Like Tree0Likes

GPS speedos

Old 02-06-2003, 09:26 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

My Boats: 1993 Sonic 31ss

Cord who's speedo are you using? couldn't the company help with the cables? sounds like a pain in the ASS....I'd love one with the recall but dont know if its worth the money and the hassel....
Old 02-06-2003, 09:48 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: Chris Craft Stinger 222

Dyno, the Gaffrig/livorsi units retail for $236 for the head unit and $446 for the complete kit....thats for the smaller 3 3/8" cutout models. Which are the same size as the regular speedos. The monster series is only like $40 more and if you wanted them in white just add $3......no bear in mind this is retail pricing...you can find them cheaper....if you want some pricing let me know

Oh and as for hooking them up to a hand held GPS.....i think the output of the primary GPS units needs to be a NEMMA output....or something like that....I believe Gaffrig has the patch cords for a few too.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-06-2003, 09:51 AM
Brad Perry

Do most of you use a digital? Do any of you like the analog gps readout??

Old 02-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Wally can you get me a price on a 3 3/8" black face with a red bezel with the sender?
Old 02-06-2003, 10:34 AM
Bayley

$500 for a speedometer?!?

Man, I'm in the wrong business.

(A bunch of techno garble to follow: )
I talked to Mike Livorsi this summer about GPS speedometers. Basically I Asked him why he was pushing the speedometers with integrated receivers in them, verse just a speedometer that reads off of an existing GPS. His claim was that the stand alone speedo's (non receivers) were not working with the newer model GPS units.

This is a common problem with a lot of GPS receivers. Up until recently, GPS manufacturers were not really following the NMEA (national marine electronics association) 0183 standard for GPS bus messages all too closely. Basically, the NMEA standards call for RS-485 voltage levels with have an isolated ground bus (since most boats are made of fiberglass, not metal). However, most developers of GPS receivers were transmitting and receiving these messages as RS-232 protocol (+5V, -5V biasing like what is on a PC serial port).

I have a feeling that what happened with Livorsi and other Gauge manufacturers, is that they never really designed the bus interface for the RS-485 voltage levels. Cord, this is why you probably had to put a transformer in line with the bus. Not so much to reduce the positive voltage, but to remove the negative voltage biasing.

I've made a handful of digital readouts that I've connected to GPS receivers. They didn't have a "Monster" face or anodized bezels, but they worked. If I really wanted to, I could make a digital readout for about $10 -$20 in parts (board, case, components, display). I've never personally made an analog gauge, but there wouldn't be that much more involved. With all the automakers using stepper motors in instrument clusters these days, the motors should be relatively easy to find.

If any of the gauge manufacturers have more than $50 worth of parts in their gauge, they are doing something really wrong. However, by getting people to shell out $500 a piece, they must be doing something really right.

-Bayley

Old 02-06-2003, 10:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: 2017 30 Concept, 300 Verados

I was think it would be nice if GPS manufacturers could add an additional screen into their software that displays the speed only in large numbers, full screen format. That would not be hard for them to do.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:50 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Bayley sound like a side job to me!!!! I'll get in line for your first prototype!!!!! you could sell them for $200 and make great pocket money!!!
Old 02-06-2003, 10:59 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

My old dash mounted Garmin-12 works just fine for both speedo and directional purposes. Paid a whole $100 for the unit and mount 3 years ago. BTW, the speedo on it was tested against the newer Garmin-76 with WAAS and was digit for digit on the money...
Old 02-06-2003, 11:27 AM
Registered

My Boats: Top Gun

Hey Cord : 150 for the receiver ? Try $269.00 shipped.....
I know....They got me last summer !!!!!

I found out it is cheaper to buy from a dealer !!! No "Factory direct" price break there !!!!!

Sad everybody has to screw us so bad on anything "Marine"
Old 02-06-2003, 11:46 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: Chris Craft Stinger 222

birdog, if the factory gave price breaks then what incentive would deaers have to sell the stuff if you can go to them instead?

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!