Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Your thoughts on Formula boat purchase (Long) >

Your thoughts on Formula boat purchase (Long)

Notices

Your thoughts on Formula boat purchase (Long)

Old 02-12-2003, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in training all day today, so i didn't have time to read the posts. All the opinions are great!!! I do think we are middle class...wife and I are both accountants so we have our pencils sharp all the time. This has allowed us to afford an upgrade in boat. No other debt except mtg payment...which we just refinanced and save another $100 per month.

On the Black Thunder....nice, but I do not see much for re-sale and the crapper won't work for me...to tight for someone 6'3" 225#'s

Ray, The 47 fountain is nice, but I don't want to deal with tripple engines. Also, I didn't llike having to bend over so much in the cabin. Damn..I sound like a cry baby and I'm only 31. I'd love to get another go-fast...and will...but I want to try the sport cruiser and see if it really feets my taste????

Based on my discussion last night with the owner of dealer selling the boat we like, I have eliminated him from our selection process. I WILL NEVER BUY A BOAT OR RECOMMEND BUYING A BOAT FROM HIS DEALERSHIP...EVER! I was asked to come back down to the boat show to negotiate further...what a waste of my Fuc*ing time! There was just him probing me for lots of details like who else I've been talking to and in the end, was $10,000 higher then my other price. Said he will "shove it up the other dealers ass" if I take business from his area.

I informed him I shop for a boat like I shop for anything else. A nice honest person to deal with that wants my business by quoting me an attractive price. One that doesn't Blow me off or not return phone calls like individuals at his dealership. If he can't compete with other dealers on price, then get out of the business. That is how I am used to business in the auto industry. Enough said.

All other Formula dealers have always been very nice to me, especially Magicfloat. I will send you another email and maybe your 370 with 500's will work.

Both 400's are less than $200K and identical, except one does not have captains call exhaust. I can add that later. The two are $25K apart on price. The one very close to me and my friends has everything on it.

The paint schemes are sweet, especially the Garnet Red.

For the new boat, I am just concerned about the high loan value, with the state of the economy and potential for war. Compared to last boat, loans will be two or three times!!!

My passion for boating has not changed, it seems since our daughter was born last year, I am doing more number crunching on everything because I never want any of my passions to jeopordize her future.

So..I guess I am now looking for 46 Cig ....just joking

My/our decision should be made by Friday and I will post lots of pics on my web site.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:16 PM
Registered

96Vyper, would the dealer in question happen to have a name that sounds something like "Mcdonald's"? I'm curious, because I asked about them over at the www.lakestclair.net website (a nice resource for us SE Michigan guys, btw) and no one had anything good to say about them. I did get a few comments along the lines of "Momma always said, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything. So I'm not saying anything." Needless to say, that type of feedback would make me nervous about buying a boat from them...
Old 02-13-2003, 06:49 AM
Registered

Dockrocker,

You may have an idea of who I am referring to. If you want to buy a new formula, call me or let me know. I will give you the sales guy name and place of another dealer in the Great Lakes that will provide the type of service you would expect.

Or if you want to travel farther, see if MagicFloat has the 28ss in stock.

Time is ticking...two days to decision day...I hope.

Only thing that sucks is I am in training until Friday so it is making it hard to deal on boats.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:41 AM
Registered

That's what I thought - like I said, I've heard a fair amount of poor feedback about these guys, though to be fair, I've also talked to some people that say they are great. But I'm more inclined to lend weight to the bad stories; must be my suspicious nature... Of course, when we went to the Boat Show on Tuesday, they had 5 or 6 salespeople there, and not one of them would give us the time of day. Not even so much as a "can I help you" as we spent 20 minutes going over just the 260 and 280, looking through lockers, under benches, etc etc. Guess we didn't look serious enough for them.

Going to be a while before we're in the boat market... maybe by the time I can pull the finances together, you'll be selling the 370/400

Let us know what happens!
Old 02-13-2003, 10:34 AM
Registered

Take a hard look at Magicfloat's 2002 370SS. That boat with 500's will scream. Since the boat is a 2002, the other dealer can do nothing about you buying it. Magicfloat does not know me but I know of him from work I do with the FORMULA factory. I can tell you he is held in very high esteem by the factory and his customers. As you are an accountant, take FORMULA's financing, the numbers work. Enough said, call Magicfloat and have him send you a contract on the 370.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:27 PM
Registered

Default Formula purchase update

Well for all those that posted replies, just wanted everyone to know we made are decision and our offer was accepted today on a 2000 Formula 400 SS.

I will post pictures soon on my website.

Bought the one out of state with less than 150 hours. Fresh water boat with all the goodies. We are excited and can't wait to get out on the water this year.

Jobbienooner and Put-n-Bay will be a great time with the extra room and comfort!!

Thanks again for all the comments!

Mike
Old 03-11-2003, 09:30 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats and good luck with your new ride Remember the happiest day is the day you get it , the scond happiest is....
Old 03-11-2003, 10:15 PM
Registered

Hey Mike, congrats! Can't wait to see the new baby - we need pics, dammit!
Old 03-11-2003, 10:40 PM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

Well, I can tell you from experience and I'm sure others will agree, there is NOTHING better than turning the key's on a BRAND NEW boat. That fresh SMELL, not a nick or scratch to be had, The comfort of the warranty, The thought that no one else has had their nakid a$$ on your interior......Yeah If I were you I'd go NEW!!! P.S. You can pick the color scheme
Old 03-11-2003, 10:44 PM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

Hey Mike
Forget the last post about the Nakid A$$ on your interior. Just pretend I didn't mention that. Congrats on the 40

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on Formula boat purchase (Long)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.