Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Jersey Boyz race meeting set >

Jersey Boyz race meeting set

Notices

Jersey Boyz race meeting set

Old 12-19-2002, 09:30 PM
mjuwalters

With no disrespect to Bill W who is a friend of mine, or anybody else I think the APBA has never been a friend to the little guy [ club racer] . Even going back to when we had the divisional classes, the expense for a guy who wanted to run one or two races was to high.It takes the fun out of racing if you have to spend the summers fuel budget on one or two races. I know the insurance issues are difficult but I hope we can find a way to keep cost down. I think that would help greatly in increasing the field.
I would like to thank the Jerzy Boys for all there hard work and I hope everything works out well. Mabe we will get a race on the chesapeake bay.
Michael

Old 12-19-2002, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you newer guys might not remember, but you old timers will.

Once upon a time there was a club in the North East that did just what the Jersey Boys are now trying to do. It was the NPBA, run by Billy Frenz. It grew out of the BBPBRA, (Did I get that right?) who remembers those initials? RonP, Kurt, any one? And the Greenwich Conn. Group. Seven or eight races, up and down the east coast, NJ, NY, Mass. LI, The green flag saw 60 race boats start, everyone raced towards a year-end high points. As a matter of fact, most of us that raced APBA, also raced NPBA. The racing was great, it didn’t matter which Sanc, body you raced under. Some of you old timers might remember. It worked once, it can work again. Talk to Billy Frenz.

Philip
Old 12-19-2002, 10:28 PM
xtremeracingf1

Mile,
I dont think anyone is suprised!!!!!!!!

Old 12-19-2002, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Phillip...you mentioning Billy just reminded me....I have to get in touch with him...

Great guy...he brokered our purchase of Big Red....

Thanks...
Old 12-19-2002, 10:53 PM
Registered

Marty, when you talk to Billy, tell him I said Hi.
Philip
Old 12-19-2002, 11:34 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Boy that was before my time. I remember the NPBA but not the race sites. That must have been when Kurt Burger was the NE commissionare for APBA. This must have been in the early 1970s???

No doubt that Kurt is the man that can get this rolling again. Now he has a lot more help!
Old 12-20-2002, 05:50 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Philip My thoughts exactly..... Maybe we just need to get the NPBA's old racing rule book??? Could save alot of time & not have to reinvent the wheel.
I'm in favor of seeing those 21 single outboards come back out to race. How many 24 skaters still around? Hmmm? 24-30ft twin engine cat class with stock power?

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 12-20-2002, 07:26 AM
WATERBOY2

NPBA did a great job establishing a solid divisional circut in the Northeast.They had five classes:A,B,C,D&E, with fleets as high as sixty boats at some races!These classes became the APBA's original Divisional Sportsman classes.The single outboard A Class was drawing as many as fifteen boats per race!

Old 12-20-2002, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tic...tic....tic....

...little more than 24 hours to go....
Old 12-20-2002, 10:48 AM
Registered

RonP yea it was some time ago. I thought you would get the BBPBRA If I remember right, “Barnegate Bay Power Boat Racing Association” The BBPBRA combined with the Gateway (Billy Frenz’s) group to make NPBA. The success wasn’t in the classes, it was in the Spirit. Most of us would run Grand Haven, or wherever, and then get back to run either a bay race or Boston, or wherever. The classes were pretty basic, like waterboy said, A= single V, B=twin V, o/b or I/b, C= 3 engine O/B V. or twin o/B Cat, or small block twin cat I/O, I have the rules, but they are outdated now, and wouldn’t be very fair. These races drew everything from A boats, 21’ Shadows/Challengers, Superboats. To Mark and Chris Lavin J/J boats, Etc. The traveling wasn’t crazy, the Race Venues that Billy used were varied, The atmosphere for the most part was very relaxed. I know Billy is out there lurking, Hi Billy!

Philip

Quick Reply: Jersey Boyz race meeting set

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.