Notices

Current Events

Old 12-29-2002, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The genset is a touchy issue for me.

All my Cig buddies give me $hit for having it, but they don't mind watchign FreezeFrame videos in the AC cooled baby snow seal skined covered couches in the cabin.

I had DSM service the GenSet in April before we went to the AHBA poker run in may (oil change). Got out to Havasu, it didn't work and seem to be seized. About 10 tries and it turned over, but never started. I've been tryng to get it fixed since then. The genset guys out here suck, it's not really DSM's fault (not totally). It actually should be back in the boat in a week or so (according to the genset mechanic).
Old 12-29-2002, 07:17 PM
Registered

Hey, maybe this thread will not poof now that Nort put a boat picture in it.
Old 12-29-2002, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Doesn't the shutdown circuit operate off of exhaust elbow heat rather than water pressure or presence of water?

I've owned a blue zillion gensets (or maybe 2 of them) and they all (both) would run without water until the exhaust elbow got hot (which is what happens with no water)...

Sorry to hear of the genset trouble.

I wish somebody made an ultralight one for speedboats...
Old 12-29-2002, 07:57 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Yeah,mcollinstn,you're right, and often, by that time the impeller is already fried.Official instructions are not to run the genset at high speeds,but some of our customers don't understand that,they think a boat is like a car.
Old 12-29-2002, 08:03 PM
Registered

I know it has a high presure bypass so you can run it at speed, but I think that the amount of "air-time" isn't great enough to damage the impeller. Wouldn't it also damage the sea water pumps too?

The boat had everything I wanted but five things, one was the genset. DSM installed that with stuff from Formula. That's why the genset exhaust comes out the side, not the rear. I like it better since you can hang out behind the boat without the exhaust in your face.

See it here?
Old 12-29-2002, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

what about tapping onto the bravo pickup - or using transom pickups... wouldn't that keep from pulling in so much foam?

Do you feel it is the airtime that kills them - or is it the thru hull just doesn't do a good job at speed?

just an idea.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:37 PM
jb
Registered

AAAHHHH one of my favorite boats of all time......
Loaded like it should be!!!!! So when you go offshore...you can stay there!!!
Old 12-30-2002, 12:14 PM
Registered

Originally posted by mcollinstn
what about tapping onto the bravo pickup - or using transom pickups... wouldn't that keep from pulling in so much foam?

Do you feel it is the airtime that kills them - or is it the thru hull just doesn't do a good job at speed?

just an idea.

Foam? Are you talking about bubbles from the hull steps when running? I'm pretty sure it has a bottom intake, and that would make sense. I've never had a problem with it over heating or burning an impeller, but it's an interesting thought.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gen-Set broken:
Cheese
Wheel
Belt
Mouse
Coard
Gen-Set fixed. No water pickup, No problem. Ill go back down to DSM and fix it for you my way!!!
Old 12-30-2002, 02:00 PM
Registered

Matt-

That was the original problem......the thing was down there for service for so long that no one feed the mouse after he ran out of cheese, so the mouse died. They say it will take a few more weeks to get a new mouse and a block of that Formula factory cheese.

Quick Reply: Current Events

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.