Notices

OT: Martial Arts

Old 01-08-2003, 08:09 AM
Charter Member #37 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I studied Kempo for five years untill a injury ended my studies.
David

C. P. B. A. Carolina Power Boat Assoc
Old 01-08-2003, 08:20 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My 11 year old daughter trains in Tang Soo Do (?)She is a green belt with a stripe. Doing very well. My own little bodygaurd!! The discipline is great for her and her confidence is soaring. Well worth the $$$.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: martial arts

Originally posted by sy goldberg
My ex couldn"t wrestle but you should see her box!
Old 01-08-2003, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I found training in .357 & .45 to be much easier on these old
bones............Much more effective also..........
Old 01-08-2003, 09:38 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Keep it up!
There is nothing better for the mind and body than studying the arts. When I was a kid with 3 older brothers you had to do something just to stay alive. We all wrestled and did gymnastics in school.
Learned Judo early out and that helped with balance etc. Then in later years 20 something studied tae kwon do, but like you lost interest. Picked up with kobo do (weaponry) and enjoyed that immensly, still do. At thirty something I was introduced to kempo and studied with a local guy who liked to combine styles and boxing.
Mostly I enjoy the discipline instilled in my mind and self confidence you may gain. Today in my forties i'm studying the 12oz curl, and have gotten pretty good at it. Seriously, looking down, I better get back to the gym.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Miller,

If you like it keep it up. However I Boxed Golden Gloves in 1996 at University of TN, We did some charity matches and not to put down the "Arts" but unless you are really and I mean really good, it will not help you in a regular fight. For the fun of it we had guys in the arts, want to spar us and they would try to kick and stuff, we would just move in close and knock the chit out of them

My experience,

Will
Old 01-08-2003, 11:46 AM
Registered

Watch a mixed martial arts competition some time (Ultimate Fighting/Pride/etc.). Where pure boxers routinely get their butts beat. Wrestling and Jiu Jitsu fighters usually dominate because of their ability to take the fight to the ground. Once on the ground a boxer is out of their element and becomes completely ineffective. Come to think of it, I don’t believe there has been a pure boxer that has owned a single title in any weight class in UFC - ever.

Hey Miller, has Hoyce ever stopped by and trained?
Old 01-08-2003, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chrker,

Would you not agree that a UFC fighter is not "Really Good" I am just giving my exp on Amature bouts total training usually (6 months or less). As for your comment about a wrestler, I agree, they can cause serious pain.

Will
Old 01-08-2003, 12:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

When faced with a dangerous situation I practice Run-Foo!
Old 01-08-2003, 05:28 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Not that we really had any actual fights, but part of the sale at the dojo was to have a potential candidate/student take off his shoes and come out onto the mats and we would just ask them to attack. We would only defend and pull the kick or punch. Some people were non believers, street fighter/boxers etc., but never did I have or see anyone get hit. Then again, we may have been real lucky!

Quick Reply: OT: Martial Arts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.