Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT - HDTV (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/39650-ot-hdtv.html)

SPITFIRE 01-02-2003 08:37 AM

thanks jon, i'll be in touch bill

Audiofn 01-02-2003 08:57 AM

Originally posted by chrker
At the risk of being partially incorrect again, :) DVI is being widely adopted by movie studios, cable and satellite providers for a very important reason. With DVI you also get HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Copyright Protection). At this time, DVI is not a recordable interface.

Most consumer electronics manufacturers recommend the use of the 1394CP (Firewire) interconnect as the interface between recordable high definition devices (D-VHS/DVD-R) while DVI/HDCP should become the standard for connection to the display device.

For example, to watch HDTV you could use DVI and go from your Set Top Box (STB) (DVI Out) to the TV (DVI In). If you want to record HDTV you should use the Firewire or component interconnect and go from your STB (Firewire or Component Out) to the recordable high definition device (Firewire or Component In). To play stuff recorded on your recordable high definition device you could use the Firewire, Component or DVI interconnects to connect the recordable high definition device to the TV.

Ain’t this stuff fun?

Right on. The DVI output is for "future use" there does not seem to be any need for it yet, however the future is uncertain so if you are getting any new sets you better get one. Runco is making a killer video processor that will have the DVI input on it so if your TV set does not have the DVI input you can get this and not have to toss your set. :D:D

Jon

Clay Washington 03-29-2003 11:14 AM

Update- March 29th

Well, I bought the Hughes in mid February. After some trouble with the Setup (my fault), I got is working. The HDNet picture is awesome! However, there are VERY FEW HD stations.

Today, something is wrong. Although the box says that is has a strong satellite signal, it cannot produce any satellite stations. I plan to return the Hughes box, and look for another HD tuner.

Right now I am considering the Samsung SIR-TS160. It has the DVI interface that Audiofn has been talking about. Plus, it has an "always on" 480i output. This will allow you to watch a show in 1080i, but record in on an analog VCR in 480i AT THE SAME TIME!

Anyway, I'll keep y'all updated... :D

Clay Washington 03-30-2003 10:57 AM

Samsung SIR-TS160

Well, I returned the Hughes and got the Samsung. It was a sweet swap. I bought the Hughes for $500, and the Samsung is $600 (at Best Buy). But, I had a "10% off anything in the store email" from Best Buy (I guess for my birthday). 10% from $600 is $60, so I swapped boxes for only $40! :D

The picture from the Samsung is the same as the Hughes, but the speed of guide is faster. The guide is entirely different, and it will take me a day or two to get familar with it.

The Samsung has more outputs, but I don't need the "extra" ones, yet. All in all I am very happy with the swap.

HDTV is an expensive conversion, but I believe that 2003 will be a big year for HDTV viewers. If you are "on the fence", do your research and make your decision. I'm glad I bought when I did. :cool: