Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
1st time out with new engines >

1st time out with new engines

Notices

1st time out with new engines

Old 05-27-2023, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

You can have the 28's labbed and most likely get what you need.

What was your AFR readings?? What was your oil temp readings?

Congratulations

P.S. Be careful stressing the Bravo Drives with too much load (fast throttle) getting on plane!
Old 05-27-2023, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 152 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
You can have the 28's labbed and most likely get what you need.

What was your AFR readings?? What was your oil temp readings?

Congratulations
Lol!!! I was too busy hanging on!!! Actually forgot to look at AFR and im experiencing technical difficulties with the oil temp gauges. Flat out not working. I will mention that the water temp drops when at WOT. Is that normal? Thank you. So far so good
Old 05-27-2023, 12:18 PM
Registered

I would be WAY more concerned about the AFR'S than oil temp on short run. Lean conditions can ruin a motor in minutes.
Mine runs 11.5 to 12.6 at all rpms. I'm happy with that. No gas slick behind boat at idle, no soot on transom, no fuel smell at dock or under way.
Old 05-27-2023, 01:52 PM
Registered

I would be WAY more concerned about the AFR'S than oil temp on short run. Lean conditions can ruin a motor in minutes.
Mine runs 11.5 to 12.6 at all rpms. I'm happy with that. No gas slick behind boat at idle, no soot on transom, no fuel smell at dock or under way.
I will shoot for those numbers with mine. My idke is ridiculously rich. 10.9 and soot. Starboard stalls if left on idle for too long. I think my idle is 900 rpm not in gear.
Old 05-27-2023, 05:26 PM
Registered

I'd be worried under load. You said it struggled with the 28's AFR is CRITICAL under heavy load.
If you don't have time to look at these gauges where in the Sam Hell are you going to find time to rebuild your engines?!!!
Asking for a friend
Old 05-27-2023, 07:56 PM
Registered

I'd be worried under load. You said it struggled with the 28's AFR is CRITICAL under heavy load.
If you don't have time to look at these gauges where in the Sam Hell are you going to find time to rebuild your engines?!!!
Asking for a friend
I said it got on plane easily with the 28's. Ive seen the AFR at cruising and it was in the 12's. Just dont know at wot
Old 05-27-2023, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Try the 26's and the Spinelli's and see where you are at. If need be I have the 28 Mercury labbed props if you want to try them also.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rookie:
F-2 Speedy (05-30-2023), PQ290Enticer (05-27-2023)
Old 05-30-2023, 02:57 PM
Registered

As it turns out, I can't read the AFR gauge in the sun at WOT. To read it I have to do all the things necessary to reach top speed at WOT plus watch traffic fumble for my readers, REACH FORWARD TO CUP THE GAUGE SO I CAN BLOCK THE SUN, THEN READ IT. You cover a lot of ground @ WOT and I would be spending way too much time not watching where I was going. I thought I would be able to glance and read it. All of my other gauges are analog and easy to read. I may be able to do it if I get a friend on board to watch it but both my friends so far have been really concentrating on hanging on. A lot of you go way faster but this is the fastest my friends and I have gone. So with the AFR gauge in mind, what did you guys buy and can you read it in the sun? I have the Innovative brand. Do I have to come up with a shroud?? Thanks for your help.
Old 05-30-2023, 02:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
PQ290,

My guess is you’ll be 77MPH @ 5100 with the 26s.

How was the ride?

Thanks. Brad.
You are going to be very close with the rpm. I was able to run WOT for a short distance so I didn't get a chance to let it air out but it did hit 5100 but only 73 mph. I believe it was still climbing but too much traffic on the river Monday.
Old 05-30-2023, 11:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 333 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by PQ290Enticer
As it turns out, I can't read the AFR gauge in the sun at WOT. To read it I have to do all the things necessary to reach top speed at WOT plus watch traffic fumble for my readers, REACH FORWARD TO CUP THE GAUGE SO I CAN BLOCK THE SUN, THEN READ IT. You cover a lot of ground @ WOT and I would be spending way too much time not watching where I was going. I thought I would be able to glance and read it. All of my other gauges are analog and easy to read. I may be able to do it if I get a friend on board to watch it but both my friends so far have been really concentrating on hanging on. A lot of you go way faster but this is the fastest my friends and I have gone. So with the AFR gauge in mind, what did you guys buy and can you read it in the sun? I have the Innovative brand. Do I have to come up with a shroud?? Thanks for your help.
An AFR gauge is useless to me. You can’t do squat with it. There are some basic data loggers that stand alone from AIM or others that you could easily hook up. Go make some runs and then come back and download what you saw. Then you can actually do something about it, or come on here and tell people your tuneup is fine and to quit speculating.
The following 2 users liked this post by DRAG:
SB (05-31-2023), Wildman_grafix (05-31-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.