Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
NEED LEGAL ADVICE A.S.A.P.    BEING HARASSED BY SHERIFF. FOR EXCESSIVE DECIBEL  LEVEL >

NEED LEGAL ADVICE A.S.A.P. BEING HARASSED BY SHERIFF. FOR EXCESSIVE DECIBEL LEVEL

Notices

NEED LEGAL ADVICE A.S.A.P. BEING HARASSED BY SHERIFF. FOR EXCESSIVE DECIBEL LEVEL

Old 07-06-2001, 07:05 AM
biggdawgg2

these cops are on the water not in gang infested area how stressful is that. people should now the law before buying there boats and check the noise level.the dealers selling the boats should now the laws and install proper mufflers to combat the noise.thats my $2.oo worth because i make more than sense

Old 07-06-2001, 08:54 AM
Miami

Mr. & Mrs Bad HTM and Board Members
Lets's get back to the Problem and come up with a solution! The Law is one issue and harrasment is another and completely different issue.
The Law - 90 decibles seems to be a standard throuout most of the country. A stock 454 with through hull exhaust produces 90 decibles, measured @ idle three ft from the transom. A select few, lucky individuals buy homes on the water. They hear noise all weekend long that disturbs their peace. They think they own the water! They do not. The water is for the public. However it was the public ( someone in the state legislature ) that passed the noise level ordinance. Forget the fact the the homeowners assosiation bought the boat. Lets assume that there are 500 homes in the association. They would each be assesed $140.00 to cover the $70,000. mentioned. How many performance boaters are in your region or body of water? Is there a powerboat association. One thousand members @ $100.00 each has a lot more clout than the homeowners. Petitions, hearings, meetings and or liasons with the police, homeowners and or legislature that passed the law can all be effective. It is a long, arduous road to take, but it can be effective. Even if it is not successful, it can put sufficient pressure on law enforcement so as to make the ordinance rarely enforced. We all have to get involved politically before it is too late. It seems a common thread that most board members dislike personal watercraft. They have been banned from Lake Tahoe due to noise.

Okay - you don't want to be political. Get Shotgun mufflers, nicely polished, no messy air cables hanging off your transom, can be adjusted for idle noise level and open automatically the minute you push the sticks forward.

Harassment - now you are legal and they keep stopping you. That should be an attorney's dream. The courts can be an immediate remedy.

I personally love the sound of loud, radical motors.

In closing ( sorry to take soo long )we have four choices; change the law, comply with the law, don't get caught or pay the fine.

Old 07-06-2001, 10:08 AM
Brad Perry

This sucks! I came on this board in the old venue, when everyone was attacking everybody else. The site owner even removed some posts and posted an appology and a statement that it would not be tolerated in the future. When the venue changed, it seemed that everybody behaved, and the board became great. Obviously the venue is not all that changed. No matter how mad we are, we all have similar interests in common and would probably all like each other out on the water if we met (cops, Investment bankers, garbage men..who cares?). Let's show a little restraint and respect when replying to each other, else this great forum will be lost.

Old 07-06-2001, 01:46 PM
HavasuCat

bigdawg,

You never know what might happen, even being on the water. Law enforcement officers at havasu recently took automatic weapons fire while on their patrol boat.

Old 07-06-2001, 05:48 PM
Allan4

Miami, good point about the powerboat Assoc. Strength in numbers, and the last few posts here are very true and sensible, but if you have ever been mistreated by the law, it's horribly frustrating and you have little recourse but to pursue to a higher authority, be it the courts or high ranking officer, politician, etc.... I know it seldom happens, because the vast majority law inforcement does a great job. It's ajob I certainly would not want becuase of all the BS you have to deal with. I have several good freinds in the field as well. All great guys. However, and they'll even tell you, we all know that the power is occasionally abused, so it's up to the individual how big a deal he/she wants to make it. Miami, your four choices really some it up. But in reality there are instances where you have to defend your turf when you are being pushed around, if that is indeed what is happening. HAve fun on the water this weekend, Midwest weather should be beautiful!!!!!!

Old 07-09-2001, 10:20 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not know what the laws are were you are, but all I can say is that my DB meter has to be calibrated ALL THE TIME!!! I have a $3000.00 meter that I keep at the shop for the larger systems and the el cheepo that I take around with me all the time. The El cheapo is good but the things do need to be calibrated often. Also if they use the wrong scale, do not hold it vertically, or lots of other factors like a large vertical wall to one side of the boat will all effect the read. Hey you can always move to New England there are no noise restrictions that I know of Yet .

Jon
Old 07-09-2001, 12:14 PM
slydog2

i'd love to have loud exhaust, i have a 502mag and it sounds like a 6, my flappers are just below the water line, anybody got any ideas how to make my exhaust louder?
sly

Old 03-13-2002, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received one of those bogus tickets for excessive noise. This occured the summer of 01. I boat on the Chain 'O Lakes.

Anyway, the occifer said "you can blame this on the head honcho" (anyone know who this could be????) I drive a STOCK 27' Fountain.

To make a long story short, I paid the ticket ($75.00) because I was too busy to challenge it. I read later the "head honcho" had appealed his citations. You know the rest..........
Old 03-13-2002, 07:42 PM
Registered

What do you think about some of those Harley Davidsons?

At least 50% must be over the limit. They're an assault on the senses compared to a BBC on water!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2002, 08:02 PM
Registered

BBC Boats on water.... SOUNDS LIKE.... VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: NEED LEGAL ADVICE A.S.A.P. BEING HARASSED BY SHERIFF. FOR EXCESSIVE DECIBEL LEVEL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.