Notices

Bravo XR -

Old 07-05-2023, 11:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 777 Likes on 354 Posts
Default Bravo XR -

Trying to educate myself - I think I have the old style XR's. They are not the swept back style.

Who sells used ones that's reputable?

I lost forward gear in mine (when I drop it in gear there is a clunk and it kills the motor, then gets stuck in fwd and wont come out). Drained the oil and it looks like I have very small metal shavings throughout.

Will rebuild this one and keep as a spare, but would like to salvage my summer.

Anyone got one lying around they want to sell reasonably?

How hard are these to rebuild yourself?
Old 07-05-2023, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 825 Likes on 378 Posts

There not hard at all to rebuild IF you are used to rebuilding Manual transmissions, rear axles etc and willing to buy whatever specialty tools you need, assuming you already own a arbor press, hydraulic press, bearing press plates, pullers, dial indicator, zero to 30 or 50" lbs tq wrench. All comes down to setting depth, preload, backlash, rolling tq.so real similar to doing a differential, Smitty
Old 07-05-2023, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 825 Likes on 378 Posts

As far as "reputable" used ones, the majority of used XRs for sale were behind moderate to big hp. Ive had more then one person tell me they run a xr until its starts to shed metal, then buy a new one before it fails completely so I think youd be better buying one thats been professionally gone thru vs rolling the dice, Smitty
The following 4 users liked this post by articfriends:
87MirageIntruder (07-06-2023), Griff (07-07-2023), Revd Up (07-06-2023), tgorbett (07-05-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 07:58 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,075 Likes on 284 Posts

We sold two "used" XRs this spring. The gears, cases input and prop shaft were used but in great shape. Bearings, seals, races and upper shaft were brand new. Thats the only way id ever sell a used drive.
The following users liked this post:
Griff (07-07-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 811 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
We sold two "used" XRs this spring. The gears, cases input and prop shaft were used but in great shape. Bearings, seals, races and upper shaft were brand new. Thats the only way id ever sell a used drive.
When we bought our first boat, which had a Bravo on it, my dad told me that nobody ever sells a used Bravo unless they can't use it, and "rebuilt" is not "used". Literally, the only time I've seen a "used" Bravo sold that didn't result in a blown up outdrive was in the case of an immediate re-power of a newly acquired boat that included upgrading the outdrive. Knowing that nobody installs an XR without intentions of leaning into it pretty hard, I don't know as I could bring myself to even contemplate buying a used XR that hadn't been completely rebuilt.

Thanks. Brad.

Last edited by Brad Christy; 07-06-2023 at 12:27 PM.
articfriends (07-11-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 1,332 Likes on 743 Posts

I have my doubts about rebuilding a "blown up" Bravo. Seems to me the cases get tweaked and they just do not stay together. Maybe I am wrong.
Catch them before and it is different but XR gears still are chit.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wildman_grafix:
articfriends (07-11-2023), Revd Up (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 12:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I have my doubts about rebuilding a "blown up" Bravo. Seems to me the cases get tweaked and they just do not stay together. Maybe I am wrong.
Catch them before and it is different but XR gears still are chit.
Wildman,

I would agree, for the most part. If gears have sheared teeth and attempted to climb over themselves, there is no way you can just replace the gears, bearings and seals, and expect the drive to last. Case material HAS been displaced. Those bearing and seal pockets are going to need closely inspected, at the very least, and likely welded in and re-machined, and the whole case would have to be dye penetrant tested before reassembly. There is undoubtedly a very high likelihood the case would be too far gone to save.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 07-06-2023, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 1,332 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Wildman,

I would agree, for the most part. If gears have sheared teeth and attempted to climb over themselves, there is no way you can just replace the gears, bearings and seals, and expect the drive to last. Case material HAS been displaced. Those bearing and seal pockets are going to need closely inspected, at the very least, and likely welded in and re-machined, and the whole case would have to be dye penetrant tested before reassembly. There is undoubtedly a very high likelihood the case would be too far gone to save.

Thanks. Brad.
Exactly what I was thinking, I do not think many will do a dye penetrant. And really when you start coming down to it when that much damage has happened does it make since to pay for the machining and repair?

You are in the biz, how much cost would you have into inspecting and then repairing a bad case?

Last edited by Wildman_grafix; 07-06-2023 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-06-2023, 03:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Exactly what I was thinking, I do not think many will do a dye penetrant. And really when you start coming down to it when that much damage has happened does it make since to pay for the machining and repair?

You are in the biz, how much cost would you have into inspecting and then repairing a bad case?
Wildman,

It would be out of the question for me. I don't have any fixturing to hold them, which would be an absolute necessity. For someone like AADS, who, I would think, would have the necessary fixturing, I wouldn't think it would be a real hill for a climber. I also don't know what a case would cost. The question is whether you could find a bare case, or a complete used drive that would otherwise be rebuildable. Sometimes, it comes down to what you have over what you wish you could find. I am of the opinion that nearly everything is repairable, if you don't have any other options. Looking forward at my long-term goals (fantasies), I don't think I would opt for an XR at all. If I need more than I can handle with an X, I'll just go with an SC or an SCX. But if my boat had come with an XR, and I needed to cobb it back together, for lack of options, I'd probably be pretty willing to go to the expense of making sure the case was as sound as I could make happen.

Thanks. Brad.
Wildman_grafix (07-07-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 08:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 777 Likes on 354 Posts

I found a solution with a relatively local guy.

Fortunately I only lost a bit of one tooth on the input gear......

Going to rebuild. Fingers crossed I'll be back boating sooner than later....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.