Notices

OT Whats this all about?

Old 03-05-2003, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OT Whats this all about?

Man Arrested for Wearing Peace T-Shirt

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- A man was charged with trespassing in a mall after he refused to take off a T-shirt that said "Peace on Earth" and "Give peace a chance."

Mall security approached Stephen Downs, 61, and his 31-year-old son, Roger, on Monday night after they were spotted wearing the T-shirts at Crossgates Mall in a suburb of Albany, the men said.

The two said they were asked to remove the shirts made at a store there, or leave the mall. They refused.

The guards returned with a police officer who repeated the ultimatum. The son took his T-shirt off, but the father refused.

"'I said, `All right then, arrest me if you have to,'" Downs said. "So that's what they did. They put the handcuffs on and took me away."

Downs pleaded innocent to the charges Monday night. The New York Civil Liberties Union said it would help with his case if asked.

Police Chief James Murley said his officers were just responding to a complaint by mall security.

"We don't care what they have on their shirts, but they were asked to leave the property, and it's private property," Murley said.

A mall spokeswoman did not return calls Tuesday seeking comment.

Monday's arrest came less than three months after about 20 peace activists wearing similar T-shirts were told to leave by mall security and police. There were no arrests.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:57 AM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know that mall... I used to live up there.... hahaha...... nice... some heads are going to roll for that one....

I smell lawsuit!
Old 03-05-2003, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It is private property -- they can tell you to leave at any time for any reason as long as it is not race related. If you refuse you can be legally arrested. I wish more people in this country would have this attitude. ( the mall owners that is ) I personally think that these people that are protesting for peace are in truth protesting against bush. If they were for peace then WHY didn't they take action when CLINTON did what he did. These people need to wake up and do some studying that isn't leftist based.

Last edited by Tinkerer; 03-05-2003 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Registered

I think if we were to see a photo of these two, we may know why they were asked to leave..........a 61 year old man and his 31 year old son hanging out at the mall together ??????
Old 03-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Registered

I will have to agree with Risk Taker. I doubt these clowns were doing any shopping at the mall. I'm sure there is more to the story. Typical BS only printing what you want to be seen... I would bet money that if they were shopping (this is the reason to be in the mall), there wouldn't have been a problem...
Old 03-05-2003, 09:50 AM
Registered

Old 03-05-2003, 09:57 AM
Registered

Troutly -

LMFAO

Still laughing..........
Old 03-05-2003, 09:58 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by Risk Taker
I think if we were to see a photo of these two, we may know why they were asked to leave..........a 61 year old man and his 31 year old son hanging out at the mall together ??????
I agree with RT this smells a bit probably some information cleverly omitted by wathever entity that published this.
Always check the source and their agenda

Whatever these people wanted they got. Publicity
Old 03-05-2003, 10:05 AM
Registered

Well.....I found the story, and it's as bad a we thought. he is an attorney, and his son is an Ecologist.......

Story here
Old 03-05-2003, 10:27 AM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We had something similiar here in Orlando when a new mall opened up.... A bunch of people where asked to leave because of the way they where dressed.... Many where shopping and buying merchandise also... one was picking up a new laptop he had ordered from the apple store in the mall. Another was asked to leave after buying some $600 pair of shoes with is girlfriend!

Quick Reply: OT Whats this all about?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.