OT_ Need advice on new surround system >

OT_ Need advice on new surround system

Notices

OT_ Need advice on new surround system

Old 01-30-2003, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Default OT_ Need advice on new surround system

Just picked up a new Bose speaker system, and read that they are compatible with 4-8 ohm receivers. Then I looked at the back of my newly purchased pioneer elite reciever and it states 8-16 ohm speakers. My question-- is this going to affect the sound quality or speaker/ receiver draw. It just seems strange that the range is to the max on the speakers and the min on the receiver, The Harmon Cardon I was looking at was 4-8 also, just that it was $600 more.
Any info or will everything work well? Don't want to put it together and cause damage, the worst is the sales guy said 'oh ya, no problem'-- it just didn't calm me that much. Thanx for any info.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are ranges of allowable ratings, in other words yes they will work fine. Ohm ratings do have an impact on draw but I'm too lazy to do the math and I'm certain Mr. 9000+ post Audiofn will jump in and give you the whole scoop.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:09 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You should break out the old OHM meter and test the speakers. If it tests at 8OHMS then you are fine. Any lower and I would opt for a different set of speakers or a different amp. You should NEVER run your amps at lower then the recommended Ohm rating. It not only causes the speakers to not sound as good as the amp has less control over the speaker (min difference however) but it also makes your stereo seperation suck. The amp will also run a LOT hotter and eventually blow up. So if you want to be safe then put a ohm meter on them and make sure that they are 8 ohms or more. A little lower like 7 is acceptable.

Jon
Old 01-30-2003, 04:14 PM
FWK

If the speakers are below the Ohm rating you wil cause the reciever to go into protection. I don't sell Bose speakers so I cannot speak about the resistance they have. I have used 6 ohm speakers in customers homes with Pioneer equipment with no problems. I would imagine you will be OK with the set up you have. Most manufacturers build in some cushion to avoid problems.

Old 01-30-2003, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanx for the advice , I'm going to test them!
Old 01-30-2003, 05:20 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Would a computer surround sound speaker set up work with an audio receiver? or will it eventually blow/degrade quality??
Old 01-30-2003, 08:37 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Pioneer Elite amp will be fine. The only reason (pioneer told me) they put that rating of 8+ ohms is so they can pass UL listing. The amp will run warmer, but don't worry, it can take it.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 01-30-2003, 09:40 PM
Registered

My wife just got me a harmon Kardon avr 225 for my bose, I was using a sony before. Big differece espically with the dolby digital. No distortion at all. The only thing the sony had that was better was the extra bass option. The receiver has sub out but doesnt work with the bose sub. Lots of cool inputs on the back for all your audio and video.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:36 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys want a BALLS system? Hear ya go

EAD DVD player 8000.00
EAD Pre-Amp 7000.00
EAD AMP375x6 watts 7000.00
Triad Golds 1200.00
Triad Gold Surrounds 1800.00

PS Audio Line Conditioner 2300.00

You set that up with a good sub (we custom make ours) and you will be BLOWN away. I mean put the Doors in there and you will swear Jim is back alive in front of you.

Some things are worth spending the money on Good processors and amps NEVER go bad, they just become classics

Jon
Old 01-31-2003, 07:09 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Troutly
And here I was hoping to jump in on another Bose Slam-a-thon!
Ok, you talked me into it. Don't buy Bose for reasons that are all over the web. You can spend 1/2 the money and get much better speakers, or spend the same amount and absolutely blow the Bose away. Bose makes a lot of money that they spend on more advertising, not product development.

There are some really good reasonably priced Canadian speakers you should check out. Paradigm, Energy, Psb will all outperform Bose for less. I bought Paradigm Mini Monitors and a CC in Canada because they charge the same price in both Canadian dollars and US, so they were a lot cheaper for speakers that generally don't go on sale here.

I'd love to be able to spend 22k on a pre-amp, amp, and dvd player, but not everyone is willing to go there. You can get a decent system on a budget.

Last edited by Bill272; 01-31-2003 at 07:16 AM.

Quick Reply: OT_ Need advice on new surround system

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.