Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Duct Tape.....how have you used it to make a repair, etc...marine or otherwise. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/39543-duct-tape-how-have-you-used-make-repair-etc-marine-otherwise.html)

Waterfoul 12-23-2002 08:12 PM

Duct Tape.....how have you used it to make a repair, etc...marine or otherwise.

I once used it to hold the headlight in, the fender on, and the hood down after an accident with an 90 Olds Cutlass Calais. Stayed that way for quite some time. Till I traded the car, a new fender, and the bumber cover in on a Chevy truck. Parts were in the trunk when I traded it in!! LOL!!

What's your best use of the wonderfull stuff called Duct Tape?????

glassdave 12-23-2002 08:33 PM

i snow ski an awful lot and i keep about a 4 or 5 foot piece wraped around my pole just under the grip.you would not believe how many times i hafta replenish the supply each year. mostly its used by other people and when they see where i keep it there like " hey . . that's a good idea" . . .ahhh . . wonderfull duck tape . . i mean duct tape . . .:D :D :D

Hauling Trash 12-23-2002 08:36 PM

My Christmas Lights :D :D :D :D

PhantomChaos 12-23-2002 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This boat won't run without it.....that's why it's nick-named RWD (Running W/ DuctTape). :D :D :D :D

Allan4 12-23-2002 08:55 PM

THAT THING IS FREAKIN' BAD!!!!!!!!!

Damn, what a boat......now back to the duct tape, I use it to restrain my grilfreind during sex.

Relax everyone.......just kidding.....HeHeHe....

I think the better question for me is, what DON'T use it for.....:D :D

fred 12-23-2002 09:33 PM

I used it once to patch over some rusted out cab corners on an old Ford truck, put the tape over the holes and painted it to match.....beautiful.......well at least from 50'.....Fred

ragtop409 12-23-2002 10:40 PM

I used it to old the linkage on my carburator on my 409 when it broke. drove it all the way home with the tape and a bunjy cord :D

boomer 12-24-2002 08:29 AM

No but I know some women who use it as a bra.

Also had a guy in the field try to patch a Nitric Acid line with it. (didn't know thats what he wanted it for). Does not hold up well.

Cignificant 12-24-2002 08:36 AM

I used it last summer on my boat. One of my Crane coils "cracked" and the spark was jumping all over the mounting bracket. I wrapped it up in DT and made it home.

Gizmo 12-24-2002 08:37 AM

Used to crew on a SCCA Corvette, guess I used my share.

Patched to bottom of a jet ski last summer.... would have gone down otherwise.

keep a roll handy at all times.....

Boatshopping 12-24-2002 08:40 AM

While driving all night to Summit Point for a SCCA race we had a U-joint in the motor home go bad. All the needle bearings were toast. We got the duct tape out of the race trailer and started taping up the joint and the shaft like you would a swivel for a socket set. We couldn't go real fast, 30-35 mph. And when we saw sparks we would stop and dose the joint with some motor oil. But it got us there in the middle of the night. Replaced it the next day in the day light.

John

GO4BROKE 12-24-2002 09:10 AM

it keeps the plexi glass in the broken window at my camp.

Wally 12-24-2002 09:13 AM

I got thrown off my snowmobile two years ago at 60mph on a trail....landed hands first and ripped my plam open from just below the middle of the palm to the wrist. Didnt know how bad it was till after we got back on the sleds and stopped at the next junction......a few napkins....ducktape to hold it all together and a 45 min ride back to the hotel to pack up, we hit the hospital......surgeon was laughing at me for useing ducktape! He said "Now i've seen it all" :D :D 13 stitches later i was ou tthe door and contemplating on continuing riding again! I mean come on...we were only there for 8hrs so far and i didnt get much riding in! :D They all talked me out of it and we drove home... :(

DJD 12-24-2002 09:20 AM

I use it on my wife occasionally when she acts up;)

Waterfoul 12-24-2002 09:22 AM

Originally posted by Troutly
A friend's 42 Fountain busted the beak off a couple summers ago spraying water everywhere. I threw him the life line (duct tape) and we patched it up with that.

:D
:crazy:

WOW!!!! Reggie should put a roll in every boat then!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D

KAAMA 12-24-2002 10:20 AM

Duct tape...

Apparently, one of our country's airliners thinks it's good enough in using it to seal up holes in the wings of some of their aircraft. That is until the aircraft regulatory commision found out about it and said UNH-UH!--------NO WAY!

Panther 12-24-2002 10:34 AM

Sister had an 77' Delta 98. Used it to repair the fenders, tried it on the exhaust once and it worked for about 30 seconds. It was 30 seconds of slinence.

We proceeded to put (Team Duct Tape) written in Duct Tape on the rear quarter panels. Everyone knew that car!!!

Avengerangel 12-24-2002 10:38 AM

About 2 months ago my husband was in the hospital having back surgery and I was holding down the fort at our concrete business. One of our trucks sprung a pin hole leak in the water tank. It was at the exact height of a driverside window on most cars. Needless to say our truck driver got his fair share of finger gestures that day. When he got back to the shop I grabbed my hubbies trusty roll of duct tape and repaired the water tank. It held until the new one came in. When I went to the hospital that night that story brought a much needed smile to my husbands face. I was so proud of myself. :D

Iggy 12-24-2002 11:03 AM

My Dad's neighbor had an old (and I mean old) Piper Cub, he used it to cover small holes in the fabric covered wings and tail. He took me up for a ride and every piece was still attached when we landed.

jafo 12-24-2002 11:10 AM

Re: Duct tape...

Originally posted by KAAMA
Apparently, one of our country's airliners thinks it's good enough in using it to seal up holes in the wings of some of their aircraft. That is until the aircraft regulatory commision found out about it and said UNH-UH!--------NO WAY!

Mark,
You don't even want to know what we use that stuff for around aircraft!:eek: :D
(just kidding of course);)

bajadude 12-24-2002 11:19 AM

Middle of nowhere in up state ME sledding. Threads holding the cap on the coolant reservoir on my wives sled stripped. Duct taped the threads, put the cap on and duct taped the chit out of the reservoir. Made it back almost 100 miles. Kept it that way the rest of the season with no problems :D :D :D Never sled without it:cool:

Audiofn 12-24-2002 11:32 AM

I used it once when one of my engine hoses got a hole in it. Wrapped it up and actually left it on there for the weekend!!! I could not find another hose and it worked fine, just kept my eye on it.

Another board memeber hear got hit by a drunk boater and his boat sank in front of his house. My buddy took Duct tape and made a HUGE pannel out of it and then jumped in the water and applied it UNDERWATER!!!! It held on there well enough that we got the boat dry and Paul was able to drive it over to the nearest ramp and pull it out!!!!! :D:D

Lots of good uses for Duct tape, just DO NOT use it on anything in the sunlight or heat if you ever want it to come off :(

Jon

mika 12-24-2002 11:35 AM

When I was 17 years old I was glassing the hull deck joint together on a 16' boat I was fixing up. Well my girlfriend was hanging around being bored and thought it would be really neat to remove the HAIR from my LEG:eek: :mad: with a peice of DUCT TAPE as I was buried up in the bow of the boat completely helpless.:crazy:

Kohldog 12-24-2002 12:58 PM

A couple of years back I tore up my ankle pretty bad while on a boat trip. Didn't want to go to the hospital in a small town and incure doctors fees away from my clinic. Since nothing seemed broken, my solution to the problem was ----- DUCT TAPE. I put on a layer upside down so it didn't stick to me and then wrapped the hell out of it. That fine silver cast held my foot from bouncing on a 50 mile ride home. I won't go boating again without that handy tool. :D

HyperBaja 12-24-2002 01:04 PM

I helped the neighbor fix his prop with it. The dings arent as noticable. Grey duct tape on a ss prop, he is not always off, but always drunk.

MnFastBoat 12-24-2002 01:24 PM

don't even own a roll
first time I used it in over 3 years was 2 weeks ago for the Monster Truck show at hte Dome. I was a part of the crew that helped set the track and work the show. Used it to put the blue tarp safety barrier all the way around the seating area.

Other then that, never used it :(

I never said that I cold have used it at some point, just never have.

PhantomChaos 12-24-2002 01:28 PM

The limit of my mechanical expertise:

If is doesn't move and it should: apply WD-40

If it moves and it shouldn't: apply duct tape

Tbonepmp 12-24-2002 01:37 PM

Originally posted by PhantomChaos
The limit of my mechanical expertise:

If is doesn't move and it should: apply WD-40

If it moves and it shouldn't: apply duct tape

I GUESS THIS HAS A GREAT DEAL TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT YOU OWN A FORMULA...!!!!:D :p

NO OFFENSE TROUTLY!!!!:cool:

*(J/K)*

PhantomChaos 12-24-2002 01:39 PM

Originally posted by Tbonepmp
I GUESS THIS HAS A GREAT DEAL TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT YOU OWN A FORMULA...!!!!:D :p

NO OFFENSE TROUTLY!!!!:cool:

*(J/K)*

This is pretty much the reason Tony.......it never breaks. :D :D :D

Tbonepmp 12-24-2002 01:45 PM

This is pretty much the reason Tony.......it never breaks. :D :D :D
I BEG TO DIFFER MY LITTLE FRIEND, WHY DON'T YOU ASK SIR TROUTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO HIS DASH ON THE BRUTAL WATERS OF LOTO? THEN AGAIN, THAT POND YOU BOAT ON... WHAT IS IT CALLED HAVAZOOOOOOOO....:D DOESN'T EVEN GET A SLIGHT CHOP DOES IT??? BTW, I HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR CHRISTMAS GIFT!:eek: :D :p

PhantomChaos 12-24-2002 01:51 PM

The pond? Oh.....you mean the Pacific Ocean. Have you ever seen an ocean you land lover! You don't even qualify to be on a "offshore" boating site you friggin poodle! I only go to Havasu 2-3 times a year because it's too friggin busy!

:D :D :D

Tbonepmp 12-24-2002 02:02 PM

The pond.... yeah I know. I wish I had an offshore boat so I could go boating in the Pacific Ocean. I'm such a land lover! I don't even qualify to be on a "offshore" boating site.... GEEZ, I'm such a friggin poodle! I only go to Havasu 2-3 times a year because it's too friggin busy!

:D :D :D

GAME, SET, MATCH.... THE WINNER IS TBONEPMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NORTY, IT MUST SUCK ALWAYS COMING IN SECOND PLACE... THEN AGAIN.... I GUESS YOU'RE USE TO IT DRIVING A FORMULA!!!!!!!:D :p

RumRunner 12-24-2002 02:02 PM

Duct Tape

-I've taped the front end back onto a race car after contact with a MPH marker
-Taped a door back together after a kid on a scooter ran into it
-Wraped up a broken u-joint after exploding it to limp home
-and taped a bunch of lug nuts to a guys drive shaft, he was being a jerk, and I'm sure the vibration he felt while driving home scared the crap out of him !!!

PhantomChaos 12-24-2002 02:04 PM

Originally posted by Tbonepmp
GAME, SET, MATCH.... THE WINNER IS TBONEPMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NORTY, IT MUST SUCK ALWAYS COMING IN SECOND PLACE... THEN AGAIN.... I GUESS YOU'RE USE TO IT DRIVING A FORMULA!!!!!!!:D :p

Living in a fantasy world huh? I spank your stupid little CAP LITTERED POSTS EVERY TIME!!!! :D :D :D :D

Kohldog 12-24-2002 02:07 PM

Rumrummer, Did the Lugnuts come form his car?:eek: :eek: :D

RumRunner 12-24-2002 02:19 PM

Nope not from his car, but I know some guys who wired a guys horn to his brake light switch for being a pain in the but !!! The next time to his head lights when he was leaving for a long ride....

rbtnt 12-24-2002 05:13 PM

It will hold your shoe together if you have a blow out in the middle of nowhere.

A friend calls it mother-in-law tape:D

Allan4 12-24-2002 10:52 PM

Originally posted by RumRunner
Nope not from his car, but I know some guys who wired a guys horn to his brake light switch for being a pain in the but !!! The next time to his head lights when he was leaving for a long ride....
That one is going into the memory bank........:D :D :D :D

Wildfire 12-24-2002 11:47 PM

College: Sealed leaking sunroof on Olds Cutlass - two applications per year. Also useful for making two canoes into a "four-man drinking platform" on float trips - more stable, less waste.

Now: Covered holes in transom during trailer swapping. Still there too. What can I say, it's Arkansas!

Audiofn 12-25-2002 12:13 AM

Originally posted by RumRunner
When I was a rep for Car electronics I stopped in at a store and these guys had wired a LARGE cap into this guys seat. So when he stopped by and tried to get the car with out paying he got WACKED HUGE with a shock. He came right into the store to pay :D:D

Jon