Notices

OT - HDTV

Old 12-26-2002, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post OT - HDTV

I have a HDTV-ready TV (55" Mitsubishi), and I am looking to buy a HDTV receiver. Best buy currently has a Hughes Network Systems High-Definition DIRECTV/Over-the-Air Set-Top Converter Box for sale for $499.

It can receive and decode over-the-air HDTV signals as well as both regular Direct TV and HD Direct TV.

Has anyone seen/used this product? I will need to get it before the Super Bowl. I hear that it will be broadcast in HDTV!
Old 12-26-2002, 12:44 PM
Registered

ABC will broadcast the Super Bowl in HDTV
Old 12-26-2002, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i have the 65 mitsu and the rca hd receiver only one out at the time i got it... but if you have a newer mitsu01 or 02 i would recomend going to a high end audio video store and purchasing the mitsu dtv/ hd receiver box... about the same price as the sony or hughes... they just dont carry it at best buy
Old 12-26-2002, 01:54 PM
srpbaer

Dreamer, I too have the late model Mitsu HDTV...the last time I priced the mits reciever they were $850.00...almost twice the RCA/Hughes model

Old 12-26-2002, 05:33 PM
Registered

105mph_38_2003
I thought if you have a digital reciever and the broadcast is in HDTV you did'nt need the box??
Only if the TV has a built in HDTV tuner and that will only work for broadcast signals (antenna). "HDTV ready" needs a tuner and almost all sets need a satellite HDTV receiver for DirectTV HDTV broadcasts. BTW I do not believe any cable companies are sending HDTV signals. Digital cable is mostly marketing. They compress the signals more in digital format so they can send more channels at the same quality (NTCS standard 260 lines interlaced)

Steve
Old 12-26-2002, 05:37 PM
Registered

Originally posted by 105mph_38_2003
I thought if you have a digital reciever and the broadcast is in HDTV you did'nt need the box?? We have the Sony TV"s with digital cable and it looks awesome with a direct connection from the cable. The cable co. said that I don't need another convertor since the digital cable goes directly to the TV....Is this right??
Digital cable and high definition TV are not the same thing. The TV that Clay has is one of Mitsu's HDTV ready models. Which means you need the set top box. Some of the new diamond series models have the HDTV receiver (tuner) built-in. In that case all you do is hook up the cable. I have been shopping for TV's for the last few weeks and I think this info is correct. Somebody correct me if I am all F'd up on this.

Mike
Old 12-26-2002, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

just get the mitsu directv box... not the mistu decoder box

trust me
Old 12-26-2002, 05:53 PM
Registered

We just bought a 65" Hitachi widescreen HDTV. We had to also buy the HD reciever for our satellite service in order to recieve HD signals. You can also buy a tv with the box built in the, but I found that it is about the same price if you by the box seperate as we did. I was told the advatage to buying a seperate box was that you could switch it to a different tv, or split it off to more than one tv. If it is built into the tv that you buy then it can only be used with that tv.

As far as digital vs Hd goes there is no comparison. Digital signals are 260 lines interlace as stated above. Dvd's are 480, and HD is 1080. Once you watch a movie in HD you don't want to go back to a regular signal.

The problem with Hd now though is there are few channels. We get one HBO channel, and one pay per view channel. There is also a Discovery channel available as well as a Showtime channel if you want to pay for them. It depends on what service you have as to what channels you can get.
Old 12-26-2002, 05:56 PM
Registered

Does anyone have a VCR for sale? or a 36" TV??(with S Video)

Tommy
Old 12-26-2002, 08:12 PM
Registered

Post Mitsubishi

Dreamer...

Do you have the Mitsubishi SR-HD400 system? Also, Mitsubishi SR-HD500 system. Frys Electronics has the SR-HD400 unit for sale for $799 (I think).

Why would it be better than the Hughes unit?

More Hughes unit information.

Last edited by Clay Washington; 12-26-2002 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: OT - HDTV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.