at 750 and up things get way more important? I'm not a builder so I don't know for sure however I'm pretty sure that this is or could be true. Some of you guys are probably very, very good at building so much so that maybe an average guy can't even afford to go to you. I think that's great however, everyone on this site, to me, is a stranger. I didn't and still don't think it's in my best interest to blindly follow the opinions given here on every subject. I mentioned before that I'm sure regardless of your business, you don't welcome a customer that points out that you did something wrong based what they saw on the internet.
Now, by a show of "LIKES" to the first response to this post, who is now more pissed (if that's even possible) than before? Again, I just wanted this to go away.
I was hoping you guys would just wish me luck and be done with it. Some of you did exactly that, and I thank you. I thought that was the best way to go because at least that way, you didn't know if I followed some, all, or none of the advice. We should have been good but damn, you guys are really swinging hard for the fence for really no reason. I didn't do anything to you. I thought it was free advice. I didn't realize once given I was obligated to follow it. Again, live and learn.
Someone asked why I didn't buy something ready to go and that's a great question. When I was looking, NOTHING was in stock and no idea when they were getting anything. I take that back, one place was selling 572's but I didn't want to tear my boat in half so I passed. I did not check the referenced engine number in the post but where I looked there was nothing.
I did befriend a member or 2 from this site. I will not mention their names however I will stay in contact via email. Lucky for me seeing how I have been "blackballed" on this site. I still need someone or somewhere to go to ask my questions.
Not much more to say. I am disappointed that this happened.
This just added to my ****show and some of you will get yet another laugh from this. I emailed Holley a week ago or so because I wanted to know where to connect on the QFT M-800 the clear hose from my stock belt driven fuel pump. I think its there in case the pump diaphragm fails? This was there reply: Thank you for contacting Holley Performance. This Carburetor is not equipped with the Vent for the Fuel Pump. While this is a Carburetor made for Marine applications, it is not Coast Guard Approved.
Not approved. I'm sure it was in the fine print and I just missed it. Just when I thought I was good to go. I do not require any responses for this even though it's posted as a question. Maybe this is good info for someone else.
Watch out for new members. I'm going to come back for a fresh start with a new name. Same dumb ass questions so you may figure me out. I will NOT be posting any graphs though.

If you are MORE PISSED remember, don't like this post, that might make me the most popular guy on the site and we all know that's not true. Like the first response.
Really this is just to prove that now that you know for sure that I didn't take any advice about the engines, is NOT BETTER than what you thought you knew.
My first response was never intended to piss anybody off. I had hopes that it would just fade away.
You guys have a great site but the learning curve is a *****!
Bummer for the PQ family as I think there's only 3 or 4 left now and when I come back I think it will be as the only Bayliner member on this site.
Thanks for all the comments on my other posts, even you Dan.
This has the feel of "Deja vu" You too BAJAMAN or F-2?

The following 2 users liked this post by PQ290Enticer:
boatnt (01-19-2023), resurrected (01-20-2023)

Top Answer

01-21-2023, 11:59 AM
seafordguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

Honestly man, if you've discussed with your builder, digested what you've learned here and are comfortable with the path forward than I wish you well.

I can promise you, no one on this website is hoping you have issues. Everyone on here has been towed home, destroyed a drive, cracked a rocker, spun a bearing, lost oil pressure, had a head rot out, leaking header issues, etc.... It blows, we've all experienced it, and no one wants to see it happen to you just so they can say "I told you so".

Owning one of these boats comes with a complimentary PhD from the school of hard knocks. I'm hoping you don't earn yours this summer!!!
Old 01-19-2023, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 213 Likes on 110 Posts

It's all good man, we are all here because we all have one thing in common , we are addicted to boating , good luck with your build, first time out on your boat will make all this worth while
The following users liked this post:
Knot 4 Me (01-20-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 11:47 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,088 Likes on 1,390 Posts

You can get flame arrestors with the fitting for the mech fuel pump vent/overflow.

You can drill hole and thread in a nipple with pipe thread to some arrestors. Show a pic of the arrestor you have.

Last edited by SB; 01-19-2023 at 11:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SB:
PQ290Enticer (01-20-2023), RSCHAP1 (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 12:31 AM
Registered

Received 271 Likes on 161 Posts

Fine, I'll say it...... POST WHORE
Old 01-20-2023, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Good luck. Make sure you have sea tow or similar.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

I can see a pool starting.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wildman_grafix:
Hoodoo 2.0 (01-20-2023), Unlimited jd (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 08:10 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,053 Likes on 277 Posts

I truly wish you the best on your endeavors. Don't be afraid to reach out with questions to our shop. We're pros, it's what we're here for.
I think you'll find nobody is really "pissed" at you. And nobody thinks your 500hps are lame. BUT. You asked. We all answered. Some of us are pros, some of us arent. I get that. But we still answered. Your engine builder (and you) are now telling all of us we're wrong.
Not the best way to keep the advice flowing.
In your engine builder's defense- if one of my customers came to me after dyno day saying "yeah but the internet said this....", the look on my face would be the whole answer. BUT. I own my own dyno. Our engines win championships. And the only engine Id build with those pistons is a 350cid for a 32 ford.
Carry on and good luck.
The following 11 users liked this post by TeamSaris:
cheech (01-20-2023), Diamond Dave (01-23-2023), dykstra (01-23-2023), Gary C (01-21-2023), Gimme Fuel (01-23-2023), jbraun2828 (01-20-2023), KNOT-RIGHT (01-21-2023), offshoredrillin (01-20-2023), RSCHAP1 (01-20-2023), Ryan00TJ (01-20-2023), Unlimited jd (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
And the only engine Id build with those pistons is a 350cid for a 32 ford..
That right there just gave me a chuckle
Old 01-20-2023, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 4,234 Likes on 1,215 Posts
Your money, your time, your summer , you`re free to do what you think is best and you should.
I mean the guy with the first name bob and last name that start with an M that I can`t mention sold probably thousands of Stock AFR heads to unsuspecting customers telling them they were Marine ready to his specs (lol) and they were just stock ARF heads.
Pretty sure not all of his builds blew up so you got that going for you I guess.
Don`t ever wish bad luck on a another boater, so I`m sincere when I say I hope you have a good summer.. maybe take a really long time to break em in so they loosen up bit ?

The following 4 users liked this post by ICDEDPPL:
cigrocket (01-20-2023), Griff (01-20-2023), Knot 4 Me (01-20-2023), Unlimited jd (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 11:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 493 Likes on 269 Posts

I'm sorry, but I hate it when I see a 350 in a Ford. Unfortunately it happens a lot.
The following 4 users liked this post by resurrected:
Gary C (01-21-2023), jbraun2828 (01-20-2023), liberator221 (01-20-2023), Wildman_grafix (01-20-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.