Like Tree0Likes

O.T.: Police Harassment

Old 01-21-2003, 10:05 AM
Registered

srobak,

Could not have said it better. Pretty much the same way in MD. If your car needs any kind of repair order I can keep it from being on the road. Also same with the glove box, we call it the Lunge, Grasp and Reach clause, no search warrant needed at that immediate time.

My rule of thumb is if you are nice, I'm nice.

and of course.......

If you are an ass, well, sorry but I am as well.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:59 PM
srpbaer

Srobak, You best stay in your state. In tennessee you would be the one in the hot seat for overstepping your rights as a law enforcement officer. Here the driver would own your house before this issue was done. I have decades of experience, mainly in Miami and you guys up north are just too sure of your power. The constution is nation wide and protects all the people. Keep this in mind.

Old 01-21-2003, 10:40 PM
Registered

My Boats: Formula FASTech 382 Sunseeker Apache 45

Quote:
Originally posted by bucky
Thats just great, while you are wasting their time and my money, maybe someone is breaking into YOUR house and putting your family at risk. No, I am not in law enforcement and yes when I was 16 I burned rubber and smoked illegal things ("60s") but I grew up and became a citizen. Walk a mile in someones shoes before you condemn them. Just my opinion, our freedoms say you are welcome to yours.
I agree. Playing games and wasting their time is...........well, wrong.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:30 AM
Registered

My Boats: Fast boats, Harleys

Typical cop.
Old 01-22-2003, 03:18 PM
Registered

My Boats: Boats, Bikes, Cars

Old 01-22-2003, 03:20 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1997/2010 Spectre Catamaran w/ twin 250XS Sports

Quote:
Originally posted by srobak
Battle Cry>
If you try to run the game above on a cop in Indiana - we WILL find a way to completely toss your car, even if it has to be impounded. Burnt out tail light, license plate light, expired/improper registration stickers (ie: in the wrong places on the plate - you would be amazed at the percentage of this), unsafe treadwear, any number of safety violations... *any* reason that by the letter of the law allows me to stop that car from being driven on the road.
If you want to be a smartass and disrespect me, then you will get what you deserve and it WILL be within the constraints of the law.

You have demonstrated that you don't know what "the constraints of the law" are. This sounds like typical "I'm the cop, and I'm in charge" mentality.

To begin with, your legislature can pass laws that give you the power to search every motorist's underwear on a traffic stop, but that will not pass a constitutional challenge in court. The U.S. Constitution ALWAYS controls where state laws violate its protections.

I would go back and read the CONSTITUTIONAL law on protective searches if I were you, before some sleazy, slimey, bottom feeding lawyer hands you your A$$ in court.

And there ended the lesson. uppy:
Old 01-22-2003, 03:27 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: Chris Craft Stinger 222

I dont know what these people who claim to be "harrassed" are doing but thats just it.....they must be doing something to get the cops attention.....a cop will not pull ya over just cause he's bored.......maybe in Mayberry where Barney has nothing better to do then go fishing but in anytown USA the cops have plenty to do.....yes you will see cops at Dohnut shops or other restaurants....but dont you get a break on your job? You cant automatically assume that just cause ya see a cop at a restaurant he's slacking while on duty......I personally know a few cops and they dont have the time to think about slacking off! Just follow the law and you wont be bothered!.....do something stupid and the cherries will be turned on behind ya!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-24-2003, 10:45 AM
srpbaer

KaamaScarab30,
Well said....Sobrak is a part-timer.....That says it all. Some small town in Indiana that uses part-timers. Don't get me wrong, having been a Miami cop for 22 years I have seen good ones and not so good ones. We just flat don't use part timers due to the mentaility. You know the kind...pictures on the wall in uniform with the flag and that kind of stuff. I really dont mean to sound degrading, but the position requires a very unique person and that person usually can't do it just part time... I not saying it can't be done, just rarely done right. It is obivous he does not understand the constution is for all the states and can not be over-ruled by some local city council or anyone else. Mayor Daily can say what he wants but that does not make it right. The second ammendment is always under fire and debated by all public figures. The ex-mayor would tell you the constution meant to say that it was directed for the state and not the individual. which is bull and we all know that. Anyway, I just love these "John Law" types that know more than the best legal council available at any cost.
Sorry, just had to vent.

Old 01-24-2003, 11:51 AM
Registered

If srobak works where he lives that would be Indianopolis which is far from a small town.

Indianapolis Population - 1,002,000 (Source: UN Population Division 2000 estimate)

There are good cops and bad cops like every profession. Stereo types get created for a reason, that does not mean they apply to everyone. Have you seen the computer guy skits on Saturday night Live? I'm a computer guy and people who know me know I do not fit that stereo type. It does exist however, the difference is when I see the skit I laugh, I do not get all defensive. If you are a police officer, great we need them, if you do a good job and keep to the true reason the police department exists, which is to serve and protect just like painted on the cars, then even better. I understand the safety issue surrounding being a cop; I have friends and family members who are policemen. One in NYC who was stationed in tower 7 at the WTC on September 11, 2001. He luckily was out on patrol far from the area when the towers collapsed. I guess my point is as in any profession do a good job and be judged by your record and don't defend those or the actions of those who do abuse their power and we all know they exist, for that is what propagates the stereo types.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:34 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1997/2010 Spectre Catamaran w/ twin 250XS Sports

Quote:
Originally posted by srobak

I am all for protecting your rights and following the constitution - however there are a lot of technicalities involved in it which your average arm-chair attorney is not going to know about or understand, and really ought to refrain from posting about in a public fora (personal opinion there, but do what you want).
Srobak:

I don't know that I fit the definition of "your average arm-chair attorney". I am a Criminal Defense Attorney. I am a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Louisiana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, and the founder of the North Louisiana Criminal Defense Lawyers. I would say I have been exposed to the issues more than most.

Nevertheless, I want to apologize for coming down a little hard on you the other day. I had just finished cross-examining two officers who beat the holy dog crap out of my client. He was charged with disturbing the peace, battery, and resisting. Their stories were WILDLY different, yet the both sat there with a straight face in the witness chair. The client has been diagnosed with PTSD as a result of the beating. The problem is that they had no reason to arrest the guy in the first place.

I guess I took it out on you a little. Sorry.

BTW -- fora is plural. Forum is singular.