Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any G.m. Big Wigs Or Zone Reps Out There? >

Any G.m. Big Wigs Or Zone Reps Out There?

Notices

Any G.m. Big Wigs Or Zone Reps Out There?

Old 02-03-2003, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any G.m. Big Wigs Or Zone Reps Out There?

wOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHY ON MY '94 K1500 BLAZER THE PAINT IS PEELING. THE TRUCK IS ALWAYS WASHED AND WAXED AND LOOKS MINT UNTIL A FEW WEEKS AGO.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:54 PM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it white? GM had adhesion problems with their paint stickng to the primer. I sent a few customers back to the dealers for new paint (free) jobs with trucks in the late 80's early 90's. They would put 2" masking tape on the paint and rip it off so see how much paint would come off. Works better with 3M tape. The dealers would only do so many a month but would fit you in if you were on the list. They would have to strip the truck to do it right. I have seen them strip it to the body line and feather it into the old paint on the bottom. But most of the time the paint wouldn't feather and just peel.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM has a policy for this but I believe that your truck is over the age limit. They called it clear coat degradation which is French for "chit won't stick". Call the service manager at your local dealership, he/she is the contact person for GM. They did cover this problem way past 36/36 but on a case by case basis. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for the advise, the truck is in fact white. I always keep it clean and waxed and now this chit happens. I noticed a small spot on the fender last year, but now this year it's all over the hood and top of passenger door. I bought this truck 2 years old and kept up with it since. Only has 82k on it. I guess I'll give it a try.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:09 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

It's not only limited to GM's. I believe that Chrysler has a massive problem with it. From my understanding the paint manufacturer (PPG?) said that certain parts of the vehicle didn't need to be primed. This was pretty well limited to the horizontal surfaces.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Funny you said that Cord. My wife's '94 grand cherokee has a major peel problem on just the roof. I was wondering if any GM big wig can tell me the correct way to approach the service manager. I feel kind of weird because I purchased the vehicle in '96 from a private individual. The last time I went there with the rear shock bracket cracked clear off the frame. They basically told me to take a hike. Went to another dealer took them 2 months to order the part. Reason being there was no part# for this. They had everything from hubcaps to complete frames arrive and sent back each time. Needless to say, they wanted me to pay half after the truck was 6 months out of warrenty. I fixed it myself for next to nothing.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:10 PM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

White, how did I guess? Have you bought any GM cars lately or plan on buying a GM car soon in the future? They might work with you for the sale. Know anyone that works at the dealership? It's not what you know but WHO you know. Maybe the body shop manager wants to go for a ride on your boat. (if you know what I mean). If you lead them to beleive that you will NEVER buy another GM product they might work with you. Don't be afraid to ask, the worst thing they could say is no. At the very least they might make you a good deal on a paint job. Try a couple different dealers in your area. One might want the work more than another. Good Luck.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'll try that. Do you work for GM?
Old 02-05-2003, 06:23 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

No, but I KNOW alot of people that do. (Nascar-NHRA) The beating I take around here from the non GM people (most run egg beaters on thier boats?) I should get a salery from them for the PR work I do for them. Being a motor head I don't know many people that aren't speed freaks. I restored Pontiacs SE Zone managers GTO a couple of years ago. Plus I have bought many GM cars & trucks. If you were down here I could probable get it done for you. Just be polite and sincere, GM KNOWS they had a problem. Good Luck
Old 02-05-2003, 06:43 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

cig1988,,,Don't want to burst your bubble but you might have a problem since your not the original owner.. Hope for your sake I'm wrong..Like others have said,doesn't hurt to ask..Also like others said,be sincere and polite..

The one tactic I would not use is to threaten you will no longer buy another GM product if this is not resolved. As a (ex) Service Manager ,I'm telling you that does not work.....

Also,try to put things in perspective. The warranty is 3/36 and the truck is out of warranty by 6 years...That's not just a little bit out!

Good Luck ! Hope they give you a spanking new paint job.

Quick Reply: Any G.m. Big Wigs Or Zone Reps Out There?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.