Notices

Ot. This Sucks

Old 01-13-2003, 10:23 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Hang in there. We are all here to help you in any way.
I am sorry to hear of your loss....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 01-13-2003, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

I was close to my grandfather. My widowed grandfather lived alone. He was getting older and more frail. My grandmother had died 3 years prior and he missed her badly. He still came to the shop three days a week and brought donuts most of the time.

I had been really busy for a couple of weeks with a tricky machine design and had not been spending much time with him when he came to the shop.

He came in one day with a .32 pistol and asked one of the guys if they could clean it for him. I told him I would be happy to do it for him - he quickly said No that Rob would do it for him. He left the gun with Rob, but I had to send Rob out of town to troubleshoot a customer's product line. I remembered the gun and went ahead and cleaned it myself. I wondered what the gun was for - it was just a cheap old no-name .32...

A few days later he told me he was lonely and asked if I would like to bring the kids to eat dinner with him that night. I knew my wife had plans already so I told him maybe next week.

The next morning he did not come in to the shop and it was his normal day. I called his house to check on him but there was no answer. I knew Daddy was on that side of town at the other office so I called him to see if he was free to check on him. He said he could go right then.

I got a weird feeling and took off myself. You guys probably can figure out the rest. (he had shot himself with the .32)

Two years later, I was driving a group to a football game. Mom and Dad were in the van along with my wife and another couple. There were 2 routes to the stadium and Mom suggested we circle around the city to come in the backside of the stadium. I disagreed and chose to go another route to Lebanon Rd and then to the stadium. Mom said "I really think we'd be better off the other way". Once again, I disagreed. 4 miles later, in a section of roadway where the opposing lanes are separated by a narrow and treacherous median, a girl in the oncoming lane was applying eye makeup at 70mph. She lost control of her car and went off the right side of the roadway. She overcorrected and shot left across the median, became airborne, and crashed through the windshield of my van. Mom and Dad were killed.

My friend, you have a lot on you right now, with the death of your grandfather and the closing of your business...

I don't have the words to make you feel better, and the truth is that no words CAN make you feel better. I know from my experiences that guilt and second-guessing are natural reactions but do nothing to assist the grieving and healing processes.

I can only tell you that my thoughts and prayers are with you and I certainly hope that continued tragic events will stop long enough for you to emotionally work through the events of last week.

Best of wishes, brother.

M
Old 01-13-2003, 10:52 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pat,
Don't ever wish it were you .Losing a parent or grand parent is never easy but like it or not it's the normal progression of life. For anyone to lose a child or grandchild is far worse , because there is absolutely no justifacation for it...it's just not right!
I've seen two couples lose kids , one to cancer and another od'ed
and that is REALLY cruel. If you got kids...live for them. Remember , maybe you'll be somebody's grandfather someday

Cal (mopower)
Old 01-14-2003, 12:55 PM
Allan4

Mcollinstn.......geeeezz, sounds like you need a pat on the back as well chief.............Well done........ALLAN

Old 01-14-2003, 01:03 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Very sorry to hear of this AA.
My deepest condolences.
Brian
Old 01-14-2003, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear of your loss. just remember its those things that hurt us the most,make us the strongest. just be thankful for all the good times you had with your grandfather, many people never even get that chance. keep your head up!
Old 01-14-2003, 04:02 PM
Registered

My personal opionion, forget that " it could be worse" because this is prolly the hardest time you've ever gone through a man loosing his father is the worst. just try to remember he will allways be with you and watching over. remember only the good.
stay strong, best wishes.
Martin.

Last edited by JUST ONCE; 01-14-2003 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:08 PM
Registered

Sorry for your losses. I know how that feels, not with my father but with a friend who was 17. The next few weeks will suck, then it gradually gets better, then every once in a while something will trigger it off and it will feel just like it does now for a few hours.