FlatLander Racing...what an A$$

Notices

FlatLander Racing...what an A$$

Old 01-26-2003, 12:02 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FlatLander Racing...what an A$$

Well some of you guys have seen my posts as of late.....I'm thinking of upgrading my engines either by stroker kits or a crate short block. To make a long story short I was pointed tward Flatlander racings web site after looking at all there kits I emailed there tech guys about a 509 short block they basically told me I was an Idiot! dont wast my money buy a 540 from them, well I'm a little scared of the torque of the 540 (I have Merlin oval port heads) and asked them If they would build the 509's. Again they told me not to waste my money, what happened to the customer is always right? just give me a price.....well I asked them just that " isn't the customer always right? The guy emails me back tells me that he's been in the biz for 50 years has forgotten more than I will ever know and tells me that He thought like me too when he was 13.... what an ass! I was ready to spend almost 8k on short blocks and the guy gives me a bunch of crap like that... I wouldn't buy a washer from them if they were the last Harware store on earth!!!!!Just venting!!!!!
Old 01-26-2003, 12:21 PM
Registered

Well I understand if they had good reasons for not wanting to build you a 509, but to talk down to you, calling you an idiot, is wrong. How would they treat you if you had a problem down the road? IMO, the customer is not always right, but needs to be educated and told why.

Have you looked at Cobra's website? I think they sell shortblocks. Keep looking, you'll find something.
Old 01-26-2003, 12:26 PM
Registered

Sorry, it was Chief's web sit but they changed their product list, and their prices have gone up.
Old 01-26-2003, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would email the guy back with this thread attached. Maybe next time the guy will act a bit different. Atleast he will see that some people other than himself may know what they are talking about.
Old 01-26-2003, 12:32 PM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well the guy might need to polish his people skills. But he might be trying to steer you in the right direction. How much more is the 540 from the 509. I understand what you are saying about the extra torque but that could be avoided by how you drive the boat. Extra HP and torque would be a hard thing to turn down for me, if it only cost a little more.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:12 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

The 540 and the 509's are the same price but like I told him if you blow the drives to pieces its game over! I'm not looking for the most horsepower I can get, just the most reliable package I can put together for the money! If the guy had given me an explination of why I should opt for the 540's I would be the first to sit and listen, I'm no expert and dont pretend to be just a weekend Power boater looking to build a good package. The guy has the public relation skills of a pitbull on Crack!!! One more thing about the 509's its the Crate motor offered by Teague...if its good enough for him its good enough for me to consider!
Old 01-26-2003, 01:32 PM
liquidlocomotive

try this guy www.goodwincompetition.com

Old 01-26-2003, 01:51 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Don't waste your time with them...there are plenty of other engine builders that will be more than happy to discuss engine options with you.

However, I do agree with your reaction to their comments, if they treat all customers like that, nobody will want to do business with them and they'll suffer as a result. Obviously, they could care less though. I wonder how their support after the sale is handled?
Old 01-26-2003, 02:11 PM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sticking up for this guy but the 540 will let you spin a bigger prop with less RPM's cruising. And if you handle the sticks well the drive should hold togeather for you. Just something to think about.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:19 PM
blown1500

Dyno!!
I know what you are saying. I always try to give a guy the best advise I can. I also give him what he wants if I can and if I don't think it will break. Even then, I don't tell him he has a problem, but that for some reason I can't do what he asked. For your outdrive problem, think about a 499 engine. They are a little down on torque from a 509, but not much and they make just as much power at a slightly higher rpm, get better fuel economy, and last forever!! KAAMA had a similar problem. Ask him. I can help and I understand what you want!! pm for details!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: FlatLander Racing...what an A$$

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.