You forgot one of the most
important "treasures" the misfortunate
youth of today, could absolutely not
survive without:

CELLULAR PHONES !!!!
Old 01-13-2003, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Twin 29, Sarcasm my friend...Sarcasm. "The first generation to have it hard" I was busting up when I wrote it. Kids today think the world owes them everything and if they dont get it, they can use a few well placed Phsycological "Buzz Words" to convince us that we have done them wrong. I say bring back "THE WOODEN SPOON" that is where we went wrong. That is exactly the point in my life when I stopped talking back. Mom and I disagreed...Out came The Wooden Spoon and as far as I was concerned, she was in the right. Its not child abuse...Its discapline. Kids today need a good smack!!! If my child talks back to me...Smack!!! If they want to call the child abuse hotline, they have to make it to the phone. Thank God I dont have kids. I say we start fixing the worlds problems today. I call out to all OSO members. When your child gets home today...Smack them, even if they didnt do anything wrong...They will. And if you dont have a child of your own, Smack the kid next door, they are probably planning on smashing your pumpkin in about 9 months anyway, get em now. Together we can change the world. I should have been a teacher!
Old 01-13-2003, 03:27 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

IDRPSTF.....OMG the wooden spoon!!! LMAO!! I thought i was one of only a few kids that got the spoon!!! And once when the spoon broke during one of my moms disciplinary lessons....she got the power cord off a broken lamp!!! I tell ya....just the sight of that cord hanging ontop of the wall mounted phone(with 15' cord ext ) set us staright!!!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-13-2003, 03:34 PM
Registered

Christmas day I met my girlfriends parents. Her Mom was telling me that she used to use "The Wooden Spoon" on her girls when they where bad. The best part was that she would paint a Happy Face on the spoon first. "Because The Wooden Spoon Dont Care!!!" I was on the floor with that one. She said when she went to sell her car the buyer lifted the back seat and found 38 Woodn Spoons with happy faces. It was the only place the gilrs could hide them. Funny stuff. She scares me a little!
My Mom drilled (Yes Mom knows how to drill) holes in her spoon "So your cheeks squeeze through"! Thats just wrong!
Old 01-13-2003, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mom used the wooden spoon with the hole in the middle....That did wonders on my smart-ass. Remember those???
-----------------

One instance that really got me torqued: We were in the grocery store not too long ago and in line in front of us was this obviously stressed-out mom with two snott-nosed whiney kids who wanted everything and had their hands in all they could(even others things). After a stern talking to from mom with the threat of being on "restriction" for the rest of the afternoon, the little bastard yells back that he's going to call the cops on her and she can't do that."

I'd be like, want to bet I can't do that!

I know if it was me I would have been silenced really quick.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IDRPSTF, You beet me to it. Gotta be quick around here.
Old 01-13-2003, 04:25 PM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys and your wooden spoons, hell my mom used whatever happened to be closest and would inflict the most pain.

I see that little princess stirred up a little hostility with more than just me. I don't feel so bad anymore for ragging on her.

The sad part to me is that I too would not want to take away the conveniences that are afforded ourselves and our children, but few of them have learned to appreciate them as we have been made to. I can only speak for myself, but I only know through stories of my parents hardships, but also know that I respect them far more than do a lot of todays youth. It truly is sad. As far as respect, I am definetly with you guys on that. I feel as you grow older you earn that respect, and I to respect my elders.

As far as dress or what have you, I could care less. I know for one that the adults when I was growing up, weren't to excited about my bell bottoms or long hair. To each his own. My kid can have purple hair and dress as a goth as long as his behavior is one of respect. Clothes don't make the person, respect and integrity most certainly do.

Oh and I'm in the 40 crowd .

Les
Old 01-13-2003, 07:18 PM
Allan4

mcollinstn......well put.

I was a "good kid" who did some crazy stuff, so I got the paddle, belt, soaped mouth....etc....and it worked!!! I deserved it each time, but if A parent was to try this today he/she would be ostrisized, or even worse, arrested. I feel that the parents are to take much of the blame. Sure the kids acted poorly, but with no one to hold them accountable, what repercussion is the deterent. With no deterent, it is easier to act like a jackass than to act respectful. With no deterent, what lessons are being taught? That blame lies on authorty figures. It doesn't stop there either, I think society in general has a poor self accountability problem, doesn't seem like too big of a question as to how that has occured. Kids, of any generation, were not born disrespectful, it has been learned....someone taught them/let them get away with it.

Sorry, trying to keep it light!! I'm gonna go see how far I can ride a wheelie on my Redline dirtbike!!!.......ahhh those were the days!!

Old 01-13-2003, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys when I wrote that I didn’t mean that my generation has it the worse than you guys but what I was saying is that my generation has problems also there just different than your. Most of the people my age know what the wooden spoon is (I know my mom broke a few on my brother and mine hind end). My brothers and my friends’ call my parents Mr. and Mrs. C. All of my friends have respect for others. We do not go out and egg houses, smash pumpkins, steal crud, or vandalize things. Thank you Allen4 for pointing out that it is not just the kids’ fault that they have zero respect because many parents fail their jobs as parents. (Keep in mind that I am not telling you all that you are all bad parents) By the way I usually dress in a pair of nice jeans that arent low rise (because for thoes of you who dont ride horses it is impossible to ride in low rise jeans) a button up shirt/ turtle neck/sweateror a regular T-shirt. All of my outfets I wouldn't be ashamed at all to wear infront of any of ny grand parents.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:27 PM
Registered

Okey Little Princess, your off the hook for now!
SMACK all the other kids except her tonight!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: OT: Back in my day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.