Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Poker Runs. What attracts you?... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/41084-poker-runs-what-attracts-you.html)

Reckless32 01-14-2003 09:06 PM

Poker Runs. What attracts you?...

Got into a discussion earlier this evening about what exactly attracts folks to a particular poker run. We're in the early stages of putting together our 2003 poker run in August and want to continually grow in size and production as each year goes by.

Is it the prize money/item awarded winning hands?
Is it the challenging course to be run?
Is it the party/s associated with the run?
Is it the registration fee being affordable with travel costs?
Is it the goodies you get as part of the above?
What distance would you travel?

Well, you get my drift on what I'm asking. Right now we'll (Little Creek Ragatta/Hampton Roads Powerboat Association) have two party's with bands, prizes, long varying waters to run, historic sights along the way, and lots of local media coverage to name a few. Last year price was $75, this year it's $150 with better prizes and better party's (as in plural). The kicker is proceeds go to St Judes Children's Research Hospital an honorable cause.

As the time goes by I'll be putting out more details as we put them together, so I/we'll welcome your input and stay tuned for more info....

little princess 01-14-2003 09:33 PM

it's knowing that other awsome boats will be there

rbtnt 01-14-2003 09:40 PM

dockage to see the boats
120 - 140 mile run
less than 150 boats
activities on two nights
Cards stops that you can get in and out of, without waiting in line for a long time.

VelocityMike 01-14-2003 09:51 PM

I would have to say getting to go to new places and boat in diffrent areas. We go to Sarasota every year for the past three years now and love it. Its warm and sunny and you get to see some awesome boats. I love to travel so I guess its right up my alley.

little princess 01-14-2003 09:59 PM

Getting to meet more of all you wonderful OSO people

ChrisK 01-14-2003 10:25 PM

I would say a combination of reasonablr cost and entertainment value. I have gone to the run in sarasota and destin, love them both. But would say the destin run is better for a few reasons. It cost the same to enter both (around $600 a boat) but the destin run gave out better prizes (two custom bikes plus more).. its all about precieved value. If your run is less expensive, and you have a great party(or 2) then people will like that.. you dont HAVE to give out great prizes. As we all know boaters just want a reason to party for the most part and talk boats.... Give them a good reason to do that, and your already winning.

Reckless32 01-14-2003 10:39 PM

"Bang for the buck" and "awesome boats" is exactly what we're trying to accomplish. The area's I listed above only touch on the "typical" things one looks for in an event. I know there's also logistics of meetings, accomodation info, ramping info, etc. etc. that makes an event "easy" to attend. Does having helo pictures taken or video's sway you one way or another?...

ChrisK 01-14-2003 11:14 PM

That would not sway me from going to a run or not. I have never seen a picture or video from one yet!...(ok so i have during dinner at sarasota, but thats all)

kitten 01-14-2003 11:28 PM

Nice bunch of people! (www.opbafl.org) St Petersburg, FL

WILDTHING TAZ 01-14-2003 11:28 PM

GOOD QUESTION.I RUN APPROX 12-15 RUNS A YEAR.I ALWAYS FIND MYSELF AT THE SAME 6-7 EACH YEAR.THAT 6-7 THAT I LIKE THE MOST HAVE ENTRY FEE'S OF 150-275 DOLLARS.APPROX 75-150 BOATS,80-100 MILE RUN,1000-5000 CASH FIRST PLACE MONEY,SPONSOR GIVE AWAYS,GREAT BOATS,SUPPER PEOPLE.I FEEL THE BANG FOR THE BUCK MUST BE THEIR.AFTER ALL FOR ME IT CANT BE THE MONEY.I HAVE NOT WON BUT ONLY 100.00 IN 3 YEARS.(SOONER OR LATER I MIGHT WIN A TANK OF GAS)I LOOP THE US 2 TIMES A YEAR AND SEE WHAT WORKS & WHAT DOESN"T.MOST OF ALL THE RUN MUST BE ORGINIZED WELL. NOBODY LIKES BULL****.WELL PLANED RUNS HAVE ALL THE BOATS THEY NEED FOR A GOOD TIME.:cool: :p :p RON BENDER

cigarette1 01-14-2003 11:56 PM

Originally posted by little princess
it's knowing that other awsome boats will be there
Little Princess got it right.

That's the only thing I look forward to. All the rest is iceing.

:cool:

PhantomChaos 01-15-2003 01:02 AM

Originally posted by WILDTHING TAZ
GOOD QUESTION.I RUN APPROX 12-15 RUNS A YEAR.I ALWAYS FIND MYSELF AT THE SAME 6-7 EACH YEAR.THAT 6-7 THAT I LIKE THE MOST HAVE ENTRY FEE'S OF 150-275 DOLLARS.APPROX 75-150 BOATS,80-100 MILE RUN,1000-5000 CASH FIRST PLACE MONEY,SPONSOR GIVE AWAYS,GREAT BOATS,SUPPER PEOPLE.I FEEL THE BANG FOR THE BUCK MUST BE THEIR.AFTER ALL FOR ME IT CANT BE THE MONEY.I HAVE NOT WON BUT ONLY 100.00 IN 3 YEARS.(SOONER OR LATER I MIGHT WIN A TANK OF GAS)I LOOP THE US 2 TIMES A YEAR AND SEE WHAT WORKS & WHAT DOESN"T.MOST OF ALL THE RUN MUST BE ORGINIZED WELL. NOBODY LIKES BULL****.WELL PLANED RUNS HAVE ALL THE BOATS THEY NEED FOR A GOOD TIME.:cool: :p :p RON BENDER

Do SCOPE in SoCal.....you won't soon forget it. :D :D :D :D

gmhdfan 01-15-2003 01:21 AM

Originally posted by cigarette1
Little Princess got it right.

That's the only thing I look forward to. All the rest is fluff.

:cool:

Yep, and the people make it a great time no matter where it is. Gotta love the eyecandy under the hatches.:) :cool:

Shanghied Again 01-15-2003 05:06 AM

1) We go to a lot of Poker Runs, We love the thrill of the run, getting together at the start with 60 to 180 boats all running at the same time is a rush.
2) Getting together with all your boating friends (Thats why I love Summer)
3) Seeing all the hardware
4) Last just having the best time of your life!:D
www.NJPPC.com

Cignificant 01-15-2003 07:40 AM

Good topic, Rickster!

On the Helicopter issue, my "planning committee" decided it is well worth the expense to have the chopper. That's one reason we had to raise our entry fee by $25 this year. (Talk to me at the OSO gathering and I'll tell you what it cost us last year!!)

1) Commaderie (sp) would have to be first on my list.
2) I enjoy "staging" areas so you can look at all the boats.
3) As TAZ mentioned, "RUN MUST BE ORGANIZED WELL. NOBODY LIKES BULL****"
4) Affordability definitely comes into play - getting a good value for the dollars spent.

Shane 01-15-2003 09:01 AM

"Bang for teh buck" is HUGE! I have been to a lot of different events and some you just don't seem to get anything for your money. Certainly the commrraderie is HUGE! That is why I like NJPPC. Relatively inexpensive, good venues, great people and lots of fun! Some may have big names or big cities, but you don't get much for the money. I would have loved to have attended last years Toys For Tots run but couldn't at the last minute. Giving something back is always a plus. Thanks for being concerned enough to ask.

audacity 01-15-2003 09:07 AM

the people!!!

HebertNecessity 01-15-2003 09:20 AM

Meeting great people, Parties, well organized, and bring the girls, face it most of us have a signifigant other and they enjoy it if they have friends to talk to while we oggle boats, face it my wife can't take much discussion about engines drives and rigging. She rather talk travel, hotels, parties, etc.. Alot of Poker Runs I've seen has 4-1 guys, what up with that. Give a talent scout award(haha)

Reckless32 01-15-2003 09:29 AM

These are great perspectives and I hope others who are organizing runs are reading these as well.

We (HRPA) took over the fledgling poker run portion of the Little Creek Regatta which originally started as a sailing event. The run was added as an after-thought and drew maybe 10-12 boats. Last year we had 51 boats with 39 being performance (we have two run classes, cruiser/performance). That was without much fanfare and just word of mouth. This year we're working hard to get the word out about what a great venue we have for a great varied water run.

Last year we learned some things looked good on paper but not in practice and others turned out great. But as a result of this event our club memebership grew by 25% and post-event surveys overwhelmingly were happy and excited about it's future potential. This year will be better, and the next even more, and so on. That's essentially our approach to this. The Hampton Roads Powerboat Association wants a run that both pleases the participants, being participants ourselves, and to do the honorable thing of generating money for a good cause and enhancing the powerboating reputation in our region.

What are your opinions on party format? Ours is outdoors with multiple tents....
Live band or DJ?
Big sha-doo about food or basic party faire?
Margarita shack with beer trucks or just beer and soda's?
Display booths for dealers/vendor's to display boating wares?
multiple prizes for 3rd, 4th, 5th best hands?

What am I missing?....

dockrocker 01-15-2003 09:41 AM

OK, time for the newbie to chime in! I'll admit it, I've never participated in a Poker Run; in fact, I've never been to one, for various reasons. That being said, here's some of the things I'd be looking for...
  • Affordable - I love the sight of big iron as much as the next guy, but looking at runs like SOTW, with entry fees in the thousands of dollars, it's just not going to happen. I realize that a couple grand is pocket change to a lot of guys, but for the "average joe" like me and my friends, that is a substantial piece of the yearly boat budget.
  • A route that is fun, but not a "white knuckle" special. Airing the boat out is fun for a while, but if Mama wanted to fly for 2 hours straight, she'd take a plane. And if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy ;)
  • Like TAZ said and Troutly elaborated on - organization, especially for the new kids on the block.
  • Kind of related to several factors above, but I'm looking for a run that is open to the little guy. Water that is fun for a 26'-29' boat is maybe boring for a 35'er - maybe two routes is the answer?
  • Prizes are not so important; if the prizes cover the entrance fee and gas, great. I figure my chances of winning aren't that great anyhow, I'd rather have a reasonable entrance fee than a 1 in 150 chance at $10K or something like that.
  • Parties don't need to be fancy - roast pig and cold beer is OK by me ;) No need for lobster tail and caviar - hell, I don't know which fork to use anyhow :D
  • Troutly and others made a great point - SAFETY. I have zero desire to be on the lake with the powerdrinkers and other assorted Darwin candidates, let alone to pay for the privilege. I enjoy a boat soda as much as anyone, but only after the boat is tied up for the night.
  • Most of the $$ going to charity

I guess that about covers it for me!

Reckless32 01-15-2003 10:12 AM

Dockrocker I'm with ya man. Our Chesapeake Bay Poker run encompasses one long open ocean run down the resort beach ocean front and back, then into an inland body of water, back out to the inside of the Chesbay, down the Elizabeth River and back to the Little Creek Harbor. There are six stops (last card pulled at the party) and approx. 97 miles to the run. We also have a course-B in case the ocean leg is forecast ugly that day. During the captains meeting I stress IT'S NOT A RACE and that there's plenty of room for some fast running on the first two legs with plenty of room to swing wide from other more casual types. By then the adrenaline gets used up and folks settle down to enjoy the many sights we have for the rest of the run. SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT to it's success and reputation.

We're relatively cheap ($150 includes lunch stop and party entrance for two for two party's) and yes, we have two classes runnning two separate courses (cruisers or smaller family boats and the performance types). The cruisers/smaller boats runs a shorter less aggressive route more on inland waters.

Proceeds got to the St. Judes Children Research Hospital for cancer and no-one pockets funds in any way. During the day for those family/friends who choose not to ride, we have planned activities at the sight of the party where demonstrations, kids games, and other "family" type activities will keep'em interested awaiting our return. We'll have a couple of hours to kill afterwards before the official post-run party starts but there will be a Margarita tiki-bar setup with steel drums to entertain or you could just plain hang out at the docks. There are plenty of quality ramps to use in the area and a boatel/marina will be offering free lifts in/out with parking for those who choose to use it. That's also where our lunch stop will be.

If you trailer, there is a large parking lot area to park your rigs adjacent to the party grounds. There is also "cheap" slip fees at an adjacent marina for those who choose to sleep on their boats vice the hotel.

I/we feel possibly our greatest challenge is to coordinate the logistics of accomodating folks aside from the party/runs. My/our primary focus is to make for an exceptional run and very social set of party's to ensure the powerboat enthusiast comes away wanting to come back. We have prizes, but I feel that's secondary to the boating experience.

Since we're early in our planning phase for this coming event, I want to survey this board (as well as invite) for points near to our collective hearts to make this thing continue to get better.

Currently our party format is outdoors with either two different bands or DJ first night and popular band the second. Food is typically BBQ picnic style with soda's and a beer truck for beverage. The Sailboat regatta folks (did I mention a big regatta is happening at the same time?) will also be conducting silent auctions which the ladies like to participate in. We're also working on dealers/vendors to setup booths displaying their wares boatshow style to add flavor to both evenings.

Does this sound like anything remotely close to what would make for a fun event?...

LakeRacer 01-15-2003 10:17 AM

I'm reading!

I asked for some suggestions in the Extreme Boats Press Release thread...but I'm happy that you guys are responding here. These give me more ideas for our planned poker runs this year. We are putting together a schedule.

TAZ has been to our poker runs at Havasu and tells me that we are doing it right. My biggest concern is what others are doing in different parts of the country. It seems that there isn't much difference after all.

What I'm getting out of this thread is:
1) Affordability
2) Organization
3) Safety
4) FUN FUN FUN

Not necessarily in that order. Thanks for all of the suggestions and thank you Reckless288 for starting this thread

Clay Washington 01-15-2003 10:20 AM

Poker Run = Party on the Lake

I live in Austin, Texas and I belong to the Lake Travis Powerboat Association. We have 5 to 6 Poker Runs each summer.

The ONLY reason that I participate in the Poker Runs is for the party. To me a Poker Run is simply an excuse to party on the lake with some old friends and a chance to meet and make new friends. The big, fast boats are nice, but the PEOPLE are nicer.

The Poker Run entry fee should be low enough so people can attend, but high enough to limit the number of boaters. There is no "magic number" because each Poker Run has its own personality. The Texoma Poker Run (Labor Day weekend on Lake Texoma, Texas) has an entry fee of $500, but they always get 200+ boats! :eek:

The Lake Travis Poker Run entry fee is $50 (if you are a member), and we usually have between 30 and 60 boats. It is always well organized and has the same people attend each time. Although Sheryl and I have the smallest boat in the fleet (22-feet), we are always treated like we have a 42-foot Fountain!

Poker Runs should be safe and fun. Let's party! :D

Caincando1 01-15-2003 10:23 AM

Great topic!
Myself and someother OSO members are in the process of organizing a Poker run on Lake Pepin this summer. We are looking at $75 entry fee (limited to about 65 boats) that includes a shirt or two. An 80 mile run including a lunch stop. About $500 for first prize and smaller onces after that and sponcer prizes. We are very safety concious in our rules. And we are planning on having a hog roast and maybe music afterward. I personaly think this sounds like a good formula for the "average joe" like us to have a great day on the water.

Brian

Brian

Fountain38 01-15-2003 10:29 AM

I like the thrill of the run, the companionship of other boaters, the eye candy:D , and ole, I forgot the boats.;)

Reckless32 01-15-2003 10:41 AM

I've sent this post to my other committee members so they could see the various kinds of perspectives first hand so I don't have to relay them second hand.

If you're lucky enough to be involved in the planning of these great events please take note of what the OSO members (i.e. participants) are expressing here. If you walk away with these points in your pocket your own events will only be the better for it...

BryanTuvell 01-15-2003 02:29 PM

I think the HRPA sponsored event went very well, the long run was awesome and that kept the boats spread out, the beach goers surely loved the show.
Our waters has it all, Ocean, Bay and rivers! No topping that combination to show your stuff....
You and the other folks did a great job of organizing the event. I agree with the $150 this year vice $75, especially if lunch is included. What is the cost for my riders this year? They will want a bag with a shirt, or a shirt at a minimum?
I have a boat full of friends this year and I am encouraging more guys to bring their boats.
No complaints here, therefore no suggestions on improving it.
Well, maybe one thing, have one of the volunteers be ready with the cards when we arrive at the after run gig. I liked getting all the cards at the party, it eliminates cheating.
Bryan

5 poker runs in 2002 and didn't win a damn thing... it sure was fun though!

Erin 01-15-2003 02:48 PM

poker runs

what about a poker run to freeport bahamas. .65 miles .a first prize of about $4000. plus some extras what about that,fellas. some fine party and conch fritters in freeport.:D :fish: :confused:

smokinatcig 01-15-2003 04:06 PM

Bahamas crossing, I love when you get half way there and look all around and see no land. Then when you get there and realize that I just conquered the Bermuda Triangle. I would love to put another Triangle feather in my cap.

Favorite part about Poker Runs is running with all the boats in formation.

Cignificant 01-15-2003 04:24 PM

Rick, my only suggestion about your Poker Run is an item that has already been mentioned - the "lag" time Saturday afternoon between finishing the last stop and the start of the "official" party. However, I also know that blow-boaters are involved so we always have to wait for them.;) If you're going to be having the steel drums that should take care of that.

I think you'd be safe with a DJ Friday and a live band Saturday. We had a live band for the first time last year and got a lot of very positive comments.

To anyone organizing one of these events - what are you doing about insurance? Who do you work with? Cost?

My final comment is about charities. Since November I've been trying to find a local charity to develop a long term relationship with. They either do not return phone calls, or they just want the "check" without putting forth any effort. Maybe I've just been working with the wrong ones, but so far it has been discouraging. I'm tracking a new "lead" now - maybe it will pan out. When I started this I thought they'd be beating down the doors to be helpful.

Cignificant 01-15-2003 04:25 PM

This is a good thread to hit 1000 on...

Cignificant 01-15-2003 04:26 PM

Cool, I got that milestone behind me...

florida gator 01-15-2003 04:26 PM

How difficult are these for the smaller boats? Under 25' single sb engine.

BAJA WILL 01-15-2003 04:30 PM

I attend a few Poker runs a year, across SC,NC, and VA. I really look for bang for the buck. I could care less about a nice dinner, or prizes ( $ to cover gas and enty fee would do). I would rather have a low entry fee. Also as for Bands vs DJ, have a band early on and then do a DJ for late night.

My favorite part is meeting new people and socializing.;)

Oh, it has to be low hassle also, docks, ramps, all need to be easy to use and find.

Will:D

Ike 01-15-2003 05:04 PM

The women!:drool: :drool:

Erin 01-16-2003 12:20 AM

poker run

is the new casino in port lucaya open yet.we could pull up in our boats hit the casino win some bucks and then party all night.who will get us pass custom officials.the race in october in freeport had 40 + boats and the weather and people were fun:D :D :cool: :p .lets do it again;) :cool: :rolleyes:

Pete B 01-16-2003 06:32 AM

some have mentioned some poker runs for the smaller boat , ive run several in a 24ft Reindl "Bat Boat" with sb power and had a blast, and kept up with the larger powered boats as well, if there is enough intrest in leasing the boats at a specific poker run, he will deliver.

WickedWon 01-16-2003 09:39 AM

Good thread, all of the organizers are lurking, and thats good.

Run length around 100 miles, this is mostly for the women, ya want the day to end before the fun and energy does, especially if it's choppy. Also gets rid of the fueling headaches.

Food, don't waste money on "impressive fare" thats not done well, ya gotta feed a bunch of people at one time it's not expected to be fine dining, keep it good and basic.

Awards and prizes, don't get carried away, sometimes these ceremonies drag on forever.

I agree with many of the points made up top, just had to add a couple more. JD

LEOPAJM 01-16-2003 09:58 AM

If Mr. Dietz says we gottago then I go ..... Period !!!!! Got in trouble last year with Cleveland ?!?!?! Hey some of my ideas work ???? Anyway, some of these runs need to bring something fresh to the table soon !!! It seems that there are way too many runs these days fighting for you boating dollars !!!! Guys that are out there running these things ..... keep the fun in 'em and the politics and BS out and you'll be OK .... Remember MOCA ?????

JM

BTW .... Skip the band on Saturday nite ... nobody has anything left for them ..... Unless of coarse it's LEOPA !!!!!

Reckless32 01-16-2003 10:05 AM

florida gator
You asked about the smaller boats. During the captains meeting the night before I brief "I'T'S NOT A RACE". On the big water legs (meaning space) there's room for the adrenaline junkies to get that go-fast rush out of their system prior to entering the inner bay/river portions of the run. The other thing I brief is to encourage "formation" running, in other words staying relatively close by so others can enjoy watching other boats running and get great keepsake shots, is at each stop we all regroup so we don't get strung out and to keep a timeline going (not too slow, but yet not too fast) which is courteous to volunteers manning the stops. That being said, the 5th and 6th stop ended up being every man for himself...:eek:

Also, depending on your size/configuration boat, we have a second run going simultaneously grouping cruisers and small family type powerboats that want to average 30mph vice our 55mph with a shorter less aggressive course with no open ocean legs. They remain inside the bay and local rivers. So we have a piece of the pie for everyone and let's not forget the other half of the event, the large sailboat regatta which is an awesome sight to go by...:)

Cig, we noted that lag time last year during our post-event debriefing and this year we're setting up a tiki-bar at the far side of the marina to serve margaritas and other beverages along with a steel drum band. We're also working real hard to increase our dock slip availability for simply hanging out on the docks. Finally, the gate will open a little sooner to the party area. This will hopefully make the immediate time after finishing festive and to allow for stories made during the run to be told. That being said, there are a majority who go back to trailer their boats or simply to shower and change for the evening festivities. BTW, as we did last year, we'll have a place to park the trucks/trailers adjacent to the party for those who so choose to do so...

Here's a question. Last year we used poker chips at each stop vice cards then pulled cards at the party. We had folks who broke down or had to bail out of the course early but our philosophy was you paid for a hand and you got it if you showed at the party. After all, the point was to generate funds for charity and have a fun social event. Not to mention logistically it was easier than dealing with the whole card thing at the stops i.e. putting in envelopes etc. and to prevent cheating.
This year we're thinking of going back to the card thing but want to ensure cheating doesn't become a problem. What is a good system for doing that and what are your thoughts on the chip idea....