Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need advice on a tow vehicle! >

Need advice on a tow vehicle!

Notices
View Poll Results: Which should I choose?
Dodge 3500 SLT with Cummings Diesel
45.83%
GMC 3500 base with 6.6 Duramax Diesel
54.17%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Need advice on a tow vehicle!

Old 02-13-2003, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Allison 1000 transmission makes the Chevy the best in towing.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:25 AM
(aka) Pure Adrenaline
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I have a chevy 2001 3500 dully with the Duramax and every option, 25,000 miles. My Cig & trailer weight is 14,040 lbs and it pulls like a dream. I like it so much I just ordered a new one yesterday. I like some of the new options. Someone can own mine for payoff if they want it, $ 30,000 or make me an offer.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:40 AM
Registered

Fountain1fan, How do you like the 6 speed tranny? Have heard several talk about starting in 4th gear, believe they call it progressive shifting in the big rigs. Was told you can use one gear in town from a stop light to 40+ mph. Any truth to the “fewer shifts” advertisement?
Old 02-13-2003, 08:43 AM
Registered

Just some more info,
The new Dodge supposedly has a new automatic. Hopefully it is better than the last one. Although I keep hearing how week the current one is and know a lot of people including myself that have these and have had no problems. Some of the trucks have close to 100k on the trannys pulling 11,000 racecar trailers.

Yes the new Chevy is awesome and the Allison is suppost to be the God of all trans's but it will cost you. Also I'm still waiting to see how those Izusu motors will be around 200k miles. I know my Cummins will last that long...It's just the truck I'm worried about
Old 02-13-2003, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Both trucks will do the job . Honestly the dodge does have more problems then the chevy . THe dodge is a little quieter at idle but makes the same noise as it did when running down the road . The 2003 dodge and chevy make good power . Up till now the dodge seamed to get the best milage .I haven't checked it lately .

When you ask people their opinion , you have to ask thoes that have had these trucks of the same year ! YOu can't compare a 2003 Dodge to a 1995 ford or chevy or vise versa !

MY opinion from many miles of experience in all of them
Right this minute ,

Chevy has the trans if you want an automatic. Power is good .
I just had a 2003 chevy for 2 months ,got rid of it . Didn't like the way it drives and neither did anyone else that I let drive it .

dodge's power is good but makes the most noise and has the most problems with front ends ,brakes , and frames (again, my experience). but may get better fuel milage then the chevy. 1-2 mpg.

I keep coming back to Ford. I have had several of every year model f350's. LOVE them ! The only bad thing about a Ford is the automatic but I wouldn't buy an automatic in a truck if you payed me ! POwer is great , ride is great, and have never had a problem with one since 1985 (glow plugs bad ) . Granted ,I don't keep them long . Some 50-60k miles some not . NOw that they have the new 6 litre and new trans I would bet that it will be the way to go ! I wish mine would get here soon ....... I've sold 4 F350s' and 1 excusion to customers but it figures mine is the one that got lost in the makings !!

Make your own choice and get the good warrentee !!! And yes , There are many power aids to help it go faster !! ( Thanks for the plug "CAT" ) They may not be needed but sure are fun ! I sell most brands but I do have my preferences for each truck .

D_Casten As for the six speed , Ford has a "LOW,1,2,3,4,5. you normaly start in 1 whitth 3.73 gears which is pretty low , you could start in 2 if you want . Dodge has 1,2,3,4,5,6. Same thing , 1 is a "low hole" .start in 2 but very low ,could start in 3 if empty . you'll Never start in 3rd in a ford or 4 th in a dodge . HAven't seen a chevy with a manual behind the D-max yet .
As for big trucks ,In my kenworth with the 10 speed I start in 3rd loaded or 4th empty and jump to 5th, 7th ,8,9,10. With an 18 speed I start in 4th and go to 7,,10, 13,,16,17,18. Only 250 rpm's betweeen shifts .YOu can skip a few with big power !!

Hope this helps . JOE
Old 02-13-2003, 01:45 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Dodge 3500 Crew Cab SLT with Cummings

I have a 2500 with the Cummings and I love it.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:01 PM
Registered

Last race season our tow vehicle was a 2002 GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax daully crewcab .We tow @ 15000 miles & averaged 12-13 mpg.This truck easily towed my 42' fountain /myco trailor at 70-80 mph. We sold this same ''KING OF ALL DAULLYS "to several other race teams with the same results.This season we added a chip to our 2003 GMC (90 EXTRA HP) .We pick up to 16-17mpg towing with more power than Ford or Dodge....

BIGOAKSOFFSHORE.COM P2-32
Old 02-13-2003, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey CAT, WHo's this boot guy your talkin about ?!?!

Now that sounds like some suckin up from a guy that wants the best price on his ranger chip .

I would bet the best one would be a super chip . They only make good stuff for ford gas engines and nothing else ! My second choice for your would be Diablo . They work real well when they work !! I would imagine they got the bugs worked out by now .that was last year . They make about the most power if they got them working right . I have honest contacts at the companies I can find the truth ! I sell hypertech and hypermax too . Wouldn't recomend them for you .

The only thing is , you HAVE TO RUN PREMIUM !!! Thats how they make their power . More timing and better fuel . I havent' done a 6 cylinder ranger yet . I have one too but I think we should experiment on yours !!!! Send me your e-mail address to [email protected] and I'll send you back some info and prices . JOE
Old 02-13-2003, 10:55 PM
Registered

Don't forget over 97% of the powerstrokes placed in service since 94 are still running. Don't know what the Dodge Cummins numbers are. I am interested to see how the Izuzus are holding up at 200,000 + miles.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:57 PM
baja_daddy

I have driven both and are both excellent choices.

However the new HO Cummins with the new 5 spd auto would be my choice. The engine is proven and I think that Dodge finally has their stuff together with the new truck. Plus you can get up to 20% off msrp...I drove a Hemi with the 5 spd and it is incredible!!

The Allison is a nice setup too but i have had a couple friends that have had problems with theirs...Not to mention that they paid about $6k more than what a nicer equipped Dodge would have been. The Dodge has the stiffest ride out of all the big dually's, but it is a sacrific to have the strongest truck available.

I have driven fords since '95 but next truck(hopefully soon) will be the new Dodge quad cab 4x4 Cummins HO/auto dually.

Quick Reply: Need advice on a tow vehicle!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.