trailer length restrictions

Notices

trailer length restrictions

Old 12-12-2002, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default trailer length restrictions

I'll be towing a 35 foot cat which is not all that long but the Myco Trailer is 50 ft. overall length from the Miami area to Sacramento, Ca. after Christmas. Tow truck is a Ford F350 4 door short bed. Are there any restrictions or permits that I will need? I think the width on the Jaguar cat will be okay. Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks, Doug
Old 12-12-2002, 08:40 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Main thing is be a private tower,not commercial. If anyone asks, it's your personal boat or a friend's boat. Plead ignorance as to lentgh and width and you should be OK. We recently took a 400SS Formula to Ca from Al,over width and over height with no problems and no permits.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doug,, I don't think the Length will be a Problem, but I would do some Measuring on the Width. 102 inches wide is Max. legal Width, and thats on Designated Hwy's. Different States have Different Laws on Width of Vehicles, off of Main State Hwy's.

With that said, All it takes is that One DOT Officer, that hasnt made his Quota And he can just about make up his own Rules!!!! I've been in the Trucking Bussiness All my Life, I'll try to answer any other Questions you Have!!!!
Old 12-12-2002, 09:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

This may help:http://www.boatus.com/trailerclub/laws.asp

Last edited by Raypanic; 12-12-2002 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I towed my new Eliminator 28 Daytona from Calif to Okla all along I-40 without any problem. 1400 miles with a 108 inch width (9 foot) and with several troopers passing me along the way.
Make sure you check wheel bearings, and tire pressures often.
Just my 2 cents
Old 12-12-2002, 10:44 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Troutly, you are right of course. My point was that a plain truck with a plain overwidth boat can sometimes slip by. We are taking a 10'2"wide 330 Formula to Daytona Beach, Fl Monday, please don't tell anybody.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:24 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do yourself a favor , GET THE PERMITS !!

With that rig ,you will stick out like a soar thumb !

I tow 12' wide . I don't get them in my own state but out of state you are asking for it ! You MUST have a sign that reads "oversize load" on the front bumper of the truck and the rear of the trailer . You MUST have a red flag on each corner of the boat (4). CAll a "permit broker ". YOu need to set it up weeks ahead of time . YOu must know exact dates of travel, exact messurements of truck and trailer with boat . Messurments from the front truck axel to rear truck axel to hitch to front trailer axel to next axel to next axel to end of load .(props ) load overhang behind and sides , how tall ,etc . EVERYTHING!!!! OH ,and how much everything weighs !

I brought my boat home from Michigan when I bought it . Glad I got permits . YOu tell them exactly what roads you plan to travel on what day and they check your route and make sure you can FIT !!! If you can't ,they will reroute you so you can . It is a good thing for long distance . Turned out the turnpike was under constuction ,they would not let me run on it over 10' ! It took me an extra day to get around it and they maped it all out . 22 roads later , I was back on track ! Permits for NJ, PA, OH, IN,MI, only cost me $136 . that was worth it ! COuld have cost me $10,000 in fines if I got cought with out the permits ! plus impounding the rig !! Truck stops have the signs and flags . Call a permit broker or 2 for prices . Don't call each state . They rip you off . Let a broker set it up with one call .

E-mail me if you want more info , JOE

[email protected]
Old 12-13-2002, 12:49 AM
Registered

Don't know if you would be coming through GA. or not, should be on I-10, but if the weight rating on the trailer is over 10,000#'s, you need a CDL. I, personally take my chances on this one every time I tow. Good luck

Robert
Old 12-13-2002, 05:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd follow the laws and get what ever permits are required.
It may be a hassle, but not compared to the one you'll get if you're caught.
Old 12-13-2002, 05:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"MAMA" know's his s&*t. I agree. As long as you maintain the speed limit and not drive like an idiot the troopers will pretty much leave you alone. As mama said the local streets do have restrictions. Stick with motel's that are close to truck stops. I have been in the trucking biz for over 20 years. You really will not have a problem.

Quick Reply: trailer length restrictions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.