BREAKING NEWS--Explosion in NY

Old 02-21-2003, 10:09 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default BREAKING NEWS--Explosion in NY

Explosion and Fire Off New York Oil Terminal
Fri February 21, 2003 10:59 AM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A fuel barge caught fire near an oil storage terminal off New York's Staten Island on Friday, but the immediate cause of the blaze was not known, fire officials said.
Law enforcement officials said there were no initial indications that it was anything other than an accident.

U.S. Coast Guard officials said the facility was owned by Exxon Mobil, the world's largest oil company.

Initial reports from fire officials described the barge as carrying propane.

Residents of the New York borough and nearby towns in New Jersey said they heard an explosion and felt the ground and houses shake.

"A barge was being refueled and it somehow caught fire," Fire Chief William Van Ward of the New York Fire Department said on local WNBC-TV.

The explosion and fire, in the waterway known as Arthur Kill between Staten Island and New Jersey, sent huge clouds of black smoke and flames into the sky that could be seen from Manhattan.

There were no immediate reports of casualties or on the extent of the damage, officials said.

"There was a loud explosion like something fell on our house," Reuters reporter Rene Pastor said from Perth Amboy, New Jersey. "We rushed out and saw thick black smoke in the air, with flames shooting up into the sky."
Old 02-21-2003, 10:14 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

The refinery is about 1 mile north of the Outerbridge Crossing, I felt impact from the explosion all the way in Keyport, NJ. My windows rattled and my blinds lifted from the window. Black smoke is covering the sky from NJ through LI.

The fire is actually burning on the water. Two seperate fires.

They are saying it is not terrorist related, but it is being investigated.

For updated information go to:
Reuters

OR
Yahoo News

Last edited by Lucididee; 02-21-2003 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:23 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Staten Island Refinery Blast Sparks Fire
4 minutes ago Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By ELIZABETH LeSURE

NEW YORK - An explosion rocked an oil refinery on the edge of Staten Island, sending black smoke and flames hundreds of feet into the air.

"We have a preliminary report that a tanker was transferring a product or was being fueled and somehow ignited," Fire Department Chief William Van Wart said.

The explosion was reported at Port Mobile, near the Outerbridge Crossing in the southwestern part of Staten Island, said a spokeswoman for the Staten Island borough office. The fire started at 10:10 a.m., according to a spokeswoman for the New York Fire Department.

No injuries were immediately reported.

FBI (news - web sites) spokesman Steve Kodak in Newark, N.J., said there was no indication of terrorism. However, FBI officials in Washington said they were still examining it because a refinery is the type of infrastructure terrorists might target.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Staten Island Borough President James Molinaro were on their way to the scene.

The refinery faced the Arthur Kill waterway and New Jersey, but the smoke and flames could be seen many miles away in midtown Manhattan and in Trenton, N.J., which is about 35 miles away.

City officials said residents were not in immediate danger.

"At this point, people should not take any special precautions. It's unlikely this could spread to a residential area," Bloomberg said shortly after the fire was reported.

Brian Roehrkasse, a spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security, said the department "is closely monitoring the situation with local state authorities and other federal agencies as well as assisting in the coordination of the response."

Port Authority spokesman Steve Coleman said the New York-bound lanes of the Outerbridge Crossing were closed to speed emergency vehicles to the site. Operations at Newark Airport were not affected by the explosion.

Coleman said, "We're there to assist if any evacuation are necessary."
Old 02-21-2003, 10:42 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

The refinery is Exxon/Mobile.

If in NJ or NY put on your am radio and tune into 880.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:55 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Smoke from an oil storage facility explosion on Staten Island, is seen from The Rainbow Room in Manhattan borough of New York, Friday Feb. 21, 2003. The explosion, which could be heard several miles away, occurred at the edge of Port Mobile, near the Outerbridge Crossing that links the island to Woodbridge, N.J., in the southwestern part of Staten Island. (AP Photo/Bebeto Matthews)
Attached Thumbnails BREAKING NEWS--Explosion in NY-smoke-over-ny.jpg  
Old 02-21-2003, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man..that's an eerie site..NYC with the black smoke...just gave me the chills....

Old 02-21-2003, 11:04 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Worries are now the gas still on the barge under the water, and that there is still some gas in the lines under ground and the lines that go to the end of the dock.

Oil is already up $.83 a barrel.

The Outerbridge crossing is closed, open to emergency vehicles only.

I agree with you BodyShot, the whole thing has a eerie feeling to it.
Attached Thumbnails BREAKING NEWS--Explosion in NY-refinerey-smoke-flames.jpg  

Last edited by Lucididee; 02-21-2003 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last fire we had here at an Indiana refinery kicked pump prices up in some kind of panic...hope it dosen't happen to you guys on the east coast.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:17 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

What the hell is going on.

There was an explosion in TEXAS at an empty home.

Yesterday was a plant in Kentucky.

2-3 weeks ago there was an explosion at a plastics plant in North Carolina.

May have heard wrong, but I thought I heard that there was also a chemical plant explosion today in Texas.

I makes me think weird things. Is anyone thinking what I'm thinking.

Now this is pure speculation. 3 accidents in less than 1 week. Is this a new form of terrorism? Get employess on suicide missions to commit accidents. I am probably way way off. But it makes you think.

Last edited by Lucididee; 02-21-2003 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:42 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

They are saying that you can see the smoke from at least 60 miles away.
Attached Thumbnails BREAKING NEWS--Explosion in NY-oh-my-god.jpg  

Quick Reply: BREAKING NEWS--Explosion in NY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.