Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Painting steel trailer, what do I use to protect it? >

Painting steel trailer, what do I use to protect it?

Notices

Painting steel trailer, what do I use to protect it?

Old 02-06-2003, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a good hard look at the trailer. Depending on the construction, you may only be seeing the surface. The trailer may be rusting from the inside out. Once this process starts, there is very little that can be done to stop it. It may become cost effective to purchase an aluminum trailer.
I gave my old steel trailer away after several attempts to control the rust - the rust finally won the fight!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2003, 07:59 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I'm with Jon and RLW. My once beautiful steel box trailer is starting to rust on the outside, but I'm more concerned with what is going on inside. I've thought about re-painting the exterior but I figured why bother, it's just ten times worse inside. I'll get a few more years out of it then get a new galvanized or aluminum trailer I wish I'd thought of this when I bought the boat, what a waste of money...ugh
Old 02-06-2003, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RLW, no it is not boxed in, but not I beam either. It looks like a box (rectangle) cut in half. The cross members are I beam. Don't know if that is a good discription but that is the best I can do. I am not going to spend a lot of money either. I am going to do it myself. Your right, it is not worth it.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:07 AM
riskybusiness

Sandblasting is probably the best way to prep it.

There is a product called POR15, which, I have been told is absolutely the best way to refinish previously rusted steel. It is a two-part process, with an etching primer first, then a finish coat.

I had a friend use it on his truck frame, and swears by it. It looks bulletproof to me.

'may want to check it out.

Old 02-06-2003, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all this is great advice but your underlying problem will ALWAYS exist
you have a steel trailer and you dunk it in salt water
no matter WHAT you do to protect the outside
the thing can and most probably will rust from the inside out
Just a matter of time.
if you can not help but dunk your boat in salt at the ramp, then consider an aluminum I beam trailer next or later in life or in future boats for no "inside" that salt can get to and aluminum wont rust, just pit and will last a hell of a lot longer than the steel ones do.
so I agree with the statements above about self etching primers and or epoxy stuff, definately will help the outside be protected but it is the area's you cant see that are going to be doomed.
J
Old 02-06-2003, 08:29 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

The real answer is a crane. Crane your boat in and leave it out of the salt water.

If not practical, High Quality paints and primers and paints will help, but second key is making sure ALL of the rust is gone and sealing it.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The trailer came with the boat, so I am stuck with it. A new trailer is not in the cards right now. I just need to keep it lookin' pretty.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:42 AM
tunnelvision

have you considered sand blasting, check for corrosion , repair, then have it galvanized? made this for a friend of mine (on this i only made the frame, had it galvd. he assembled it from there)they really don't look that bad if you trick em' out a little

Old 02-06-2003, 08:44 AM
tunnelvision

guess i forgot the pix. before
Attached Thumbnails Painting steel trailer, what do I use to protect it?-new-trailer-side%5B1%5D.jpg  

Old 02-06-2003, 08:44 AM
Registered

On the tubular trailer, if you drill and tap a air fitting and pressure gauge on the tube section, you can "pressurize" the trailer to keep the water out. If the pressure drops, you have a leak and can find it with soapy water. Other than that, I agree with Reindl Powerboats, I travel lift the boat off the trailer when it is going into salt water.
Robert

Quick Reply: Painting steel trailer, what do I use to protect it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.