Notices

"VTEC" Idea in a boat?

Old 02-25-2003, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "VTEC" Idea in a boat?

Just wondering why there is no type of cam like a VTEC in a Honda in a boat? Wouldnt you get better all around power?

For everyone who dosent know how VTEC works.... For every 2 Valves, there are 3 lobes on the cam, when the engine gets to a certain RPM, a pin is put in place and the valves go from using the 2 fuel efficent lobes to the 1 lobe with more rise and duration.

Tommy
Old 02-25-2003, 03:13 PM
Registered

the vtec adds horsepower at higher rpms. a boat motor just uses the higher lift lobes all the time you need the low rpm torque to get on plane. I think of a vtec not as a motor that pulls harder at high rpm but one that doesn't pull at all untill the rpm gets up.
Sorry but I work at a honda dealership and I'm so sick of hearing "my rice burner is fast cause its a vtec."
Old 02-25-2003, 03:21 PM
Registered

I know, I hear that every day at school!! Have you ever heard a Honda 1.6 w/ VTEC at 9,000rpm? That is one of the neatest sounds I have ever heard...
Old 02-25-2003, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by JUST ONCE
the vtec adds horsepower at higher rpms. a boat motor just uses the higher lift lobes all the time you need the low rpm torque to get on plane. I think of a vtec not as a motor that pulls harder at high rpm but one that doesn't pull at all untill the rpm gets up.
Sorry but I work at a honda dealership and I'm so sick of hearing "my rice burner is fast cause its a vtec."
This is my impression also. It doesn't really do a whole lot down low. I think it's marketing genius for disguising it as an economy feature and not a power building feature.

It de-rates the power down low, not adding power up high.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:42 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There has been a form of the vtec motor in a boat. Toyota motor corporation marinized the same V8 that they put in the lexus GS400. the VVTI motor was converted for marine use by toyota I believe 4 years ago, they could not decide on what to do with the motor( choseing a builder to sell them to) so they got into the marine buisness themselves. Along came Toyota Marine Sports. They chose to enter the skiboat market(still not sure why that highly competative niche market?) They built boats for about 3 years, then closed up shop. My mother worked for them until she went to chris-craft.... The boat was a pretty nice boat... they just could not get the "back office" to run smoothly enough to stay open.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:52 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

And they did put a couple of ZR-1 engines in boats. (sure like to know what they are worth!) The ZR-1 had a valve that closed off the intake port to one valve to improve the low rpm torque. Not as sophisticated as the Vtec, but hey, it's was pretty hot in it's day.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:01 PM
Registered

I just thought about this... Wouldnt It help big motor boats with breaking drives? It would keep power down until a certain RPM, then give more top end?
Old 02-25-2003, 05:06 PM
Registered

I think that they may have that in the new Honda outboards ?

I think I saw something on Powerboat Show last week.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Efficiency

The VTEC is all about efficiency and EPA gas mileage charts.

Boaters don't care as much about efficiency, especially performance boaters.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:44 AM
Registered

everything has its niche in the market as do vtecs but theres isn't boats its its jet skis.

Quick Reply: "VTEC" Idea in a boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.