Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT: Texas New Home Concerns?? >

OT: Texas New Home Concerns??

Notices

OT: Texas New Home Concerns??

Old 01-02-2003, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got some questions first. What part of town are you leaning towards? If you are getting a new house built it will be cheaper to have the garage done when the house is being done by the same person/builder. If you are buying an existing house in a subdivision that has a homeowners association you will have to get them to sign off on what you want to do before you do it. Are you wanting a turn key job? Metal garage or just like the house? I am assumming you are going to put an alarm in it.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:06 PM
OutlawBayB

We looked at Glennloch Farms, but a little out of our way. It's a gorgeous master planned community. I love the entrance to the equestrian center, etc...

We're currently looking at Stone Gate & Canyon Lakes @ Stone Gate. Altho, it is a golf community & we don't really golf-just miniature It sounds like Flair will prob be way out of our range. We'd like to cap out @ $200k, absolutely no more!!!!!

TURBOJACK! Hey there!!!
We're looking @ Barker Cypress/290. Legacy will build the garage for $12k in Stone Gate. David Weekly will do it for $7500 in Coles Crossing. And Kimball Hill won't do it at all. Unfortuantely, we like tthat floorplan a lot better That's why we're looking for subcontractors. I already spoke to the HOA, it needs to look like it belongs to the house. No metal bldgs/sheds, etc..And yes, Alan will do the alarm himself.
As far as turn key job, for a sketch for approval-sure. We need to offset the house to make sure we have enough room w/out easements for the garage.

Old 01-02-2003, 05:11 PM
Hudson

My advice, based on personal experience is to stay away from Kimball Hill. In 1997 I contracted with them to build a home. It was a nightmare experience and the build quality was terrible. I was so sick from the ordeal that I sold the house at a loss just after it was finished. I couldn't stand it. My next house was built by a small custom builder, and it is OK.

There have been really big class action suits in Houston agains Kimball Hill homes.

Even though the floor plans are nice and the model homes seem OK, and the prices are low, stay away!

Last edited by Hudson; 01-02-2003 at 05:13 PM.

Old 01-02-2003, 06:08 PM
OutlawBayB

HUDSON-I know Kimball Hill had some probs a few years ago, but "supposedly" that's all changed. 97-02 that's 5 years worth of changes. But then again, several builders have had some probs that have been "fixed"

I was unable to find anything under class action suits w/ Kimball. Do you have a link to any info?

What kinds of problems did you go thru w/your home? Plumbing, foundation, etc.....I'd be interested in your .02 if you have a moment. What community are you talking about, also.

Feel free to email me direct [email protected]

Old 01-02-2003, 07:20 PM
Hudson

I've sent you a private email with more details. Good luck with your decision.

Old 01-02-2003, 07:46 PM
Registered

We live in a Kimball home here in Austin. We built it during the problem times of 98. About the only major problem was the delays it took 9 months to build. We had one or two very minor warranty issues and they were Johnny on the spot to fix. I can't even remember what they were. All of my neighbors in the cove haven't had any major issues I'm aware of. We went through 3 differnt project managers before and 2 plumbers before the home was finsihed. I think the key to our success was that I walked the house a least once a week and communicated with the foremans. They say you are suppose to take all concerns to the sales office but we didn't follow that rule.

I wired 3 rooms in my house for surround during constructioin. I told the foreman I was going to do it. No problem as long as he didn't see me and I didn't slow them down. Like that was really going to be a problem.

At that time Kimball was still doing small re-designs and additions. They stopped doing that in our area right after we purchased, the foreman said.

I deal with customer in a service business every day. I think in some of the unresolved causes has to do with the customers expectations. They are expecting a $500,000 house for $250,000. They also nit pit every little thing. You are going to have some sheet rock and text imprefections, know doubt. You will have a tile some where that is miss alligned or not as level as the others.

I have down work for several of the buildings in the area and you can always find these same flaws. My wife and I were walking through some of the Toll Brothers $750+ homes and they didn't look any better.

The question is... would I build another one? Yes, if they had the plan and location that I wanted again.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not from TX but my advice from being in the business is stay away from high volume builders. You will get much better quality andservice from smaller builders. Look closely at finish carpentry, drywall, and paint quality will tell you immediatly about their quality. Same goes for boats, fit and finish usually reflects overall quality.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:57 PM
OutlawBayB

Originally posted by dstroyed
We live in a Kimball home here in Austin.

I wired 3 rooms in my house for surround during constructioin. I told the foreman I was going to do it. No problem as long as he didn't see me and I didn't slow them down. Like that was really going to be a problem.

The question is... would I build another one? Yes, if they had the plan and location that I wanted again.
THanks for the heads up. Yeah, Alan does Alarm work & they won't let him do the work. He wants to do the security prewire, cables & phone, which he's licensed to do. Guess, we'll try & sneak by as well.

We did altho, speak with some inspectors this morning. We'll see what Kimball has to say tomorrow

Thanks for everyone's input. It's helped us out a lot, as usual.....
BOATERS ARE THE BEST!!!!

Old 01-03-2003, 09:16 PM
Registered

From a fellow boater that lives in a 52 year old house.

Welcome to Texas, you will love it.

Curtis