CG c/w conversion & X theory smaal boat >

CG c/w conversion & X theory smaal boat

Notices

CG c/w conversion & X theory smaal boat

Old 03-13-2023, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts
Default CG c/w conversion & X theory smaal boat

Another done to death topic but i don't remember seeing it on a small boat like a 20 footer for example, say a 20 cig to put everyones brain in the same arena and maybe spark up some info from past projects

To continue, I don't see a problem, i'm not inferring a problem or leaving out the fact that an adult moving from the rear bench to the front or side or fuel burn changes cg specially on a small boat, this is just some of our favorite topics revisited.

Let's say your converting from trs to bravo, keeping the big block and adding an ITS transom assy.

Personally i see a rear shift in cg on this one regardless the weight shedding.

Minus what 80 pounds worth of c72, ok but that puts 800 pounds of engine back 11ish inches onto the transom.

weight dif between trs and bravo is 10-15 pounds (based off a quick oso looksee trs 155- 160 bravo 145)

Throw that 10 15 pounds out the window after you move it back 7 inches on the ITS

On to the crank CL/X/propshaft height dimension

trs is 23 3/4 (i don't want to look up the exact 1/16 of an inch)

bravo is 21 3/4 (same 1/16 deal)

trs were deep way back in the 70's baby, like 7, 7 1/2 inches specially on a small low freeboard boat,

the 2 inch difference could be ideal, 5 or more inches on the bravo and lest we forget the moving back that 11 inches whole exhaust riser / hatch clearance thing.
cuz my bet would be no theoretical x dimension and it's potential speed with 9 blade prop is worth a 200 mph fountain quanset hut style engine hatch on a conversion such as the example given. (i had to go there !)

right where mercury says to put it c/w transom angle, plus no more than 1 and a 1/2 inches above mother mercury's X because of the ITS, splitting it 3/4 up for ups sake and 3/4 up for setback.

What am i missing ? Throw it and anything else out there

Last edited by outonsafari; 03-13-2023 at 05:20 PM. Reason: I spelled small wrong in the title
The following users liked this post:
Twin O/B Sonic (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts

I am still struggling to dial my 25’ Checkmate Convincor that I converted from single big block IO to twin OB.

According to my math I was within I think a 100lbs (heavier) but with center of that mass moved aft approx 4’.

TOTALLY different boat.

Maybe since your thread is IO biased, you will get more help than I did 😎
J-Bonz (03-15-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 01:20 PM
Registered

4 foots a lot on a 25. I know you build your own stuff powerheads and all and i know you know your sh-i-t !
I don't skim your threads and just look at the pics, i read what you post. Most of the build threads are worth paying attention to. not all of them are worth reading, take mine for example.

Not only 4 foot back but no longer down near the the bottom, do you notice or think that had any affect?

cg on a conversion like the example probably will be negligable in terms of driving.
kinda hoping someone would chime in on the engine room clearances, how that related to drive hght etc etc.
what they learned, how they'd do it different and why. That kinda thing.

I was talking to someone and it sparked up the fond memories of being down on my knees in the bottom of a gutted boat with a grinder all day in a tyvek suit mask and direct sunlight. putting the boat in the water is ok but putting it together is all the fun.

Did you bond your swim platform on ? I remember a pretty precise build for strength and layup in your garage but not if it's bolted or bonded. Oh, the transom, you can't try it without a sawzall, nevermind.

Last edited by outonsafari; 03-15-2023 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Swim platform
The following 2 users liked this post by outonsafari:
J-Bonz (03-15-2023), Twin O/B Sonic (03-15-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 04:58 PM
Registered

I asked because I don’t know.

I thought I did, but I don’t.

In my example, I thought the Checkmate would be the same/similar as my two 24’ Sonic twin OBs.

The Convincor is 1’ longer and 6” narrower.
So similar but not the same.

W/the Sonic template applied…, not even close.
which shocked me.

That’s why I started my thread on that subject.

I know there’s guys on here that know that answer (C of G) but I don’t.

Im fine w/changing course mid stream but at this point it’s all me.

A 4’ shift, aft, in motor weight is unworldly.
I get that.

But I also added 50% to fuel capacity which moves the front of fuel tank 3’ forward and also have a water bladder in anchor locker, at 115 lbs.

I dont know the math for this equation.

Originally Posted by outonsafari
4 foots a lot on a 25. I know you build your own stuff powerheads and all and i know you know your sh-i-t !
I don't skim your threads and just look at the pics, i read what you post. Most of the build threads are worth paying attention to. not all of them are worth reading, take mine for example.

Not only 4 foot back but no longer down near the the bottom, do you notice or think that had any affect?

cg on a conversion like the example probably will be negligable in terms of driving.
kinda hoping someone would chime in on the engine room clearances, how that related to drive hght etc etc.
what they learned, how they'd do it different and why. That kinda thing.

I was talking to someone and it sparked up the fond memories of being down on my knees in the bottom of a gutted boat with a grinder all day in a tyvek suit mask and direct sunlight. putting the boat in the water is ok but putting it together is all the fun.

Did you bond your swim platform on ? I remember a pretty precise build for strength and layup in your garage but not if it's bolted or bonded. Oh, the transom, you can't try it without a sawzall, nevermind.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 171 Likes on 70 Posts

The smaller and lighter,narrower a boat is...the more it's affecting the cg.. My old 30 ft v didn't run much different with 2 four stroke outboards on a stainless marine bracket (24" setback with jackplates) vs 2 big inboards with Arnesons or the TRS outdrives
The following 2 users liked this post by Cary 29:
scippy (03-19-2023), Twin O/B Sonic (03-16-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 171 Likes on 70 Posts

Gary your boat being a narrower single I/O original,you may want to try a ballast setup.
Twin O/B Sonic (03-16-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 05:39 AM
Registered

At some point I plan to build a cradle and find the balance point of the boat.

Ive had two or three guys w/basically the same set up call me for help in the past.
They assumed, as did I, w/my successes w/my 24 Sonics that I knew twin OB Vee set up.

Id tell them everything I did on them, they’d say they did the same but the boat still hopped/chine walked.

I wrote them off as not knowing how to drive/fly a fast OB powered Vee.

Now, I want their numbers so I can call and apologize!

Cary, read above, re ballast in the anchor locker.

I have 20” mid sections on their way so that will drop 900 lbs of motors 5” so should help the rolling/chine walk.

Going to extend my tabs 4” as well.
Thinking that extreme drag/angle of short tabs, full down, are digging a trough that the port/LH motor did not like???

Hoping to test prop rotation change before changing mids.

BTW, dropped a motor cowling on top of the rear quarter of my cherry MGB.
It now has a 4” dent!!!!
Arghhhhh!

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 03-16-2023 at 05:45 AM.
Old 03-16-2023, 09:13 AM
Registered

Thats how much was cut off the ring to stop chinewalk. The 25 liked nuetral trim and needed the ring cut down , the 27 wanted lots of trim and barely had chinewalk, it would never come on plane after that much ring cut off. Calm water like pictured, 25 top was 73.4, calm water like pictured, 27 was over 74

You can see where the water leaves the hull and the k planes are clearly visible.

I would attribute the majority of difference to the hull bottom. Could defineately have it backwards and not discounting the 6 inch narrower beam but;

the sonic has a rounded keel

Where the checkmate sharp keel (with i think small 1/2 or less inch vertical edge that run from the transom forward 8-10 feet and blend into the hull, making it like a pad that's what 12 or so inches wide at the transom)

more of a teeter totter balance point than a wider soft edge/transition of the sonics round keel.

once upon a time the drain plug cam got knocked down and recorderd the water between the hull and leading edge of the drive.
Keep in mind this is a gopro knock off mounted to the drain plug and it clearly shown the difference of the water leaving the hull
at speed, green water was maybe 6 inches wide and outboard of that it was all aerated, the side video showed dry k planes and dry hull outboard the outer strakes, water was just touching the end of the inner strakes, the boat would chinewalk until the diffuser got cut down by almost a 1/2 inch. This is on a 26 x 8'2" boat.
got sideview pics of a dry hull i'll dig up.

Last edited by outonsafari; 03-16-2023 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-16-2023, 09:49 AM
Registered

my last post got screwed up after i edited in the pics, point was the round v sharp keel and the pics was about how high up and dry the hull is.
i don't think you have a ring issue it was just an example. Between the 25 and 27 both m plus props was significant and imo shows how touchy the variables are in trying to dial in a set up.
speed pic is just a neener neener !
Old 03-16-2023, 06:27 PM
Registered

Outonsafari, THANK YOU so much for your input and sorry for hijacking your thread!

Not in any order but, here’s some replies/comments.

Yes my Sonics had round keels so driving them at speed was also a challenge as you’re trying to keep it on a pad that, it don’t have!

I tried a set of Bravo Ones on it and it hopped.
I cut the lip off the hubs same as you and it cured it.
It still would not carry the bow w/them.

I have a GoPro and that is on my list for fact finding.

From before the GoPro era, here is my first 24 Sonic At WFO.
I blew this shot up then drew lines for keel, chine, transom and water line to approximate wetted surface.

Very little!
Look close and you can see the tabs.

The Convincor has a, kinda pad.
15” wide but w/a vee.

In my world a “pad” is flat so….

In theory, (a guy that loves flying fast OB vee’s) this should be easier to drive than the Sonic.
NOT!

I owned rigged, set up, a 100+ mph 17’ Hydrostream, Allison, STV, raced/built kneel down hydros etc, thought I knew how to do this.

Cool thing is, after getting the Convincor to be a really good, weekend cuddy cabin, run 70+, I was out of energy and ready to move on.

Then…I took the winter off to work on my MG and now I’m wired for sound!

Totally rejuvenated.

I think w/stock 225’s I should see 80.

My real love is porting/tuning the motors.
I said at the start that I thought 90 was a legit target but we’ll see.

May not have that much energy left for the project.

At this point extra HPs do nothing.

I will tame the beast!

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 03-16-2023 at 06:56 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.