Notices

OT: Gibson exhaust

Old 12-05-2002, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OT: Gibson exhaust

Well last week I had the catalytic converter & O2 sensors replaced on my 98 ram. It has about 97,000 miles, and runs great. As I have to keep it for a while, I plan on putting a dual (past the muffler) exhaust system on it. I am considering a Gibson exhaust where both of the pipes exit behind the rear wheel on the passenger's side (cause I like the look).

Anyways, does anyone have any experience with these in regards to:

1) Any noticable performance ?
2) The sound of the system (how much louder) ?
2) The quality ?
3) The installation ?

Thanks in advance

Ratchet
Old 12-05-2002, 12:48 PM
Registered

Two of my friends have them on their Dakota's

They said they didnt notice any more performance.
They are just about the same loudness as any other aftermarket brand.
One set has over 40000miles on it and it's still like it was when he first got it. No holes, corrosion etc.
His installation is very clean and neat, (welds etc) but that seems to be in the hand of the person that installs it.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:55 PM
Registered

According to their website, they claim they are bolt on systems behind the converter ?
Old 12-05-2002, 01:00 PM
Registered

You are prob right about them being bolt on. I have been under the truck when he had it on the rack and inspected it and pulled on it but I was there just helping, I didnt pay close attention how it was mounted. Seemed very solid though however he had it mounted.

Last edited by Mark in So. MD; 12-05-2002 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-05-2002, 01:49 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

I put a Gibson CatBack on my old 94 chevy ext cab pickup. Was easy as cake! The fit and finish are great! The sound was a little quiet for me at idle...barely louder then stock at idle...but it has a nice tone on take off and WOT. It didnt have any "drone" while cruising on the highway either. As for performance.....i did notice a small gain but thats probably because i installed shorty headers at the same time....and it gave me better economy..

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 12-05-2002, 02:03 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I had a Gibson cat-back on my '99 Dakota V-8. There were no noticeable gains in performance, nor did I expect any. Unless you install a complete system like Wally, I doubt there are any. I bought it for that nice V-8 sound which it delivered. A more throaty sound at idle and throughout the rpm range. It was not annoying at highway speed and I was very pleased at the difference from the stock set-up. The local muffler shop installed it for me and had to do a slight mod, but nothing major. I'd do it again but I have a diesel now.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Gibson is pretty good .
If you want more sound go with the flow master system.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:22 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

If your looking for a very throaty sound in the Rams go with the FlowMaster 50 series muffler....
If looking for something more mellow and slightly louder then stock then go with the FlowMaster Delta 70

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 12-05-2002, 02:55 PM
Registered

HEY RATCHET...What you SHOULD have done, was replace the stock catalytic converter(s) with HI-FLOW units (there are many makes, I used RANDOM TECHNOLOGIES on my old BRONCO)...The CATS are the "major obstruction" in the STOCK system...Most of the name brand "cat back" systems are pretty similiar with the sound/noise being the main difference as well as tip preference...I went with the 3-chamber "BIG-BLOCK" 3" in/3" out FLOWMASTER muffler with the hi-flo cat, MAC headers, (which is where the REAL performance gains are REALLY made),2.5" tubes from the headers to a 3" Y-PIPE junction, & a full 3" tube ALL THE WAY back to the tip...My system was custom bent/installed by a local HI-PO muffler shop (LOU'S CUSTOM EXHAUST) and was EXTREMELY happy with the results & REAL(DOCUMENTED at drag strip as well as seat of the pants) performance gains/mileage/sound/price($400 from headers back)!!!That was an "ALUMINIZED" system that was 6 years old & had a 100,000 miles on it and looked like it would go ANOTHER 100K when I sold the truck!!!If you live around BOSTON I HIGHLY recommend LOU'S as the way to go!!!Since you already changed the cats it is just a matter of choosing the "system" that has the sound you like...Resonance is usually created by NOT isolating the exhaust from the frame parts...The system should be isolated with hi-temp rubber bushings/isolaters & NOT torqued down to the frame like you're HERCULES!!!Exhausts expand & contract so they NEED a little "room to move"...KEEP THOSE CARDS & LETTERS COMING...Hope this helps...
Old 12-05-2002, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a Gibson cat back w/ dual outlets out the back on my 97 ford f150 w/ 4.6 and put the same system later on my 99 f150 w/ 5.4. I noticed no gain at all, performance or mileage (actually thought the 4.6 had better power when I put stock back on). Idle, acceleration, and WFO was a very nice powerful yet mellow sound but my particular application had the dreaded drone at 55-60 mph on both trucks. Installation was no big deal, did it in the driveway, although tailpipes did not make it to the bumper, had to add pipe. I would not use that particular product again. I also had a friend who put a Gibson system on his 5.7 Suburban (non vortech) w/ single pipe all the way and saw no improvement either, just a lot of cabin noise. I would think there are better power improvers available, I would only replace exhaust on a gas engine again if mine was junk. Just my opinion.

PS - Gibson told me the single pipe from the muffler back makes more torque for towing that the twin pipe from the muffler back.

Quick Reply: OT: Gibson exhaust

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.