Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Supercharger guys - Carb or Injected? >

Supercharger guys - Carb or Injected?

Notices
View Poll Results: Supercharger guys - carb or injected?
Drawthrough carb
51.61%
Blowthrough carb
9.68%
Drawthrough fuel injection
11.29%
Blowthrough fuel injection
27.42%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Supercharger guys - Carb or Injected?

Old 01-27-2003, 08:17 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run an 825 Race Demon on top of an intercooled Whipplecharger. It idles better than the stock carb did. The motor is a Gen 5 454 Magnum. Sometimes I wish I had fuel injection but then I wouldn't be able to tune it like I can with a carb.

Personally I think a draw thru carb setup is the only way to go. It mixes the air/fuel better than a blow thru setup and you don't have the fuel puddling problem. Another advantage of a draw thru carb setup is that the air is actually chilled slightly by the air/fuel mix.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:06 PM

carb motors are for sure more forgiving. All they do is take some special care to tune for smooth idle with out fouling. They cost less and will spare you those melted pistons. Otto
Old 01-28-2003, 12:47 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuel injection all the way, although more expensive, with the right person and computer working on an engine, you can have it start up anywhere, anytime, any circumstance. Better yet, if sophisticated enough, you can make it impossible to hurt an engine other than mechanical failure.

Funny thing, EFI can be done really easy in most cases, if people would fly tuners to there location, boats could be done in minutes, instead of sending ECU's back and forth. Most have success with carbs because they can tune them realitively easy and theres many ways to achieve the same goal. EFI requires sophistacted equipment, knowledgeable tuner and knowledgeable computer. Simple fact is that there are very few with this ability in the "high performance" market when compared to carb tuners. EFI can certainly be overwhelming, MEFI 1 compared to MEFI 3 is huge, then MEFI 3 to MEFI 4, then MEFI to Motorola 555, etc. But its the future! Hell, I can be in my office tuning a boat across the nation, do that with a carb

I gotta admit though, carbs have been around forever and because of this, parts are cheaper, theres far more common knowledge, etc. so it's going to be more common in this area, but EFI is coming fast and taking over. Many diehards don't mind working on them, but theres far more than get in the boat, don't want to touch anything but the throttles and the women in the boat

The one thing I would like to say is that there are many, far too many misconeptions regarding fuel injection, it drives me crazy hearing some things, but as someone said, EFI ain't rocket science!

Dustin
Old 01-28-2003, 11:27 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I have two 850 Holley carbs draw thru for now But
Fuel injection I think will be the way of the future!
Old 01-28-2003, 12:10 PM
blown1500

Whipple Charged has a point!! FI is coming whether you want it or not!! FI set up right is practicly bullet proof. There aren't many people who can set up FI correctly but he is one of them.
Soon, we may be able to get FI with a relatively easy to set up format and we can tune easily FI ourselves. You can get several systems now, but you have to use a laptop and buy the ECU and wiring harness to go with it. Big bucks campared to a carb, but the prices are falling!

Old 01-30-2003, 02:11 PM
import

Default EFI vs. Carb

It certainly sounds like most guys like carb over EFI. Does any one know if there is a multiport fuel injection system that is manually controled verses electronic as this seems to be the dislike. Personally I like the idea of MPI for power and eficiency I hate the ECM problems.

Old 06-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Registered

Default Re: Supercharger guys - Carb or Injected?

having problems getting a computer re maped for fuel injection 540 with a pro charger any answers the computer is from az marine
Old 06-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
Fuel injection all the way, although more expensive, with the right person and computer working on an engine, you can have it start up anywhere, anytime, any circumstance. Better yet, if sophisticated enough, you can make it impossible to hurt an engine other than mechanical failure.

Funny thing, EFI can be done really easy in most cases, if people would fly tuners to there location, boats could be done in minutes, instead of sending ECU's back and forth. Most have success with carbs because they can tune them realitively easy and theres many ways to achieve the same goal. EFI requires sophistacted equipment, knowledgeable tuner and knowledgeable computer. Simple fact is that there are very few with this ability in the "high performance" market when compared to carb tuners. EFI can certainly be overwhelming, MEFI 1 compared to MEFI 3 is huge, then MEFI 3 to MEFI 4, then MEFI to Motorola 555, etc. But its the future! Hell, I can be in my office tuning a boat across the nation, do that with a carb

I gotta admit though, carbs have been around forever and because of this, parts are cheaper, theres far more common knowledge, etc. so it's going to be more common in this area, but EFI is coming fast and taking over. Many diehards don't mind working on them, but theres far more than get in the boat, don't want to touch anything but the throttles and the women in the boat

The one thing I would like to say is that there are many, far too many misconeptions regarding fuel injection, it drives me crazy hearing some things, but as someone said, EFI ain't rocket science!

Dustin
I have Whippled Teague 900's EFI's, they work very very well. Dustin is correct, fuel injection is the future.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:01 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged

Dustin
True True!!! ACCEL BABY!!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Registered

Blowthrough Nickerson carb. 540 w/ M-4 procharger. Jetted correctly after the 2nd time on the water. On the 3rd season without a change. Have not fouled a plug and is very fuel efficient running on primaries.

Quick Reply: Supercharger guys - Carb or Injected?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.