Notices

God Bless our Firemen

Old 01-29-2003, 01:58 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up God Bless our Firemen

Here is another example of the courage of those fire fighters around you.
This shows a fireman walking on the remains of roof beams of a building that had exploded about 1/2 hour before. He was looking for any possible survivors.
God bless you guys
Attached Thumbnails God Bless our Firemen-fire.jpg  
Old 01-29-2003, 02:41 PM
Registered

gdfatha,

As a 10 year veteran of the fire service and Lieutenant of my district, thank you for the thoughts and the kind words. Although here on the board there are several career firemen, who know much more and have far more experience than I, we are all in it for the same reason. To serve our fellow man(and woman). Unfortuantely, there are those who are in it for the glory, and that is too bad, but we must keep our minds focused on the given task at hand.

Also it is important to understand that we are NOT heroes. We are doing what we enjoy and some of us are doing our job. A hero is someone who has no reason to put themselves in harms way to help another. The men and women of the NYFD died doing their job. The real heroes are those victims that stayed in the buildings to help others and instead of saving themselves their selfless acts of bravery and kindness saved others and in turn took their own lives. That is a hero. Not someone who trains for his or her duties and may even be paid for their services.

I think catmando is looking more at your reference to god. Although I agree with him that if a god exists he would have prevented this act. Others will argue that god was watching over all those who got out. I am certain that your intent was not to have a a discussion on religion but rather to recognize those that risk their own well being in the service of others.

Thank you for your thoughts and kind words.

Shane Mahieu
Lieutenant
Niskayuna Fire District #2
Old 01-29-2003, 03:12 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

The intent of the posting was to honor as well as show my respect for all fireman after I saw this display of courage.

I have previously picked up on this site some sensitivities in the wording I used and will be more careful in the future.

Bottom line Shane.. Thanks to you and your brethern for being around..

marc bivona
Old 01-30-2003, 03:03 PM
Registered

A hero is someone that goes above and beyond the call of duty
It doesen't matterif you are paid ,volunteer, highly trained or just out of fire school. not everyone can do the same job.
being a volunteer firefighter for 14 years I have seen a lot of things
and saw firefighters who are not comfortable doing some jobs.It doesen't mean that they are ineffective.Noone really knows for sure how they will react to a situation until they are smack dab in the middle of it.Shane you responded to this post like it was directly written to you.gdfatha was just expressing what he was feeling after seeing something that touched him.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:55 PM
Registered

gdfatha,

Thanks for your kind thoughts. It is sure nice to see that people do appreciate all the hard work and time we put in to protect and serve our communities. Often times people view us as beer drinking, partying, irresponsible hooligans that are looking for nothing but a free handout. 9-11-01 certainly changed many of those thoughts, but I assure you, many if not most of us are here to quietly and effectively help others. Thanks for taking the time to show your appreciation.

babybro,

I did not take what gdfatha wrote as something directed personally at me. It really bothers me when people call us or cops hero's. Volunteer or paid, it is what we are trained to do. It is our job. It is a conscious decision we made when we signed up. It is what taxpayers pay for. It is what is expected. If you are affraid to do something and feel that you will be a bigger hindrance than help, then by all means, don't do it. If you look danger in the face, and put your life or well being at risk, and do or do not save someone, you are not a hero my friend. As I stated earlier, hero's are those non-firefighters, non-cops that put themselves in harms way to help. Sorry, but I disagree with you. Unfortunately today, many firefighters have come to think of themselves as hero's and bask in the glory and attention. We have them in our department and I as an officer discourage that behavior to the best of my abilities. Too bad it some times seems like an exercise in futility.

Last edited by Shane; 01-30-2003 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand what you are saying Shane.....But......

You guys ARE heros in my eyes !!

And i say this with the utmost respect.....

God bless all of you guys
Old 01-30-2003, 07:54 PM
Registered

Thanks for the kind words gdfatha.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Dad was a fireman for 30+ years, and I took it for granted when I was growing up, even when he came home covered in soot. Never thought of him as a hero, but I sure am glad he's still around.
Whether or not anyone else ever considered him a hero, he is one in my book.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:49 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to all.
Simply put, we do it because we love our job. (It sure as hell ain't for the money!)
Birdog, gdfatha,
Thank you.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:00 PM
Registered

First of all shane I am not afraid of anything .I have been in a lot of fires I have medals and plaques for saving lives.And I am not a glory hound.It is nice to be reconized for doing a good job.
And if someone wants to think of themself as a hero let them.
We are not born cops and firemen we made a choice to become one.You know as well as I do that it is 90% of the time a thankless job So when we do get a little praise it feels good.
Not all people are cut out to do this job paid or volunteer so
just signing up for this job is what i call going above and beyond.

Quick Reply: God Bless our Firemen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.