Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Top 5 Recognized Performance Manufacturers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/45067-top-5-recognized-performance-manufacturers.html)

Audiofn 03-11-2003 07:35 AM

Top 5 Recognized Performance Manufacturers

I want to see what you guys think are the top 5 recognized boat manufacturers. I mean John Q public, not just high performance boaters. I am going to guess that the top 3 or so will be the same across the country but the 4 and 5 position will depend on were you live maybe due to a local builder or something like that.

My top 5 looks like this, and leaves in my mind no doubt that Don Arronow was a marketing genious.

1) Cig

2) Formula

3) Donzi

4) Fountain

5) Hustler

Shane 03-11-2003 07:38 AM

I think Sea Ray has to be in there somewhere. Cigarette will definitely be on the TOP though. No doubt about it. Cool thread!

florida gator 03-11-2003 07:38 AM

Donzi
Cig
Scarab
Formula
Fountain

Back4More 03-11-2003 07:46 AM

Cigarette
Fountain
Skater
Outerlimits
Formula

Airpacker 03-11-2003 07:48 AM

I think you are correct that it will be very geographically oriented.

Mass media wise, I would say :
1) Cig
2)Donzi
3)Fountain
4)Formula
5)Skater

CigDaze 03-11-2003 07:52 AM

Re: Top 5 Recognized Performance Manufacturers

Originally posted by Audiofn
I mean from ALL people not just high performance boaters
In that case, I'd have to say:

1)Cigarette
2)Fountain
3)Formula
4)Donzi
5)Baja

Audiofn 03-11-2003 07:53 AM

Do you guys find that the average joe walking down the street knows what a Skater or Baja is? Just currious because if you walked up to anyone around hear and asked them they would think you were talking about a fish or a race.

Jon

cuda 03-11-2003 07:53 AM

Cig
Formula
Donzi
Fountain
Scarab

388Hustler 03-11-2003 08:01 AM

1. Cigarette
2. Fountain
3. Formula
4. Hustler
5. Baja

These are probably the most popular around my area. I personally like Outer Limits, but you don't see very many around KY.

jafo 03-11-2003 08:01 AM

Re: Top 5 Recognized Performance Manufacturers

Originally posted by Audiofn
top 5 recognized boat manufacturers.
Jon- If your intent is to question the general public's knowledge of ALL boats, the answers are only going to probably have two performance oriented boats. John Q. Public lumps us all together into Cigarettes. The other would have to be Baja just because there is some many of them, that's what is seen often.

Do you mean all powerboats? The answers are going to be completely different if fishing and yachting are included.
Jim

388Hustler 03-11-2003 08:03 AM

Audio - We have a chit load of Baja's down here in KY.

Audiofn 03-11-2003 08:17 AM

Originally posted by 388Hustler
Audio - We have a chit load of Baja's down here in KY.
That is cool that is why I said it would be geographic for the bottom couple. I figure for reasons that Jafo stated that the top one anyhow would be the same. Everyone calls our type of boats CIGAR boats :D

Jafo I am talking PERFORMANCE BOATS. I think that there is some serious name recognition going on out there. I feel that Cig. with Don A. has done the best job so far.

Jon

Shane 03-11-2003 08:21 AM

Oops, my fault, I did not read carefully! Performance boats...

1. Cigarette
2. Donzi
3. Formula
4. Fountain
5. Baja

388Hustler 03-11-2003 08:24 AM

Audio - There is absolutely no doubt about the name recognition. MOST average people call our style of boat "Cigarette or Cigar". I'm sure someone will want to argue about it...

SPWilson 03-11-2003 08:44 AM

Key Words - "Performance" and "Recognized"....not to be confused with popular?
Cigarette and Fountain are definitely at the top, but in my opinion, Fountain is probably "Recognized" easier/more often than Cig...from a distance, most of them look like a Cig, EXCEPT the Fountain since Reggie has the beak w/platform. After that, it would be "Skater", if it falls into the "performance" category.

Zero Cavity 03-11-2003 08:48 AM

Your regular Joe or Jose might know :

Cigarette
Baja
Fountain
Donzi
Formula

OldSchool 03-11-2003 08:51 AM

V Bottoms

Cigarette
Fountain
Formula
Donzi
Baja

Baja has to be included because they make more boats than anyone else..and they advertise alot

sgrady 03-11-2003 08:57 AM

Recognized on the water.

Fountain
Sonic (Reverse Arch)
Old Scarabs (KV's)
Baja
Cigarette

Names

Fountain
Cigarette
Baja
Formula
Donzi

My .02:D

BLee 03-11-2003 09:05 AM

Ok, all are good but your all missing the obvious one.

SCARAB (Miami Vice, 80's, Don Johnson) cmon!

EVERYBODY has heard of Scarab

BAJA WILL 03-11-2003 09:09 AM

For average person

Cigarette
Baja
Fountain
Donzi
Formula
;)

Dave M 03-11-2003 09:15 AM

Fountain
Cigarette
Baja
Formula
Donzi

I agree with these being the most recognized names by the general public. I just asked three of my co-workers, one owns a boat (not performance) and the other two don't.

None of the three have ever heard of Hustler, Outerlimits, or Skater.

They all new Cig, Baja, Fountain, Donzi and "I think" Formula.

388Hustler 03-11-2003 09:20 AM

Dave - Three of the best kept secrets I can think of. ;)

Audiofn 03-11-2003 09:25 AM

Originally posted by 388Hustler
Dave - Three of the best kept secrets I can think of. ;)
You got that right!!!! :D:D:D:D

Jon

florida gator 03-11-2003 09:27 AM

Originally posted by cigracer28
Ok, all are good but your all missing the obvious one.

SCARAB (Miami Vice, 80's, Don Johnson) cmon!

EVERYBODY has heard of Scarab

Got that one.

JaayTeee 03-11-2003 09:31 AM

If this is just a "name dropping"
thing i would say:

All boats:

1. Bayliner

2. Sea Ray

3. Four Winns

4. Chris Craft

5. Cobalt

Performance Boats

1. Cigarette

2. Scarab

3. Formula

4. Baja

5. Fountain

Dock Holiday 03-11-2003 09:37 AM

I think it varies from region to region. In the North Carolina area I vote the following.

1) Baja
2) Fountain
3) Formula
4) Donzi
5) Velocity

audacity 03-11-2003 09:42 AM

i would have to say donzi...every where we go people know the name...i think they picture the sweeeet 16...that was my dream boat when i was 6!....i never grew up....actually i still want one:D

JaayTeee 03-11-2003 09:45 AM

Jon,

How about a poll on this ???

Dredgeking 03-11-2003 09:45 AM

i haven't met a John Q that knew what a skater was. here in texas, John Q doesn't know what a donzi is. but everyone knows Baja, Scarab, and Cig.

audacity 03-11-2003 09:56 AM

are we including people that DON'T know boats at all???i think if your around a large body of water vs a small in-land lake these #'s would vary....don't think baja was even an option when Don A. was in the news...

donzi, cg ("what kind of boat do you have?"...)....scarab due to miami vice....some people that were watching had never even seen the ocean!

...so the only way of measuring that would be what boats are in the (non boating)media...i think those 3 w/o a question at the big dogs

cg and donzi(more than anyone) are currently in todays movies.

Ratchet 03-11-2003 09:59 AM

Cool post..........

Cig
Scarab
Formula
Fountain
Donzi

The reason I listed the Cig & scarab at the top is beacause I've heard a lot of people refer to most performance boats a cigarettes, or scarab type boats.

Either way, I think all of the fore-mentioned are high up on most people's lists.

RJ

Ratchet 03-11-2003 10:00 AM

Originally posted by Ratchet
Cool post..........

Cig
Scarab
Formula
Fountain
Donzi

The reason I listed the Cig & scarab at the top is beacause I've heard a lot of people refer to most performance boats a cigarettes, or scarab type boats.

Either way, I think all of the fore-mentioned are high up on most people's lists.

RJ

Actually, those were more of the classics................there are some new ones that are carving their names though !

jafo 03-11-2003 10:12 AM

Good thread Jon!

I've asked a few people this morning (about half and half boaters to non-boaters)
The boaters are non-performance types.

What came up consistently with the boaters was Cigarette, Scarab, Formula and Baja. They didn't know the names 'Skater', 'OuterLimits', and got a 'kinda' on Donzi.
The non-boat owners knew Cigarette, Scarab ("those were on that show Miami Vice right?") and Baja (just because someone in the neighborhood has one). I rattled off a lot of familiar names to us to both groups, and they 'never heard of them'.

Cigarette is a stereotype with John Q., just like all corporate jets are LearJets ...:rolleyes:

WARPAINT 03-11-2003 10:49 AM

APACHE

CIGARETTE

FORMULA

MAGNUM

DONZI

;)

Biggus 03-11-2003 10:50 AM

Where I live, up here in Maine, there are not very many performance boats and we have the only Cig on the lake. It surprises me when I am wearing a Cigarette sweatshirt and people ask me what it means and they tell me they have never heard of one!

Just goes to show,. there is still an untapped market up here.

although a lot of the older folks know what a Donzi is:D

Kurt....spewing mindless drivel:D :D :D

timucin 03-11-2003 11:05 AM

1)Cigarette
2)Formula
3)Fountain
4)Donzi
5)Baja

T2x 03-11-2003 11:20 AM

Arena Craft
Norris Craft
Traveler
Lone Star
Duo

In no particular order...........................:p

T2x

bajadude 03-11-2003 11:44 AM

Up here, I think it woulld be

Cig
Fountain
Baja
Donzi
Formula

Julio 03-11-2003 11:52 AM

Being a Powerquest owner, I'd have to put Powerquest somewhere in there, would also include Sunsation.

1. Cig
2. Fountain
3. Powerquest
4. Baja
5. Sunsation

Not necessarly in this order!

Jana 03-11-2003 11:59 AM

For the non-performance boaters I've met, I can't even do five:

Cig
Scarab
Fountain (maybe)
Baja (maybe)

(My Fountain is almost always "Is that something like a Cigarette (Cigar) boat?" to those not familiar with the sport.)