Michigan Boaters/Holloway Reservoir >

Michigan Boaters/Holloway Reservoir

Notices

Michigan Boaters/Holloway Reservoir

Old 06-18-2023, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts
Default Michigan Boaters/Holloway Reservoir

Is Holloway Reservoir still a thing with performance boats? I was told about it years ago but never went. Cass Lake has regular police now so we don't go there anymore and we love Lake St. Clair and the Great Lakes but would like to check out Holloway.
Old 06-19-2023, 03:00 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have lived on Holloway for years there's a few performance boats out there now and then nothing like back in heyday. Coming from Lake St. Clair and the Great Lakes you will be disappointed. But it's a nice lake to enjoy the afternoon on, I have ran everything from small hydroplanes to my 32 cat never had any problems police.
The following 4 users liked this post by Greatlaker:
1983ScarabIII (06-19-2023), OLDRAT (06-22-2023), Slippery (06-19-2023), Twin O/B Sonic (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 11:36 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

"Holloway Reservoir"

Don't mean to hijack, but Holy Cow does that name bring back some great memories.

I remember several trips of "Take M57 east until it stops and then just follow the "boat races" signs" to go to the drag races there...seems like we walked forever down a 2-track with a wagon hauling as much beer as we could fit in the wagon and a couple lawn chairs balanced on top....a buddy of mine met his wife there watching the races in 86? 87? .....after one of the local cops opened his beer for him with a utility tool because the pull tab came off without opening the beer.

Somewhere we have a photo album with all those old pics, but I haven't thought about them in years....

1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Last edited by Slippery; 06-19-2023 at 11:37 AM. Reason: punctuation
The following users liked this post:
Interceptor (06-27-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

It sounds like I'm late to the party. Guess we'll head to Lake St. Clair soon!
Old 06-21-2023, 03:11 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The following 3 users liked this post by Greatlaker:
cheech (06-21-2023), Slippery (06-26-2023), thirdchildhood (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Used to go to Holloway Reservoir quite a bit,
It would be awesome to see the races start back up again. I'd definitely go and watch
The following users liked this post:
thirdchildhood (06-21-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 12:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by b.lee
Used to go to Holloway Reservoir quite a bit,
It would be awesome to see the races start back up again. I'd definitely go and watch
+1

Unfortunately, I think we've seen the last of boat drags in MI. Too many challenges, both political and logistical.

It's a shame; the races @ Holloway went away but in the late 90's and possibly early 2000's - memory is fuzzy, sorry - we had them in Grand Rapids and in Guelph, Ontario. Grand Rapids went away and they had them again at Holloway for a time.

There used to be a bit of an "outlaw" (rolling start with pairing) race at Ottawa, IL on the Fox River; Im unaware if they're still having it but the last I knew that was still going on. I think John Haas (RIP) had both MPH and ET records there, AND he had the distance record when his chute failed to open and he put his hydro on the beach a ways.

Momence and Kankakee also had them for a few years. And Dayton, OH...I think the reason the racers finally quit going to Dayton was 1) the park rangers were azzhats and 2) it always seemed to storm there...one year lightning took out the clock and timing system.

1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.