Old 01-17-2003, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Semper Fi you hit the nail on the head.

gmhdfan- them must be some really good drugs
Old 01-17-2003, 07:01 PM
Registered

gmhdfan has a valid point. Probably 97% of diesel buyers never tow enough or keep their trucks long enough to justify all the added expense of maintaining them. Sure if you're going to consistantly drag around heavy loads and/or keep a truck for 250,000+ miles a diesel is tough to beat. How many really do this? very few i'd bet. My 97 454 burb had 200,000 on it when I sold it and it still didn't burn any oil and had the original tranny in it.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

We still use a 1990 F-Super Duty Dually Flatbed (12,000 lb GVWR)with a pre-PS Navistar 7.3
It ain't fast, but the motor has 310,000 on it and runs great. One injector pump while still under warranty (at about 30,000 miles).

Two clutches (and nearing the next one), Second transmission (5-speed manual), and miscellaneous brakes and a clutch master cylinder. Plus an alternator, A/C compressor, belts, brakes, tires, batteries, and maint items. Replaced one short section of exhaust pipe and the muffler. Bench seat is trashed. Motor starts and pulls like new.

If you plan to keep a work truck and do medium-to-heavy hauling, then I'm convinced diesel is the only way to fly.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I raced a 4 door d-max auto 4x4 with my 7.3 , the chevy was stock and I have a very mild hypertech programmer and I pulled him until 60 and then he pulled in front about his back bumper to my front so, an honest answer, I got beat , but with a load it is totally the opposite
Old 01-17-2003, 08:36 PM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by outlawinil
Semper Fi you hit the nail on the head.

gmhdfan- them must be some really good drugs
No better than the Doc could write for you But I did spend a lot of time in the 80's around South Fla. so there might be some truth to that. Sorry I got home so late but I couldn't find enough extension cords to PLUG all my trucks in. It's going to be cold tonight here in Fla. and I want the trucks to start in the AM. OK now I own a TOW TRUCK co. so I think I know a little bit about the subject. We tow mostly HEAVY EQUIPMENT which the powerjoke motors can't haul. Now first off International builds the motor not Ford. Ford changes the ECM and fuel management so you really just have a chipped up International motor. I just sold the last V8 truck and only have 6 cylinders now. (other than the F450 and F350 PSD) We put 300-400K miles on the six bangers with good luck. The V8"s just don't hold up. I don't know about the rest of the country but but we find a fair amount of water in the fuel and water will kill a injector real fast and it just seems like we have changed a far amount of injectors in the V8's. And I really hate the smell of the stink motors when they are not making me money. And how do you guys fill up without smelling like fuel for an hour. I'm sorry I am just into speed and a diesel motor is just punishment to me. Now I really find it hard to believe guys with go fast boats don't have gas money. Yea, the big block does pass everything but the gas station. But it does PASS things when I want to!! Now let's be honest how many of you guys really put THAT many miles on you truck before you trade it in for a new one. Seems to me like after the 2nd smoked tranny they unload them for a new truck anyway. I am not going to change anyones minds that are dead set on a PSD. Anymore than I could get Catman to go to church or vote for Bush. But for you guys on the fence, your smart guys or you wouldn't be on this board in the first place. This is not a poor mans sport. So do the math for yourselfs, the cost of a diesel will BUY a lot of regular gas. Now add into the extra costs per gallon of diesel (and don't get me started on why diesel costs more than Super Unlimited here's a hint TAXES) and I don't think your cost savings are really that much. Now IMHO I think it is easier to sell a used gas truck than a used stink motor. But what do I know I might be having a flashback from the 70's.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:49 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Watch it with the Big Block bashing......Look under you're engine hatches............
Old 01-17-2003, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I want to go back to the comparison of the 2 trucks.......

They would both have 3.73 gears.....but the Chevy had 245's vs. the ford with 285's?

Tell me what's wrong with that picture. Put the same time on them then race. Not that racing is where the 6.0 PSD Ford will smack down on the Chevy, but you take that extra 1-1.5 inches in height in tire off the Ford or offset the diference with gears and I'd take the 6.0 PSD any day I bet the effective gearing would be about like a 3.73 to a 3.31 or more.

::EDIT::

Ok, it's getting late. I read it backwards but liquid asset is right. OEM SD's come with 265's. And the Chevy comes with 245's. That's still about 1.25 inches smaller in size on the Chevy so all else equal, I would expect the one with 245's to come out of the hole a little quicker. Either way, tow with them.

Last edited by SeaRay Jim; 01-17-2003 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not many fords have 245's they normally have 265/75/16, and chevy normally 245/75/16 are these used or new?
Old 01-17-2003, 10:40 PM
Registered

gmhdfan--Next your going to tell us semi trucks should have 454 gassers in them. You say it's not a poor man's sport and in the same sentence your worried about the extra cost of diesel? Here in the midwest where it was -4 last night, 89 octane is $1.379 and diesel at the same station is $1.349 our math is different than yours.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:31 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here in Fla it's .10-.20 more per gal for diesel and always more than super unleaded. Like I said Taxes!! From Orlando we can make it to Jax. and put enough fuel to get in to Ga. to fill up because its so much cheaper. Same with coming back, we fill up before we get into Fla. We have a Kenworth that we pull a drop deck or landoll, Freightliner single axle 20 ton wrecker (should have got a twin axle but this one was an automatic trans), and a twin axle Freightliner Industrial roll back. None of which have gas motors because we are talking about TRUCKS. We use a F350 PSD crew cab dually to pull a 4 car wallymo trailer and use my personal big block Chevy dually to pull the trailer back after we smoke the ford tranny. (More than once) And a F450 PSD wheel lift with a dynamic self loading wrecker (Fords only because of contracts with the local Ford dealers) And 6 International rollbacks with 6 bangers. A gas Chevy rollback standered trans. and Chevy wrecker with a 4L80E trans. Now the Chevys DON"T get good MPG but are fun to drive and dependable!!! And with all that hardware I still end up using my 4X4 97 Suburban or my wifes 01 4X4 Suburban to tow the toys around. Because we can put our twins in the third seat with the TV and have some peace up front. Now I have a real problem paying more for Diesel than super unleaded so thats why I am so anti diesel for my personal trucks. All my toys have big blocks, V-drive, Jet drive DayCruiser, 70 454 SS Chevelle, a LS6 waiting to go in my 67 GTO conv. after the Pontiac motor expires, and one little #'s matching 68 327/350hp Corvette conv. And a few extra 454's on engine stands waiting around for spares. So yes I am a GM fan. And the HD fan comes from having a swing arm Shovelhead chopper and a hardtail shovelhead. Building a 65 panhead Dresser to add to the collection. But truth be have it most of my toys have taken a back seat to my 6 yr old twin girls one of which broke her arm last week on the monkey bars at school. So no drugs, smoke or mirrors I'll take a big block Chevy motor over a stink motor anyday. And those are the facts. They make a ass for every seat now you know what my ass is sitting on. It's your money spend it anyway you want. Just trying to give my insight into where I am coming from. I have done the math for myself and I'm happy with the way I went.

Quick Reply: Duramax wins!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.