Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How many trucks freezing up in the cold ? >

How many trucks freezing up in the cold ?

Notices

How many trucks freezing up in the cold ?

Old 01-24-2003, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes...100% you can mix them!

if the fuel gels them your f'ed....the psd has a return fuel line which helps.

i have smoked the low pressure pump on my psd right after i got it in the winter.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:30 PM
Registered

good point but my boss says...."Mr.....has expressed on multiple occasions that both my experience and knowledge level are not currently being utilized by ......." so i'm just here to help you guys!!!LOL
Old 01-24-2003, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great, something more to think about.
I've been trying to take in all of the debates about the benifits of Gas -vs- diesel for my next truck purchase.
I'm glad topics like this get posted to help others understand the good,the bad,and the ugly.

Cordell
Old 01-24-2003, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was in MA with AudioFN, the PSD gelled on my wife. Like Boot said, it started fine, and gelled after running all morning. Died in the middle of the afternoon at 22 degrees. I almost always buy from truck stops, but think this tank came from a local station instead.

Talked to a OTR truck driver Thur morning about gelling in his rig, and he said it recently happened to him after driving from Chicago to Nashville and starting his return. Something about once the filter gells, that's it.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:06 PM
Registered

My old relic of diesel always starts. The old 90 CTD may chuck and clug but it always starts. I use Stanadyne conditioner when it gets real cold. No gelling yet(fingers crossed).
Old 01-24-2003, 03:35 PM
MikeW

audacity,

I had a Crank sensor go bad in my 2000 PSD when i was In Ocala FL. The Dealer I got one from said this was the most common part he sells for the PSD's Is there a problem with them, I hate to carry a spare since it cost me $196.00
Just curious

MikeW

Old 01-24-2003, 04:22 PM
Registered

mike, never had one go bad on me...i have heard this, but never seen it...i have 120k on my 00...i DO carry a spare fuel filter always and i have replaced them while on the road....if you do think your fuel has gelled then pull the filter and have someone cycle the key...your low pressure pump will cycle..check to see if fuel is coming in...if it makes it there on a psd gel'ns not your problem.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use anything with anti-gel conditioner. Most quart bottles are for 100 gallons of fuel so use what you like. It also improves the performance. I also use a little bit of transmission fluid in my 85 Chevy diesel. With low sulfur diesel fuel the transmission fluid helps lube the injection pump. The 85 has over 500,000miles on it and when I fix the starter on it, it will have more.

Just REMEMBER you need an additive with ANTI-GEL to keep the fuel from gelling up. The block warmer also help starting every morning.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:00 PM
Registered

Lucas oils has a great fuel additive for anti-gel and to help lube the injector pumps with this low sulpher fuel.

Even with my truck plugged in today it looked like a Big Truck starting up with no help...Thats cold.....
Old 01-25-2003, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Boot, I use howes,works good ,we didnt freeze up yet with our fleet,hey by the way,hows your cat doin? tripps

Quick Reply: How many trucks freezing up in the cold ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.