Old 02-13-2003, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steel vs Aluminum Trailers

What are the pro's and con's?
Old 02-13-2003, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to hear some input on the subject also, mine is alum. and other than the fact that the steel looks better I can't think of any reason I'd want a steel trailer.?
Old 02-13-2003, 03:53 PM
Registered

If you are fresh water only go with steel. Less expensive and looks great. If you are in salt water, spend the extra for either aluminum or galvanized. You can get a decent looking galvanized trailer these days and the thing will last as long as your boat. Steel trailers will not last in salt water no mater what you do, one rock chip and the rust begins. You can destroy a trailer in as little as five years.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:04 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

The Steel trailer can't be beat is you are traveling around the country with your boat. The steel trailer can handle a lot more road abuse.

If you launch the boat into salt water than you want to go with the Aluminum or Galvanized.

I talked with a few trailer makers in Florida and they hate selling Aluminum trailers up in my area (NJ) because the roads up here are horrible with pot-holes galore.
Old 02-14-2003, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 02-14-2003, 06:47 AM
Registered

I have a aluminum trailer under my 1985 Wellcraft Excalibur Hawk 40 (it's a tank) The aluminum trailer saves me over 1000# compared to the same in steel, I have also had steel trailers under previous boats....the only advantages with the aluminum are they are lighter and you don't have to maintain the paint on them.....the one I have does seem to flex more than the steel trailers I have had, just my .02.....Fred
Old 02-14-2003, 06:59 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an aluminum one and love it. The only disadvantage I've ever see is triple axle ones sometimes tend to float , well , not really float but become boyant enough that if there is a current or tide flowing past the ramp the trailer will actually move to one side once in the water. Where I launch there is a pretty good tide going by , one way or the other and at times , triples have had to be tied to the dock to hold them in place .
My tandem has never been a problem that way
The extra boyancy of the two additional tires is just enough to cause a problem
Old 02-14-2003, 08:10 AM
WickedWon

Default Aluminium Works

I've had a dozen steel trailers before switching to aluminium, would never go back. It took a while to get used to the flexing, especially unloaded, the little 25' Performance trailer is no big deal, but the 50' MYCO puts on quite a show in the mirrows when it's unloaded. I've kept an eye on the welds over the last four years, there's been no problem except with the cheesey bias ply Goodyears, several threw the tread ( yes they were properly inflated and the weight was well under their capacity ) When I took them to the local GY dealer he said " see it all the time, sorry ". Mounted up seven new Michelins and moved on, a $15000.00 dollar trailer should come with them or at least be an option, MYCO are ya listening ? JD

Old 02-14-2003, 09:18 AM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We went from a steel myco under a 33' scarab to a aluminum myco. The steel stracked much better down the road. and just pulled AWSOME. The only problem was the rcok chips rusting... Hey we live in FL of course it is going into salt!

The aluminum IS much lighter, but we have the floating problem also... And not just in the salt water with the current but even on the fresh water lake. The resolution is having to add lead weight to the end of the trailer to keep it down. The steps are catching on the floating side and tearing up the bunk, as well as taking a small chunk of the step.

Oh... Both are the same tailer just dofferent materials... triple axle with drive gaurds.

my .02
Old 02-14-2003, 09:58 AM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The foam Idea would not work for us... We tow the boat to south FL, the west, and east coasts of FL as well as destin and other places.. I am not sure what you consider high speed but we go down the road at a pretty good clip.. 75-80 is not unheard of.

Quick Reply: Steel vs Aluminum Trailers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.