Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boycott Ben and Jerry's (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/42162-boycott-ben-jerrys.html)

at100plus 01-29-2003 10:21 AM

Boycott Ben and Jerry's

Did you see Susan Sarandon's commercial?

Ben Cohen - Owner of Ben and Jerrys Ice Cream (boycott Ben & Jerry's please) Funded Susan Saradon in this commercial where she asks:

"Before our kids start coming home from Iraq in bodybags and women children start dying in Bagdad, I need to know, what did Iraq do to us "

Are you kidding me? READ A BOOK, or watch the History channel if you are too lazy. Somebody smack her out of the land of make pretend please!

Let's not forget her antics when she protested the imprisonment of a convicted cop killer in Philadelphia. This man Mumia executed a cop in the middle of a city street by shooting him point blank in the head, and she and her movie star freeks rallied for his freedom.

Sean 01-29-2003 10:46 AM

for anyone who dislikes this country and it's policies, by all means, please move one of these great countries you chose to side with.

That goes for all you "fighting for cause of the week" celebrities.

People who abuse their celebrity status and money to create dissent in our country should be treated as terrorists and charged with treason and whatever other crime we can think of to throw them in jail for the rest of their lives.

After hearing about that ad last night, I certainly will never purcahse another drop of Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

this **** really makes me mad...

Neverfastenuf 01-29-2003 11:01 AM

Unfortunately more Hollywood drivel. Baldwin, Sheen, Sarandon, etc, etc, etc. They complain and boycott the very things that have elevated them to the status they are. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. It is one thing to disagree, but another to blatantly defy and disrespect a country that has given one so much. Let them move to Iraq. Sorry, couldn't help myself. I just think it is disgusting the way some celebrities can misconstrue events to strenghten ones own personal agenda.

RickerTX 01-29-2003 11:05 AM

Well, for one thing Ms. Sarandon, Iraqis are not allowed to view your movies(ie no freedom). Hello, they are constantly being abused by that freekin dictator!!

Where has she been?

Phknlwyr 01-29-2003 11:15 AM

I wonder if Sarandon saw what Saddam did to the Kurds in the north? Perhaps then she would appreciate the capabilities of Iraq to not only take similar action against the US but to sell this capabiliy to a third party terrorist who may make a visit to her sheltered Hollywood enclave.

Dave M 01-29-2003 11:18 AM

Wasn't it one of the Baldwins that said he was going to move out of the country if Bush was elected? Why is he still here?

Neverfastenuf 01-29-2003 11:48 AM

Dave, it was Alec Baldwin that made that remark. After the election many people offered to buy the plane ticket for him. Unfortunatley, they called his bluff and he folded. Guess he realized it's really not that bad of a country after all.:crazy: :rolleyes:

xconn92 01-29-2003 11:52 AM

Damn celebrities forget just how good they have it here in this country:hothead:

You gotta love Travolta going over to Iraq for a few photo-ops, then becoming all dismayed after he feels that he was "misrepresented and betrayed" by the Iraqi's after he left. Friggin' emptyheader! After "Battlefield Earth", he deserves a few months in one of Saddam's prisons.

And hell yeah I'm boycotting Ben & Jerry's. That ice cream is way over-rated anyway.

Von Bongo 01-29-2003 12:24 PM

Re: Boycott Ben and Jerry's

[QUOTE]Originally posted by at100plus

"Before our kids start coming home from Iraq in bodybags and women children start dying in Bagdad, I need to know, what did Iraq do to us "

Same thing Hitler did to us...nothing....did that make WWII wrong?
Oh he declared war on us after 12/7 because of the axis alliance.

I guess if there is going to be an attack on the US to make us move, I sure hope it is in Hollywood California

Donzi38ZX 01-29-2003 01:23 PM

I have no problem boycotting Ben & Jerry's. What about the hollywood idiots themselves? I agree that everyone has a right to their opinion but come on, you or I can't get major news coverage or a prime time commercial to express our views. When will the media stop giving these idiots a disproportionate voice? They are famous for acting, not their incredibly perceptual knowledge of world events. I love how hollywood always rallies to help fight AIDS and two seconds later jumps all over animal testing. Hey Morons, how do you think the scientists are fighting AIDS? I have not gone to a movie theater in years, I do not plan on starting anytime soon.

Fast Shafts 01-29-2003 01:35 PM

Many PBA (Police Benevolant Associations) and FOP (Fraternal Order of Police) have been boycotting Ben& Jerrys for years due to them financially backing a convicted murder in Philly Pa.

Shane 01-29-2003 01:45 PM

As was stated in another post, many of these same individuals earn BIG money from violent films. These are usually bleeding heart liberals that attempt to further their own agenda using the misfortunes of others.

Too Old, I respectfully take issue with your point about her voicing her opinion. I agree she has a right to do so. However, she is taking a stand against the land that has given her everything she has. She is not doing what is in the best interest of anyone other than attempting to increase her own popularity. It is akin to burning the flag in my eyes. If you want to be anti-american, move out the country and do not come back and bash all you want.

Neverfastenuf 01-29-2003 02:28 PM

Shane, send her to Iraq, let her exhibit the same disrespectful, uneduacted verbiage towards Saddam she does towards President Bush. How long will she be a factor in any equation then. Not long. Respect goes a long way. While we may not always agree, we should still show respect for our President and our Nation. In times like these, our Country needs it's citizens of all races, religions, beliefs to stand United. Like our Anthem says, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, not numerous displaced factions. With our heritage of strength and right, we will prevail. I am off my soapbox now.

Dredgeking 01-29-2003 02:29 PM

i'm in a bind. i love my country and i am EXTREMELY patriotic. unfortunately, since i reside in texas, the only good yankee ice cream i can get is ben and jerry's (and only in a few places)

so..... i don't know what to do.

Donzi38ZX 01-29-2003 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Dredgeking
i'm in a bind. i love my country and i am EXTREMELY patriotic. unfortunately, since i reside in texas, the only good yankee ice cream i can get is ben and jerry's (and only in a few places)

so..... i don't know what to do.

Buy an ice cream maker and get to work :D

X-Rated30 01-29-2003 02:51 PM

#1 -- It IS her right to make such statements, and anyone who tries to squelch her is doing this country a BIG disservice. Freedom of speech is the life blood of democracy. Boycotting Ben & Jerry's is your right, too. (I have boycotted them for the last 2 years, although I prefer to call it a diet.)

#2 -- Not everyone that loves this country thinks going to war in Iraq is appropriate at this point. I do not, and I am a registered Republican, and have always been.

#3 -- Catman: try the Blue Bell.;)

dockrocker 01-29-2003 03:09 PM

You can leave Ben and Jerry's a comment here: http://www.benandjerrys.com/ca/

Here's what I left them:

Ben & Jerry's gets a big THANK YOU! for making my grocery shopping easier. By sponsoring Susan Sarandon's recent commercial in support of Saddam Hussein, the mass-murderer dictator of Iraq, you've demonstrated the values of your company. I now can pass over the entire Ben & Jerry's section in the local supermarket, making it that much easier to do my shopping.

In fact, I think I'll speak to the management at our local store about removing your products completely. Thank you again!

FormulaFan 01-29-2003 04:40 PM

ben and jerrys

Wasn't Ben and Jerry's sold to a large Company? If so, too bad because the boycott won't hurt Ben and Jerry!

georges 01-29-2003 05:52 PM

That means those two commies (ben & jerry) are sitting around their New Hampshire (or wherever) farms, probably decked out in their tie dyed jogging suits, smoking some stuff, and just laughing their asses off, about how they "screwed the establishment". I hope susan saranwrap shows up at their place for a love in and gives them all the youknowwhat!:mad: :hothead:

mlitefan 01-29-2003 06:23 PM

What I want to know is why we even give the celeb crowd an audience?

They haven't lived in the real world for a long time and I could give a rats fart what their uninformed opinion is on these matters.

They need to stick to making movies instead of trying to extend their fantasy lives into my world.

There freaken actors for goodness sakes...no one cares what they think...at least they shouldn't...

Neverfastenuf 01-29-2003 06:41 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KaamaScarab30
[B]#1 -- It IS her right to make such statements, and anyone who tries to squelch her is doing this country a BIG disservice. Freedom of speech is the life blood of democracy. Boycotting Ben & Jerry's is your right, too. (I have boycotted them for the last 2 years, although I prefer to call it a diet.)

#2 -- Not everyone that loves this country thinks going to war in Iraq is appropriate at this point. I do not, and I am a registered Republican, and have always been.

I agree. If my post sounded as though I don't believe she has the right to voice her opinion, I retract said post. She and every other citizen of this great country has the right to any opinion, agenda, belief they feel compelled to support. Conversely, they also have the right to express that said opinion given Freedom of Speech. My only objection is the process in which so many in society now assert deflamatory and degrading testimony directed at others, to bolster ones own campaign. Throwing dirt in other words. Cat and I may not agree on the origin of life itself, but I will not belittle or degrade him in some feeble attempt to substantiate or strengthen my belief. I firmly believe a debate that is concise, informative, considerate, and respectful to all involved, is much more potent than one containing slander, deceit, hostility and ill content. Optimism is much more beneficial than pessimism. Seems society does fuel a substantial amount off the "Dirty Laundry" syndrome though, in turn creating a huge vortech of unsubstantiated and cruel accusations towards many people. This is a fact that will probably go on and on, with little or no recourse. I guess we agree to disagree and try and do it with a certain amount of civility. I've written enough now, someone elses turn.

buck183 01-29-2003 06:48 PM

Kind of remind me of another female actress from a few years ago. Does the name "Jane Fonda" mean anything to everyone?

I'm quite sure there are some on this board that had to deal with her type when they returned from Vietnam. My father being one.

Buck

R Addiction 01-29-2003 07:42 PM

That Crazy Bi&ch! This crap makes me hungry....I'm getting a huge bowl of Breyers right now...............F.... Ben and Jerry!:mad:

Wildman1 01-29-2003 08:21 PM

Ben & Jerry's was Sold

Guys I don't want to buss your bubbies but Ben and Jerry was sold almost 2 years ago to Unliver. Those two idoits are bleeding heart liberals. Along with the rest of the liberals in the movie business. Just don't go to watch them. Their abilty to command the top dollar will going down very quickly. As far as the quailyt of the ice cream your are correct in your judgement it isn't worth a ****. I should know because I own a ice cream manufacturing company. If you don't like our country LEAVE.

Dredgeking 01-29-2003 08:26 PM

wildman, send me an ice cream maker and i won't have my dilema anymore. :)

Risk Taker 01-29-2003 08:27 PM

Originally posted by mlitefan
....... and I could give a rats fart what their uninformed opinion is on these matters.

...no one cares what they think...at least they shouldn't...

YUP......:hothead: :hothead: :hothead:

JIM H 01-29-2003 08:30 PM

f-ben and jerry and all the hollywood a-holes

Rippem 01-29-2003 09:21 PM

clowney's way overated, as far as I'm concerned they all are. They need to shut the f*** up and stick to play acting. :hothead: Do not buy national television time to voice a clearly divisive opinion in these critical times. Wonder how much of her $ was forwarded to 9/11 relief? Maybe to buy some of those youngsters of those killed an education so they won't have to stoop to being "court jester" actor azzholes.

THRILLSEEKER 01-29-2003 09:23 PM

OWE, LOOK AT ME I AM A OVERPAID ACTOR WITH A LOT OF MONEY, YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO ME BECAUSE I AM RICH AND KNOW EVERYTHING!!

Well LAAAADEEEEFRIGGGINDAAA!
If theese morons know so much about what is good for this country then why the hell arent they in office?????

BTW, warbird, Charleton Heston would be a great leader for this country. My .02

Fast Shafts 01-29-2003 10:45 PM

If your going to boycott Ben & Jerrys, you might as well boycott Breyers, Good Humor and Klondike since Unilever owns them also.

Red Stripe 01-30-2003 12:20 AM

Time for some good old Hudsonville Ice Cream :D

VinMan 01-30-2003 10:28 AM

Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey, my only vice !! Kill me to give that up::rolleyes:

VinMan 01-30-2003 10:36 AM

All of those Hollywood A**holes should be banned from any further award shows for voicing thier political opinion. Thats not the time or place for that. Not that I give a crap what they have to say . since they so insulated from lifes realitys anyway!!
At least I'm gettin more room in my cd and movie collection as i toss out thier stuff!:D :D

Steve 1 01-30-2003 01:09 PM

Ben and jerrys Never!

also here is Why Hormell Products will never be in my House~

http://www.loper.org/~george/trends/1999/Jun/100.html

cuda 01-30-2003 03:57 PM

The message I sent to B&J's.

Comments: Do to Ben and Jerry's support of Susan Sarandons anti-american commercials, I will be boycotting all Ben and Jerry's products in the future, as well as Breyers, Good Humor and Klondike. I will also urge EVERYONE I know to do the same. Any other products that I find is yours will also be boycotted.