Notices

Offshore Race ???

Old 02-22-2003, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Offshore Race ???

I am not looking to start another APBA / SBI debate. I would like to attend some races this year. Since I have never attended one before, I am not sure of what all goes on. I have looked on both APBA and SBI websites and find that APBAs is not very informative. Some of the questions I have are:

Do the same people/boats race in both APBA and SBI?
Are these events free to watch or is there a charge?
Should I plan a whole weekend or is it a 1 day event?
How do you know where the best place to watch is?

I'm sure I have other questions, but, this is a good start.
Old 02-22-2003, 09:02 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,161 Likes on 3,670 Posts

some people race both sbi/apba,
most events are free to veiw , for some extra good view and other amenities you may pay.
it is a weekend event plan on more than one day, apba races two days, sbi usually one
as for viewing use common sense download the course from the perspective site, and figure it out.

stcloud is the first race and fun to watch.
Old 02-22-2003, 09:03 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Gator:
-Some racers race in both series APBA/SBI some don't
- Daytona is free unless you want to be on the peir or the top of the restaurant on the pier.
-Boats start in the Daytona track infield on Friday and races are Saturday and Sunday..
-St Cloud is free unless you want the bleachers
-It is also a 3 day affair with races on Sat and Sun

Both are great venues....WET/HOT pits also cost ypou $$
Old 02-22-2003, 09:07 PM
Banned

Gator, we went to Daytona last year and had a ball. The boats race close to the beach, it's nice not even having to leave the Tiki Bar and watch the race. They also had the radio broadcast of it over the soundsystem at the Tiki Bar. It makes it easier to keep up with who is winning what when there are three or four classes running at the same time. I will probably be making our reservations for a motel next week. Let us know if you go, we'll try to hook up.
Old 02-22-2003, 09:23 PM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't waste your money on SBI unless your in the aera. Less boats, lack rules (unless your a sponser than their are NO rules) great place to party with guys that can't win by the book. Not starting a APBA-SBI thing just my .02 (or facts) you decide. Just look at last years season.

Pete
Old 02-23-2003, 07:03 PM
Registered

Cuda, what tiki bar? I saw a post for someone who booked a block of rooms at the Holiday Inn for $89, thinking about doing that.

Should reservations be made in advance for there or the Pier?
Old 02-23-2003, 07:13 PM
xtremeracingf1

Gmhdfan,
Yes we do party,but when the flag drops the bull**** stops.Any time you think you can hang with the big boys,we can put your ass in a seat and see how you do then you can put your 2cents in.Some people always have negative things to say and that why the sport will never get any better.You have a new fan online and already you give him a taste of the bull**** and blow smoke you his a$$.If everyone one would be alittle more posative it would be better for the sport not APBA or SBI but the sport.Every racer SBI and APBA put their life on the line every thime they get in a boat and all for the fan.All you can say is we dont race by the book,what book would that be??? APBA book.So I guess what your saying is APBA is the Bible and everyone has to agree with their rules...WRONG.Do you rhome work before you talk....

Frank
Koolhand

Old 02-23-2003, 07:33 PM
Kent Perroux

Both sanctions are a blast to watch; both have their own folowing and styles. Yes, APBA is pretty strict with more equal playing fields, but SBI has some really nasty boats (in a good sense).

Most races are transimitted on radio so you are do not necessarily need to be at a place where there are loudspeakers.

St. Cloud - Easy access to the wet-pits. Usually about $10 to get into the wet pits to see the boats and racers up close, but you can also view pretty close without. Recommended to pay the fee(usually $10) for the island which gets you pretty close to the course if you are not in a boat. If you have a boat, the best spot is on the south east corner (at turn 1)

Daytona has several viewing choices. 1) The beach. Small charge (I think per car), but turn on the radio and you have a 1st class seat. 2) The pier is excellent. You can also pick up a VIP pass which gets you a few extra's. Or any hotels along the course and tiki bars. By boat can be a bit bumpy. Wet pits there were not too good for viewing, but the race course was probably the best.

Yes, the best pre-planning is by downloading the race-packets. They will give you the course layout, hotels, pits, and schedules.

Old 02-23-2003, 08:07 PM
TulsaLarry

Gator, the most important thing is to go to any of the races you can. I have been to a few of the APBA races and would go to SBI given the chance. I love the wet pits but they are getting harder to get into at most races. One thing I enjoy doing, that I never hear anyone talking about, is going to the wash pits after the races. It usually gives you a chance to hear some good BS stories about what went on during the races.

Have fun and maybe I'll see you at the races one of these days.

Old 02-23-2003, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

The rooms are in Daytona and all the info is on the racers milling area.The invite is firt come first serve just mention Typhoon when you call
Randy

Quick Reply: Offshore Race ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.